Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prevent getting hacked, and what to do if you GOT hacked.

+40
saikat2000
Lief952
zeruzo
mickz
Flo
sam5
D ay
TheVoice200
simpsons502
[Bas]
x-pehh
mat
imma fire
/b/tard
Dioxide
4 Ssoulle
Ur A RC lvl
r4nq3ftwpur3
l3reakd0wn
Zelda Twinzz
stazio
x solider pk
Lamorak X
Runecr fting
harvey
ppp
slammer592
claudios44
Snave
Bartjuh
hardcskater
elyk913
ANDI
Real Angel
Extravagance
joshpk
P l o o w
SM_Kris
Replay
Cryptical
44 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Prevent getting hacked, and what to do if you GOT hacked. Empty Prevent getting hacked, and what to do if you GOT hacked.

Post by Cryptical 31/5/2010, 3:47 am

Prevent getting hacked, and what to do if you GOT hacked. Smstamp3

A Guide to...Prevent getting hacked, What to do IF you get hacked, and how to Minimalize the LOSS when you get hacked.

Due to many recent hacked accounts in the clan(Won't be giving names), I decided to make a guide on how to prevent this crime. Also I will be giving tips on how to minimalize the loss IF you get hacked, and what to do after you notice your password has been changed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off, there are many ways people use to get private information from you.
Hackers can use keyloggers(programs put in your computer which register everything you write down on your keyboard, and send the information to the hacker), recovering your account by using the recovery questions on the official runescape website, and many other ways.

We've got told that hackers recently also somehow manage to steal your password just by getting an reply on an email sent with Hotmail. We're not sure how they do it, but if you get any suspicious email on hotmail, do NOT reply to it.

How to prevent getting hacked:

Password:

Do not make an easy password. I know that sounds obvious, but you would be suprised when you hear how many people actually do get hacked because a hacker just guessed their password.
Easy passwords include passwords like 'runescape1' and 'password1'.

To make sure nobody is able to guess your password, you can make a password based on something you experienced(For example a birthday party from your mother. Nobody will think about that when trying to guess your password), or a name from an author of a book you like. Also use SEVERAL numbers in your password, not just '1' or '2', etc.

An example of a good password is : 1DeDijkBloedendHart5
a number at the beginning of the password, a band + a song of the band, then a number at the end of the password. That password is probably isn't valid due to it is probably to long, but you get the idea.

Keyloggers:

Keyloggers can be hidden in anything that is download-able. For example they can be hidden in songs you downloaded using a program like Limewire, 3rd party software for Runescape (macroing programs and such),
a song you download through a MSN conversation, downloading a movie, etc.
Remember that you DON'T download ANYTING suspicious. When downloading a file through a MSN conversation, the other person can make the file look like a song by giving the file a picture from something that looks like it is related to the song, while the file actually is a keylogger.
Also macroing programs should be avoided.

Remember that if something looks to good to be true, it probably is. Even if the macroing program doesn't contain a keylogger, you still have an high chance of getting your account banned, so you are basically throwing your account away when you download such a program.

Also, keyloggers can also steal MUCH more valuable information than just your runescape account.

ONLY DOWNLOAD PROGRAMS POSTED ON THESE FORUMS THAT ARE POSTED BY A MEMBER WHO IS A RANK OR AN HIGHER STATUS.

Hotmail:

Well, at this point it is a bit unclear how the hackers steal your password with this method.
What we do know is that it involves emailing you, and when you reply on the email, they somehow manage to use your hotmail for stealing your runescape password.

A possibility is that they gain acces to your hotmail account when you reply to them, and from there somehow get your runescape password. Like I already said, we don't know yet how they manage to do this through Hotmail. But we had reports that some hackers use Hotmail, and by replying to a suspiscious email you basically give your password away.

hotmail = leaving your door unlocked
- Lordben

hotmail is like sex without a condom
- Ritz

Theorum by Joshpk :
What they do for the hotmail one is:

They get you to email them and then when you have done that they can view the source of the email and get all your personal information to recover your email at this recouvery link at hotmail (not gonna post it so don't even ask)

and with this they can recover your email and if you have your rs account linked to it they can use it to recover it

Another way they can do it is by either Social engineering it out of you (make you tell em it with out you really noticing) or just guessing it (if its really easy) and then they can use it to reset your password

Tormented:

I'll add to that. They can also get your IP from an email, so don't send an email to suspicious people if you're afraid of getting Ddosed.

