Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Inactive/Overnight Flipping [DETAILED GUIDE]

+124
junkmul
SneakyDylan
fwak axx ho
MinhZor
im 4 manning
asapwnz
helloim96
SyrianXSnake
garuda17
k0 purein
TechHead
NachoDragon
Kuston
Jorsin Alkes
i 0wn u xd
Mégas Aléxandros
alexx1156
p0wndude21
Skybreeder
pkr steve
The Shah
chaostank88
iwillkillyo
Merch me sideways
enemychris
Choschkee
Aiiight
deathray75
Malasney
dyziek93
Easy
123FAILGamer
Fatal
th3 last 0n3
Timmeh
I sell cowz
Toshiba
Dr Min
Sodayodadude
DaddyFrankis
darklink2468
Silver drop
Julian
baraum3
timetosplit9
jdslasher
pcap
Juicyy
kikyo09
Flip4life
Discomfort
Aventine
empiredragoon
Arctic Unit
falien god
Cimbom GS
99strko
Antidote
Inf3cti0us
wizza
jpico444
Ovos
dr.parthat
k4k
shadowknight
moneyonfire
Jalpero
qwertyXz
dr merchy
teabag
Naxea
Pontuzz
SmokinBish
Shuriken236
Julij2
Maiden
yews n coal
Quest
pokeguyx
Slain Curse
18 ryan 18
mlb sk1ller
shunks
ehretbasebal
Tiacta
rabbidpillow
hockeydude4894
recpaintballer89
xunboundx
bottorofhell
ExPert Friiskyy
I Pk Yews I
I NEED MONEY
ModdingMerch
Umyo RS
kierren6
Phizzledawg
Merkz
ashbash361
Vallaquenta
gibaneles
ThomasH
Sprangbanger
Canaris
kilikextreme
killview53
hcimS
Angelus
ITIint
Hyzon
Lepage Eh
Watinko
lukien
Qevin
jokerman
burntn1ps
Norge_Ranged
StrobeIight
Google
Huso61
Sonic
Mitch
dragon slayer
DURC
128 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Inactive/Overnight Flipping [DETAILED GUIDE] Empty Inactive/Overnight Flipping [DETAILED GUIDE]

Post by DURC 10/7/2011, 9:41 am

Welcome to DURC's Inactive/Overnight Flipping Guide!
Inactive/Overnight Flipping [DETAILED GUIDE] Durcclipped
I see a lot of people at the moment asking for help with inactive and overnight flipping/merchanting, so I thought I'd make a guide to try and help people for future reference. One thing I will note here, inactive/overnight flipping is different from investing/predicting price changes. I may create a guide later on to advise on this, but this guide is not dedicated to that and will not involve it as it is a completely different part of merchanting. Also, if you're new to flipping I'd reccomend you to first check out Watinko's do not's of flipping before moving onto inactive/overnight flipping, click HERE

UPDATE: Modification to the 4 hour GE limit

In principle nothing changes, at no point in this guide did it assume that that you would need to have your full 4 hour limit, neither did it advise price checking by instant buying and selling as you would with normal active flipping. However, it does assume any stepped graph item would be worthy. Therefore, although the content of this guide does not need to be modified as the same method still applies, what I would now advise is that you tend to focus on step graphs with higher 4 hour limits, and not those with very low limits (such as treasure trail items that only allow 2 to be bought every 4 hours). Or that those step graphs of items with lower limits, that you focus on them for overnight flipping where-by you can take advantage of two or three 4 hour limits over the course of the night. With this in mind, you should have no troubles with the modification to the 4 hour GE limit.

What is the difference between inactive and overnight flipping?

There is really not very much difference. Essentially the difference is that an inactive flip may be 2-4 hours whereas an overnight flip will be 8+ hours. The principles remain the same, however there are different things you can take advantage of in overnight flipping that you can't in inactive flipping and you also have to be more careful with overnight flipping due to the extended period of time.

Why overnight/inactive flip?

A lot of people have never considered inactive or overnight flipping so I will give a brief introduction as to why you should do it. First of all it is very time efficient. You are pretty much making money whilst not playing Runescape, essentially free money. You're following the same principles of standard flipping (i.e. taking advantage of people's impatience) but to a greater extreme due to the nature of the items. With the help of this guide I have no doubt that you should be able to make a tidy profit alongside your standard flipping.

What methods of inactive/overnight flipping is there?

