Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Stargate Network

4 posters

Go down

Official Stargate Network Empty Official Stargate Network

Post by Mr_Pleco 24/5/2011, 10:33 pm

Theta and I have been dreaming up some crazy schemes for making transport in game more accessible without totally devaluing current mechanics like minecraft rails and powered rails and such.

So, I installed and set up the stargate bukkit plugin. Theta and I decided to build a portal hub of sorts to connect the extended portal network with a central location.

To distinguish between the portals we will build a floating island in a very remote location, then build a map on the island that will be a 1/32 scale representation of the minecraft world. We'll use colored blocks to represent the different biomes.

On the map we'll have portals set up at coordinates that represent their real world coordinates. So the test portal tower that I built at approx -1600, 0 (x,z) will be at -50, 0 on the map. It's in a huge awesome tundra biome, so it will be surrounded by snow blocks on the map.

Right now I need design input on the towers. Basically I want a simple cobblestone tower with lit netherrack at the top over the portal so it can be found easily at night AND give a good outlook of the lands surrounding it.

It's 5x5 at the base, narrows to a 3x3 shaft with a ladder inside so you can't fall, and expands to a 5x5 platform at the top.

How does this look?

Spoiler:
Mr_Pleco
Mr_Pleco
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Official Stargate Network Empty Re: Official Stargate Network

Post by Jrod 25/5/2011, 7:58 pm

Not sure if the stargate has to be in open air or not; if not then you should close up the top so the dark obsidian doesn't stick out so much in the nice landscape. Also smooth stone would look better with the default texture pack than cobblestone. It's all about dem aesthetics.
Jrod
Jrod
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr_Pleco 25/5/2011, 8:56 pm

Jrod wrote:Not sure if the stargate has to be in open air or not; if not then you should close up the top so the dark obsidian doesn't stick out so much in the nice landscape. Also smooth stone would look better with the default texture pack than cobblestone. It's all about dem aesthetics.

I thought about closing it up, but I also want it to stand out a lot. Each stargate tower is going to be a hub, so it will be an important part of the landscape and needs to be easily recognizable. =)

I would use smoothstone too, but I'm making 24 of these in a 5x5 grid (not one in the middle) so that's too much smoothstone to carry around and potentially lose. =/
Mr_Pleco
Mr_Pleco
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr_Pleco 25/5/2011, 9:01 pm

[ADMIN] Dr Kort wrote:
Jrod wrote:Not sure if the stargate has to be in open air or not; if not then you should close up the top so the dark obsidian doesn't stick out so much in the nice landscape. Also smooth stone would look better with the default texture pack than cobblestone. It's all about dem aesthetics.

I thought about closing it up, but I also want it to stand out a lot. Each stargate tower is going to be a hub, so it will be an important part of the landscape and needs to be easily recognizable. =)

I would use smoothstone too, but I'm making 24 of these in a 5x5 grid (not one in the middle) so that's too much smoothstone to carry around and potentially lose. =/

I was just thinking, I could get really fancy and make the base a 7x7 square, then every 8 blocks shrink it 1 square, so it goes 7x7 => 6x6 to 3x3 and a platform at the top. It would be a lot bigger but would look a lot cooler I think, especially if I built it with a tower of sauron type of feel where the portal could be the "eye" of sauron. =)

Inspiriation:

Official Stargate Network Mordor
Official Stargate Network Stonetower2
Mr_Pleco
Mr_Pleco
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jrod 25/5/2011, 9:33 pm

Spoiler:

Step pieces are far easier to craft than smooth stone and are more flexible for building structures than any ordinary block. Also the tower Barad-dur is nothing without Mount Doom in the background.
Jrod
Jrod
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex18 25/5/2011, 9:34 pm

Haha epic Very Happy LotR ftw Smile
Alex18
Alex18
Forum Addict (750 posts)
Forum Addict (750 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr_Pleco 27/5/2011, 1:38 am

[ADMIN] Dr Kort wrote:
[ADMIN] Dr Kort wrote:

I was just thinking, I could get really fancy and make the base a 7x7 square, then every 8 blocks shrink it 1 square, so it goes 7x7 => 6x6 to 3x3 and a platform at the top. It would be a lot bigger but would look a lot cooler I think, especially if I built it with a tower of sauron type of feel where the portal could be the "eye" of sauron. =)

Inspiriation:
Spoiler:

I think this is a good base so far... I'm going to add more details later because that's a pain in the ass lol

Official Stargate Network 20110526213320

Bit of a different perspective:

Official Stargate Network 20110526215207
Mr_Pleco
Mr_Pleco
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Aezure 27/5/2011, 7:19 am

Put the portals in the centre of the top platform, will look a lot better imho.
Aezure
Aezure
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

http://5jungle.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex18 27/5/2011, 7:24 am

I agree with Aez Smile however that's the only fault I can find, the design is awesome Smile
Alex18
Alex18
Forum Addict (750 posts)
Forum Addict (750 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr_Pleco 27/5/2011, 3:00 pm

Aezure wrote:Put the portals in the centre of the top platform, will look a lot better imho.

Yeah, I want to do that but the problem is things are very crowded up top when it's in the middle. =(

The first time you go out there you'll see what I mean.
Mr_Pleco
Mr_Pleco
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr_Pleco 27/5/2011, 10:35 pm

The "decoration" in action on the tower. Notice the difference?

Official Stargate Network 20110527182804s

Also a shot of the inside at the base.

Official Stargate Network 20110527183018
Mr_Pleco
Mr_Pleco
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down