Ploow:

[center]
Eivish I asked a friend of mine about it who knows a lot about this,
and apparently you can know someones ip adres just out of a mail,

so for a good hacker its probably easy to hack you after that.

Recovery Questions:

Recovery questions are used for recovering your account when it is hacked.
However, ironically enough, somepeople use them to HACK accounts.
If you haven't yet set your Recovery questions, I URGE you to do it now, because without them you basically have VERY little chance on recovering your account when it does get hacked.

To set your recovery questions,

1. Go to Runescape main page.
2. Click on 'Set Recovery Questions' in the Security section.
3. Log in.
4. Give answers on the questions you can choose from.

To make sure NOBODY except you guesses your answers, put a character in your answers.
For example on the question 'Where was your first vacation' you can answer with 'In France#'
No hacker would be thinking about putting a '#" in the answer.

Telling your password to someone:

Do NOT ever tell your password to ANYONE. I know, we all have friends who we can trust,
but giving the password to someone will only stress you out(for example when you have a fight with that friend, you might want to be afraid that he does something with your account).

Email transaction code (Credits to Klippii):

One good thing to have just in case your has been hacked and your password has been changed is the emailed receipt conformation from your monthly subscription. OR If you kept the email that was sent to you when you first made your member's account.

Jagex wants the TRANSACTION ID number.

Now, since this is an email....this is how a hacker can gain access to your account if they get into your Hotmail account. It is a fast and easy recovery.

Using different passwords for websites:

It is also strongly recommended to NOT use your runescape or hotmail password on another website, not even those which you trust.

Phishing:

1. Planning. Phishers decide which business to target and determine how to get e-mail addresses for the customers of that business. They often use the same mass-mailing and address collection techniques as spammers.
2. Setup. Once they know which business to spoof and who their victims are, phishers create methods for delivering the message and collecting the data. Most often, this involves e-mail addresses and a Web page.
3. Attack. This is the step people are most familiar with -- the phisher sends a phony message that appears to be from a reputable source.
4. Collection. Phishers record the information victims enter into Web pages or popup windows.
Identity Theft and Fraud. The phishers use the information they've gathered to make illegal purchases or otherwise commit fraud. As many as a fourth of the victims never fully recover.

How to protect you from Phishing:

The steps you normally take to protect your computer, like using a firewall and anti-virus software, can help protect you from phishing. You can review Web sites' SSL certificates and your own bankand credit card statements for an extra measure of safety.

Source: www.computer.howstuffworks.com/phishing3.htm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What to do if you GOT hacked:

Imagine, you try to login when you wake up, and you notice your password has been changed.
Do not panic, stay calm! There is a fairly high chance on recovering your password!
I will explain from step to step what you have to do:

1. Think of how the hacker might have hacked you.

-''Did I download anything risky lately?''
-''Did I have good recovery answers?''
-''Was my password easy to guess?''
-''Did I reply to any suspicious email?''
-''Did I tell someone my password?''
-''Did I let anyone on my computer lately?''

2. If you downloaded anything suspicious lately, SCAN your computer with a security program.
For example you can use the FREE software 'Malwarebytes'.
It is excellent for downloading that sort of stuff.
(Credits go to Nsf Itachi for telling me about that program).

If you found a virus, keylogger, or anything of that sort of stuff, throw it away/delete it with the program!

After that, go to:

-Runescape main page
-Account
-Recover Password (in the account security section)
-Recover password
-Fill in the questions. You'll have to fill in questions about earlier passwords you had(write down all the passwords you can remember), the internet provider you used when you made the account, the recovery questions, etc.

Click submit and wait. You can look up the status on your appeal by going to the account management, and click on 'Track Recovery' in the account security section.

3. If your appeal has been DENIED.

This can have two reasons.

1: You didn't prove enough that you are the owner of the account.
2: The hacker changed your Recovery questions & Answers.