There are two main methods of such flipping. One is choosing items that aren't that commonly traded and the other is taking advantage of the 4 hour limit. I use both and reccomend you use both, but you may find one works better for you and if so then stick with that, don't try and force an inactive/overnight flip as it could be costly.

How do you find an item to inactive/overnight flip?

Uncommonly Traded Items

Ok I imagine this is where a lot of you are most interested. I will distinguish items between the two different methods as stated previously. Firstly: uncommonly traded items. These items typically have a "step" graph (see below) when looking at the item in the Grand Exchange on the RSOF.

Inactive/Overnight Flipping [DETAILED GUIDE] Step_g10

The reason the item has a step is because an item's mid price only updates after a certain amount of trades have been made in the grand exchange, and if an item is uncommonly traded/rare then it does not reach this quota and hence shows as a straight line with no price change which when occurs commonly appears as steps. These items tend to have large margins as buyers look for an instant buy and sellers look for an instant sell but few buy and sell orders are left in due to the length of time it takes and hence you can take advantage of this.

Depending on the item you choose, I typically buy for 5% below mid price and sell for 5% above. However, in the past I've found items that I've bought for 25% under but then sold at just under mid price, it is really something that you will have to judge for yourself. Alternatively, you could go for 10% under mid price to buy and sell at mid price (if looking for an instant sell for an overnight flip for example). But also due to the nature of these items the price may be crashing or rising unknown to you. I personally would reccomend putting in a buy order at mid price and seeing if it instant buys and if so at what price. If it doesn't instant buy, then give it a go as advised above. If it does instant buy but it is quite close to mid price (within 2%) then stick to advice. If it instant buys and is more than 2% below mid price, then I'd approach the item with caution as the item may be dropping and due to it being a step graph it would be difficult to identify just how much it is dropping.

4 hour limit items

The next type of item is taking advantage of 4 hour limits. There are a few items in the game where the 4 hour limit really doesn't do justice for many rich players in the game that are low on patience and are prepared to pay a premium to get the items instantly. To identify these items I reccomend going to RSOF -> Marketplace then going through the various sub-sections. To determine if an item meets the criteria you want, look for lots of people selling/buying an item (not including discontinued/rare items). Here is an example below:

Inactive/Overnight Flipping [DETAILED GUIDE] Frost_10
(NOTE: I by no means am saying try these, this is just an example of an item I, and others I have advised, have used in the past with great success, but it may no longer be so profitable, I have not tried them recently)

Here you can see that a lot of people are buying and selling Frost Dragon Bones when they are quite a commonly traded item in GE. This is because the 4 hour limit is 1k yet it requires quite a few thousand to reach high levels of pray, and so many rich players are happy to pay the extra premium on getting it instantly. Now that you have identified your item, check the GE price of that item and then check the average buy/sell price on RSOF. This is your margin. Buy in GE, and sell in RSOF/in game. If you are doing this overnight, you can try and increase your margins by putting in the buy orders under mid price. Also, be wary if over night flipping as these items can be very sensitive at times, and so just be aware that if you wake up and the margins have shifted you're better off just selling your stock and breaking even than waiting for a rise in demand that may never come(as with the rest of merchanting).

Feedback

Spoiler:

I hope that you have found this guide helpful and you are able to optimise your merchanting skills to earn you max amount of money. If you are still having trouble finding items you may want to check out ITIint's guide which goes more in depth into ways of finding items HERE.

I welcome all feedback for the guide and may add to it later. Should you have any points or tips that you think should be included in the guide, please post below and I will add to the guide if I agree and will +rep you for the help.

Thank you very much for reading!

Last edited by DURC on 17/5/2012, 3:24 pm; edited 14 times in total
DURC
DURC
Forum Master (1500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Inactive/Overnight Flipping [DETAILED GUIDE] Empty Re: Inactive/Overnight Flipping [DETAILED GUIDE]

Post by dragon slayer 10/7/2011, 9:51 am

love it -p have to try it sometime... im afriad to use frost bones cause they fluctate like madd

id rep ya but i cant as i have 0 rep myself

Last edited by dragon slayer on 10/7/2011, 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragon slayer
dragon slayer
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Inactive/Overnight Flipping [DETAILED GUIDE] Empty Re: Inactive/Overnight Flipping [DETAILED GUIDE]

Post by Mitch 10/7/2011, 10:17 am

Thanks. I've been looking for a detailed overnight guide!
Mitch
Mitch
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonic 10/7/2011, 10:32 am

Excellent little guide Smile
Gives me a few ideas to add to what i'm already trying, thank you Smile
Sonic
Sonic
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

https://www.youtube.com/user/SonicRSVids?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by Huso61 10/7/2011, 10:44 am

nice! +rep

Huso61
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Google 10/7/2011, 11:05 am

Well written guide with very appropriate and useful pictures, good job! Highlights key points of both flips very clearly.

