Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Plan for Minecraft 1.8 ~ Due Sept 12th (Updated 9-11)

5 posters

Go down

The Plan for Minecraft 1.8 ~ Due Sept 12th (Updated 9-11) Empty The Plan for Minecraft 1.8 ~ Due Sept 12th (Updated 9-11)

Post by Mr_Pleco 10/9/2011, 5:33 pm

======= 9-11 Update =======

First off read the text below the update if you haven't already. Assuming you've read that then this will make sense.

I was reading over Jeb's (one of the minecraft programmer's) tweets and apparently the biome generation is not only getting changed in 1.8, but it's also getting changed in 1.9.

SO after a brief conversation with theta, we decided to put off generating a new world until the "release" version of minecraft.

However, we want to take advantage of the new features and terrain (I've been playing the prerelease of 1.8 and it's awesome) so I'm going to take advantage of the portals. I will simply teleport myself to a randomly chosen point far in the middle of nowhere, like 50,000 X, 50,000 Z and build a portal from there to the spawn point. That portal will be a pseudo spawn point for the "1.8" world although it will be on the same map as 1.7.

I'm considering moving the spawn point out there entirely so the focus of the server is changed to the new areas, but I will rely on your feedback for that.

All the building moving that I was discussing from before is put off until the final release version of the game. If you would like to establish a second house in the new 1.8 area then I will encourage you to do that and I'll be happy to build a portal from your current house to your new one.

All the plans that I've been discussing for pvp worlds and creative worlds WILL still apply and happen pre-final release of the game. They're simply too awesome to put off. =)

======= End Update =======

Hello All,

So, whichever update notch chooses to change the biome generation and add the rivers, ravines, strongholds and abandoned shafts, I will be making a fresh 1.8 world. I'm assuming that update will be in 1.8 for now.

However, because I know everybody has put loads of work (myself included) into their current projects, I will be doing three things to make the transition as seamless as possible.

1) When bukkit 1.8 is first released I will make a portal near the spawn point connecting the 1.7 world and the 1.8 world. Everybody will be need to help explore a 1k radius from the spawn so we can get places to move to.
- The world will be set to perma daylight
- Nobody will have build access (reasons explained in a sec)
- Everybody will have infinite health (maybe)
- Everybody will be invisible to monsters

You won't have build access because I don't want people claim jumping anybody else's area or strip mining the spawn point. It will also cause problems if you build stuff in the area where you want me to move your house because it will be deleted when I paste in the new info.

2) When the world is explored far enough out and people have picked out their new home locations, I will ask everybody to choose a chunk of world from the 1.7 world for me to move to the 1.8 world as their new home. I will close down both worlds, and download both worlds to my computer to move everybody's houses.
- You will get a rectangular area of arbitrary size to move, I can't chase tunnels but I can get the bulk of stuff moved
- I have to move the houses manually so be reasonable with what you want moved
- I will also move and place server buildings (spawn house, mushroom farm, etc) during this time
- I don't think chests will be able to be copied, so you'll want to move your chests to a safe location on 1.7
- Due to time constraints I can only move ONE block per person, sorry if you have multiple houses =/

3) I will upload BOTH worlds back to the server. Your houses will be cut/paste so there won't be doubling of resources. I will keep the portal up and set up private portals between people's houses so they can move their items like chests and rail tracks at their leisure.
- You will get build access on 1.8 once I move your house
- You get ONE portal connecting your 1.7 area to your 1.8 area
- I will make glass blocks drop glass when broken (for a week or two) so you will get your placed glass back if you want it
- 1.7 will be online indefinitely since it doesn't occupy significantly higher server resources so you'll have a lot of time to move your stuff to 1.8 and get set up there as painlessly as possible

If you have questions or need clarification about the plan then post on here and I'll answer them.

Last edited by [ADMIN] Dr Kort on 11/9/2011, 7:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mr_Pleco
Mr_Pleco
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

The Plan for Minecraft 1.8 ~ Due Sept 12th (Updated 9-11) Empty Re: The Plan for Minecraft 1.8 ~ Due Sept 12th (Updated 9-11)

Post by xavy01 10/9/2011, 6:32 pm

Yesss Nice work Mr Pleco! I wouldn't actually mind a fresh start, so don't worry about copying any of my stuff across (It wasn't particularly great or even finished anyways). Looking forward to this so much Very Happy
xavy01
xavy01
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

The Plan for Minecraft 1.8 ~ Due Sept 12th (Updated 9-11) Empty Re: The Plan for Minecraft 1.8 ~ Due Sept 12th (Updated 9-11)

Post by whuts_combet 10/9/2011, 6:34 pm

Wow, this seems like alot of work so good luck and thank you.
whuts_combet
whuts_combet
Forum Master (1500 posts)
Forum Master (1500 posts)

http://www.dj3scape.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr_Pleco 11/9/2011, 7:57 pm

Updated today concerning information I just learned about biome generation changes.
Mr_Pleco
Mr_Pleco
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnieQuest 11/9/2011, 8:17 pm

Pleco..where do you think we should put our chests...it's the only thing that I'm really worrying about Surprised
JohnieQuest
JohnieQuest
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr_Pleco 11/9/2011, 8:20 pm

JohnieQuest wrote:Pleco..where do you think we should put our chests...it's the only thing that I'm really worrying about Surprised

I would find a place that's well hidden (but not so much you'll lose your chests) but not in your main "house" and store your items there. Mark them as your chests and nobody will steal them. (if they do it's trackable and replaceable)

As long as it's outside a big rectangular solid area that will contain your house that you'll want moved then they'll be fine.
Mr_Pleco
Mr_Pleco
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Lightning 11/9/2011, 10:09 pm

I guess I'll start up when 1.8 comes out. No point to building a house just to give you more work to move it. Send me a PM when the server is up and running 1.8 if you see this. If not I'll just check back every day or so Smile
Lightning
Lightning
Forum Addict (750 posts)
Forum Addict (750 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr_Pleco 11/9/2011, 10:14 pm

Lightning wrote:I guess I'll start up when 1.8 comes out. No point to building a house just to give you more work to move it. Send me a PM when the server is up and running 1.8 if you see this. If not I'll just check back every day or so Smile

That's the point of the post, it will be some months yet (after it moves out of beta) that I'm moving houses to the new map. =)
Mr_Pleco
Mr_Pleco
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down