If you think you didn't put enough prove in your appeal, you can do an appeal again.
If you do think all your answers were right, and thus you think that the hacker changed your recovery questions & Answers, you can cancel the new set questions&answers the hacker made.

-Go to Account management.
-Click on 'Cancel Recovery Questions'.

Note: This HAS to been done within 14 days of the the change of the questions and answers. After that, the questions aren't pending anymore, but set.

When you did that, try to recover your account again, this time without filling in the Recovering Questions.

What you can do to minimalize the LOSS when you get hacked:

This will be kept short, but maybe one of the BEST features in Runescape:

The pin system. USE it.

When having a pin on your bank and grand exchange, nobody can reach your bank and grand exchange except YOU. So everytime you want to log out, first put all your valuable items you're wearing or having in your inventory and put them on the bank. Then you can safely logout and won't have to be afraid that you lose stuff when you get hacked.

Well, that's basically the guide. Some things might look obvious, but you would be very suprised if you knew how many people got hacked because they didn't had a good password, recovery questions, downloaded bots and such, etc.
I realize it is a wall of text, but I didn't think pictures would make the guide look nicer.

Do not make the amount of hacked accounts in SM go higher!

Last edited by Eivish on 3/6/2010, 9:06 pm; edited 14 times in total
Cryptical
Cryptical
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Prevent getting hacked, and what to do if you GOT hacked. Empty Re: Prevent getting hacked, and what to do if you GOT hacked.

Post by Replay 31/5/2010, 4:00 am

Yee, nice guide.
TBH 95% of people who get hacked have only themselves to blame.
Because you can't get a key logger if you don't visit any infected site and don't click any unusual links. Or you give your password to a friend or someone.
4% are hacked people their passwords are too easy and cracked by hackers.
1% make their passwords too easy and the hackers just sit their guessing all day until they get it.

Replay
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Prevent getting hacked, and what to do if you GOT hacked. Empty Re: Prevent getting hacked, and what to do if you GOT hacked.

Post by SM_Kris 31/5/2010, 4:14 am

I've had to recover one of my kid's accounts a few years back.

One good thing to have just in case your has been hacked and your password has been changed is the emailed receipt conformation from your monthly subscription. OR If you kept the email that was sent to you when you first made your member's account.

Now, since this is an email....this is how a hacker can gain access to your account if they get into your Hotmail account. It is a fast and easy recovery.

Good guide and reminder to people that are getting too comfortable playing this game.

+rep
SM_Kris
SM_Kris
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by P l o o w 31/5/2010, 5:49 am

+ rep. Nicely done Smile

Hope this will help those who need it.
P l o o w
P l o o w
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by joshpk 31/5/2010, 6:21 am

What they do for the hotmail one is:

They get you to email them and then when you have done that they can view the source of the email and get all your personal information to recover your email at this recouvery link at hotmail (not gonna post it so don't even ask)

and with this they can recover your email and if you have your rs account linked to it they can use it to recover it

Another way they can do it is by either Social engineering it out of you (make you tell em it with out you really noticing) or just guessing it (if its really easy) and then they can use it to reset your password.

joshpk
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Extravagance 31/5/2010, 9:48 am

+rep for you.
Extravagance
Extravagance
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptical 31/5/2010, 10:08 am

Thank you for the replies people! <3
Cryptical
Cryptical
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Extravagance 31/5/2010, 10:43 am

joshpk wrote:What they do for the hotmail one is:

Another way they can do it is by either Social engineering it out of you (make you tell em it with out you really noticing) or just guessing it (if its really easy) and then they can use it to reset your password.

I'll add to that. They can also get your IP from an email, so don't send an email to suspicious people if you're afraid of getting Ddosed.
Extravagance
Extravagance
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptical 31/5/2010, 10:55 am

Added all of that in the guide =]
Cryptical
Cryptical
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Real Angel 31/5/2010, 2:31 pm

LONG GUIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But very informative, and i shall plus rep this guide for your time and effort put into this.