+rep.
Google
Google
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

https://soundcloud.com/theruse

Back to top Go down

Post by StrobeIight 10/7/2011, 12:13 pm

A very good guide +rep.
StrobeIight
StrobeIight
Forum Addict (750 posts)
Forum Addict (750 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Norge_Ranged 10/7/2011, 2:35 pm

Thanks

Norge_Ranged
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by burntn1ps 10/7/2011, 2:51 pm

wow really detailed guide. Personally i have always been scared to make overnight flips because i don't trust the ge prices but now i might just give it a go.

+rep
burntn1ps
burntn1ps
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by jokerman 10/7/2011, 3:12 pm

THANKS =]
jokerman
jokerman
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Qevin 10/7/2011, 5:42 pm

very good guide Smile
+ rep
Qevin
Qevin
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by lukien 10/7/2011, 5:48 pm

Really nice guide + rep!

lukien
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by DURC 11/7/2011, 1:19 am

Thanks for the feedback guys, glad you're all finding it so helpful! If you do give it a go, then let me know how it goes. I'm also happy to answer any questions you may have in relation to it or if any issues arise and you need some guidance Smile
DURC
DURC

Back to top Go down

Post by Watinko 11/7/2011, 3:16 am

DURC, much love! Going to use this tonight, I think. Razz
Watinko
Watinko
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by DURC 11/7/2011, 2:48 pm

Watinko wrote:DURC, much love! Going to use this tonight, I think. Razz

Let me know how it goes! And if it doesn't go well, I will be happy to try and help you Smile

Last edited by DURC on 12/7/2011, 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
DURC
DURC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lepage Eh 11/7/2011, 6:06 pm

This has been working pretty well on the item I found with your method. Smile Great for overnight or when you're going to skill. Make sure you try this guys! And use intuition as well as calculations for buy/sell.
Lepage Eh
Lepage Eh
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by DURC 12/7/2011, 4:52 am

Lepage Eh wrote:This has been working pretty well on the item I found with your method. Smile Great for overnight or when you're going to skill. Make sure you try this guys! And use intuition as well as calculations for buy/sell.

Glad to see its going well for you bud! Hoping to see others post similar results soon Smile
DURC
DURC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hyzon 15/7/2011, 6:37 am

I'm trying this tonight as well. I'll let you know how it goes.
Hyzon
Hyzon
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by ITIint 15/7/2011, 12:10 pm

Nice, I have always wandered about why stepped graphs were stepped and I have never thought of using forums. Good Guide.

I have written an item finding guide, this way of finding items is good for finding slow/high margin items. Now you have found out how to overnight/inactive why not check out the guide in my sig, to help you find items that may work in conjunction with this guide.

I have added a link to this guide at the bottom of my guide Smile.

+rep
ITIint
ITIint
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelus 15/7/2011, 5:22 pm

sweet using this with a guide i found earlier ill let ya know tomoz how it goes
Angelus
Angelus
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by hcimS 15/7/2011, 8:28 pm

Awesome guide, and I just realised my name is in the screenshot you took of forums. :S
hcimS
hcimS
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by killview53 16/7/2011, 2:58 am

thanks for the help, as i am still kinda new to merching everything helps
killview53
killview53
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by kilikextreme 16/7/2011, 10:52 pm

I really loved the Frost Dragon Bone idea, I would have never though of doing that :p

kilikextreme
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Lepage Eh 17/7/2011, 4:39 am

I have gone from 70m-110m with this guide in three days. I am not even kidding. Mind you I found some great items, but I need to give mad respect to my man DURC! I would recommend checking the grand exchange central site for some good step graphs.
Lepage Eh
Lepage Eh
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Canaris 17/7/2011, 9:08 pm

Just made 600k with an inactive flip thanks to you. If I knew how to give rep, I def would! Thanks for the great guide! What a Face

Canaris
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next