Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help choosing a laptop

4 posters

Go down

Need help choosing a laptop Empty Need help choosing a laptop

Post by Tuff Tiga 18/5/2014, 11:43 pm

Hey all!

Just need some help to pick a laptop. The laptop is going to be primarily used for classes (and to program on). Not willing to spend more than $550 CAD (before taxes). The two I currently have in mind are:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834257166

AND

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_369&item_id=068971

Both are pretty decent and I'm only willing to purchase from Asus or HP. If you have any others in mind, or want to suggest which to buy (from the two) post below.

Thanks!
Tuff Tiga
Tuff Tiga
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Need help choosing a laptop Empty Re: Need help choosing a laptop

Post by GiovanniM 19/5/2014, 12:23 pm

Tuff Tiga wrote:Hey all!

Just need some help to pick a laptop. The laptop is going to be primarily used for classes (and to program on). Not willing to spend more than $550 CAD (before taxes). The two I currently have in mind are:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834257166

AND

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_369&item_id=068971

Both are pretty decent and I'm only willing to purchase from Asus or HP. If you have any others in mind, or want to suggest which to buy (from the two) post below.

Thanks!

Hard decision because the AMD quad core has a bad performance but has 2 more cores then the i3,
Also the second one has 2gb more ram but I don't think you will use 6gb to program,
I'd go for the first one because 4gb ram is enough and so are 2 cores.

besides the AMD cpu has only 2MB l3 cache and the i3 3MB,
trust me it makes a huge performance difference.

I personally use an AMD laptop, 1.7ghz/2 cores + 4gb ram, And this is a really slow laptop and I can't program that well,
The only reason i bought this €400 laptop is because I was really fukin high lol.

GiovanniM
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by pokeguyx 24/5/2014, 11:10 am

Yeah the i3 is probably your best bet if it's for programming, I'd only really go with AMD if your looking to game, intel processors are normally better with almost everything else as far as I've seen. I guess it depends on what kind of programming you'll be doing though, you might want the 6gb ram depending on what kind of programs you are writing :)The power consumption of the amd is just a tiny bit higher than the intel yet the intel has better performance per core, but then there's the consideration of the amd processors 2 extra cores so yeaaaaah I'd probably say intel but they should both be fine for programming Surprised
pokeguyx
pokeguyx
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by GiovanniM 24/5/2014, 11:43 am

pokeguyx wrote:Yeah the i3 is probably your best bet if it's for programming, I'd only really go with AMD if your looking to game, intel processors are normally better with almost everything else as far as I've seen. I guess it depends on what kind of programming you'll be doing though, you might want the 6gb ram depending on what kind of programs you are writing :)The power consumption of the amd is just a tiny bit higher than the intel yet the intel has better performance per core, but then there's the consideration of the amd processors 2 extra cores so yeaaaaah I'd probably say intel but they should both be fine for programming Surprised

Yeah that's true, But I really wouldn't go for the AMD.
I have experience using an AMD laptop, In fact I'm on one right now.
The problem I got with it is:
1. It gets very hot and it's only a 1.7ghz dual core.
2. Allot of the components cannot be removed, Like they are soldered against the mobo.
3. The first day I got the laptop I burned my leg (not kidding.)

So the I3 is really the way to go IMO.

GiovanniM
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by pokeguyx 24/5/2014, 1:10 pm

GiovanniMoonen wrote:
pokeguyx wrote:Yeah the i3 is probably your best bet if it's for programming, I'd only really go with AMD if your looking to game, intel processors are normally better with almost everything else as far as I've seen. I guess it depends on what kind of programming you'll be doing though, you might want the 6gb ram depending on what kind of programs you are writing :)The power consumption of the amd is just a tiny bit higher than the intel yet the intel has better performance per core, but then there's the consideration of the amd processors 2 extra cores so yeaaaaah I'd probably say intel but they should both be fine for programming Surprised

Yeah that's true, But I really wouldn't go for the AMD.
I have experience using an AMD laptop, In fact I'm on one right now.
The problem I got with it is:
1. It gets very hot and it's only a 1.7ghz dual core.
2. Allot of the components cannot be removed, Like they are soldered against the mobo.
3. The first day I got the laptop I burned my leg (not kidding.)

So the I3 is really the way to go IMO.

I think we have an answer for which is the best option then Wink

I'm using an intel laptop (i7 with 8gb ram), it runs amazingly and will only get hot if I play games which is kind of expected anyways, so yeah go intel
pokeguyx
pokeguyx
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Daxaal 25/5/2014, 12:23 am

I would go with the i3 laptop, generally speaking AMD generates more heat and uses more power. Intel generally have low heat processors and use less power. I would go with AMD if it were for a gaming pc as you can save money on AMD otherwise go with intel for laptops Smile.
Daxaal
Daxaal
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down