+rep

Real Angel
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by P l o o w 31/5/2010, 2:37 pm

P l o o w
P l o o w

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptical 31/5/2010, 2:39 pm

Hmm..I will add it to the guide. =] You might want to tell Mr J about what your friend told you, might be useful as alot of people seem to be hacked because of Hotmail.
Cryptical
Cryptical
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Extravagance 31/5/2010, 3:32 pm

P l o o w wrote:

Yeah. I know how to do it. :3
Extravagance
Extravagance
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptical 31/5/2010, 7:37 pm

You might want to tell Mr J about what you know =] It could help to prevent people from getting hacked =]
Cryptical
Cryptical
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Extravagance 31/5/2010, 8:48 pm

Eivish wrote:You might want to tell Mr J about what you know =] It could help to prevent people from getting hacked =]

He probably already knows about it. I guess it would be worth telling him though.
Extravagance
Extravagance
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptical 31/5/2010, 10:27 pm

Added a 'Phishing' Section.
Cryptical
Cryptical
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by SM_Kris 31/5/2010, 11:53 pm

Eivish wrote:Added a 'Phishing' Section.

All this lovely input from other members Eivish...and no +reps from you for their input.

I see some pretty good comments and ideas you are now using in your guide. At least you could +rep their post as well as, like your doing, giving credit in your guide.

Good info by the way. (From you and others)
SM_Kris
SM_Kris
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by ANDI 31/5/2010, 11:56 pm

klippiii wrote:I've had to recover one of my kid's accounts a few years back.

Good guide and reminder to people that are getting too comfortable playing this game.

+rep

acctually , since my dad pays for my mems , that stuff is sent to him, but my email is registered Wink
ANDI
ANDI
Forum Master (1500 posts)
Forum Master (1500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Extravagance 1/6/2010, 1:48 am

MR AND1 wrote:

+rep

acctually , since my dad pays for my mems , that stuff is sent to him, but my email is registered Wink

You can use Account Management and get that stuff switched over to your hotmail account (I think.) If not it's done when you subscribe to membership.
Extravagance
Extravagance
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by elyk913 1/6/2010, 1:54 am

Tormented wrote:
MR AND1 wrote:

+rep

You can use Account Management and get that stuff switched over to your hotmail account (I think.) If not it's done when you subscribe to membership.

But I thought hotmail accounts were what was hacking people in the first place....?

elyk913
Forum Addict (750 posts)
Forum Addict (750 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Extravagance 1/6/2010, 2:00 am

elyk913 wrote:
Tormented wrote:
MR AND1 wrote:

+rep

But I thought hotmail accounts were what was hacking people in the first place....?

It was. He never said what type of email service he used though, and I just saying that in case he wanted the transaction IDs and st00f sent to him instead of his dad.
Extravagance
Extravagance
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by elyk913 1/6/2010, 2:04 am

Tormented wrote:
elyk913 wrote:
Tormented wrote:
MR AND1 wrote:

+rep

It was. He never said what type of email service he used though, and I just saying that in case he wanted the transaction IDs and st00f sent to him instead of his dad.

but can't he just send it using another e-mail provider? instead of the one that possibly hacked him in the first place?

elyk913
Forum Addict (750 posts)
Forum Addict (750 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptical 1/6/2010, 9:22 am

klippiii wrote:
Eivish wrote:Added a 'Phishing' Section.

All this lovely input from other members Eivish...and no +reps from you for their input.

I see some pretty good comments and ideas you are now using in your guide. At least you could +rep their post as well as, like your doing, giving credit in your guide.

Good info by the way. (From you and others)

Actually, at that time, I couldn't give any more rep anymore because I already gave to much rep. Then I went off to bed Wink I will certainly do now =] Thanks for reminding =]
Cryptical
Cryptical
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by hardcskater 2/6/2010, 6:51 pm

Maybe you should follow the Guide that made me LOL Irl, saying that you can recover someones account with simply an IP address, If that was the case, the board admin could take Thousands and Thousands of passowrds lol. That makes me mad that people would tell people that.

hardcskater
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptical 2/6/2010, 7:19 pm

Not sure where you're coming from. Which guide? I don't think I've ever said that you can recover an account with just an IP adress?

Please clarify.
Cryptical
Cryptical
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum