Paying too much for Internet?

Go down

Paying too much for Internet?

Post by KMV on 27/10/2014, 12:24 am

Apparently, to me this video seems way off but, when I talk to other people who don't live in California what this guy is saying about the rest of the nation is extremely accurate. For anyone who doesn't live in Southern California and anyone not living in the US how much does internet cost in your country, what do you get out of it, and who provides it?

If you aren't sure what you get out of it go to 
http://www.speedtest.net

I have Verizon Fios, I get 290 unique channels + Premium channels(Showtime, HBO, Cinamax etc. etc.), International Calling, and 50 mbps for $80 a month.

KMV
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Re: Paying too much for Internet?

Post by Julij2 on 27/10/2014, 7:54 am

You thinks that's bad? I get 2mbps for 34$ and that's only for the internet with no other additions. Not to mention that there's a lot of problems with it as it sometimes doesn't work. The company that provides us with internet owns the cord but the cord is so bad that the others just aren't interested in paying to access it. I live in Slovenia.
Julij2
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Princess Toon on 27/10/2014, 2:51 pm

I pay 17,50 EUR for 100mbps (though in reality it's ±20mbps but that's mainly due to the fact that I live in the geographical western equivalent of a desert - basically a very small town), and that's just internet. That is considered pretty average in the Netherlands though. Most people here have bundles ranging from 40 to 60 euro's which get you unlimited calling to other house numbers (extra for international and cellphone calls), basic television with not too many additional channels (usually no HBO for example) and internet up to 100mbps, though here those speeds are usually fairly accurate.
Princess Toon
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by piramatrix on 27/10/2014, 3:35 pm

i pay about 40 euros/month for 160mbps and unlimited downloading. i could upgrade it to a package with landline telephone (unlimited free calls to other landlines, and 2000 min free calls to mobile phones in belgium, usa, canada and europe) and digital tv ( +/-350 basic channels from all over europe) for 20 euro extra each month. but i think thats a wast eof the 20 euro's since i almost never call ( i only text or get called) and i never watch tv ( i stream everything on the internet)

Last edited by piramatrix on 27/10/2014, 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

piramatrix
Forum Master (1500 posts)
Forum Master (1500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Yamiteh on 27/10/2014, 4:29 pm

Julij2 wrote:You thinks that's bad? I get 2mbps for 34$ and that's only for the internet with no other additions. Not to mention that there's a lot of problems with it as it sometimes doesn't work. The company that provides us with internet owns the cord but the cord is so bad that the others just aren't interested in paying to access it. I live in Slovenia.

As someone who lives in the same country I pay 64 eur for 50/50 internet and 140+ chans(along with some "special chans" like hbo)

Also in our country if you are lucky enough to live in a biggish city where optical internet is available i think i saw somewhere the prices being as low as 22 eur/month for 100/100 internet + tv
Yamiteh
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

http://www.smokinelite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Rockeye on 27/10/2014, 4:56 pm

Hungary will soon be paying about 0.6$ a GB internet Surprised that's what I call paying to much for internet (as a frequent PB user).
Mr Rockeye
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by KMV on 27/10/2014, 6:56 pm

Julij2 wrote:You thinks that's bad? I get 2mbps for 34$ and that's only for the internet with no other additions. Not to mention that there's a lot of problems with it as it sometimes doesn't work. The company that provides us with internet owns the cord but the cord is so bad that the others just aren't interested in paying to access it. I live in Slovenia.
I never thought what I was paying as all that expensive, I just never realized how much more other people in the US pay then I do for inferior services. However, shit man that must really suck to have multiple people using the internet on that.

Yamiteh wrote:

As someone who lives in the same country I pay 64 eur for 50/50 internet and 140+ chans(along with some "special chans" like hbo)

Also in our country if you are lucky enough to live in a biggish city where optical internet is available i think i saw somewhere the prices being as low as 22 eur/month for 100/100 internet + tv

So in a sense Slovania is like the US in terms of variation but, wow 22 Euros/month for such a deal. For me to get that I would have to give up international calling or pay an extra $20 dollars a month. 

Mr Rockeye wrote:Hungary will soon be paying about 0.6$ a GB internet Surprised that's what I call paying to much for internet (as a frequent PB user).

This is the heart breaker for those of you who play league to play it on default settings that comes out to $.18~ a game and if you like to watch streams that comes out to about $.53 an hour. When that starts happening I suggest you play everything on the lowest settings possible. If you have your computer a lot on like I do, watch/stream a lot of movies and shows thank god you have unlimited because that internet bill would cost me about $8000/month as I have kept track of my data usage once and it is well over 10k GB a month.

KMV
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Daxaal on 28/10/2014, 10:01 am

$70 a month

2 year Contract minimum
Unlimited ADSL2+ (internet)
Home phone line included
Unlimited local calls
100 minutes of international calls
Speed is about 5mbs/s

After reading how much internet some of you guys get for the price you pay I feel jelly Razz. Can stream 720p videos but 1080p starts to cause lag for me. This is for Australia in Australian dollars which I think is about 60 USD.

Those tv channel deals you guys get are sold to us by a different company, Foxtel which charges I think about $40 a month for heaps of tv channels. Otherwise freeview is pretty good for us Australians. I just use freeview as it has a few good entertainment channels Smile
Daxaal
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Yamiteh on 28/10/2014, 4:42 pm

KMV wrote:
Spoiler:
I never thought what I was paying as all that expensive, I just never realized how much more other people in the US pay then I do for inferior services. However, shit man that must really suck to have multiple people using the internet on that.

Yamiteh wrote:

So in a sense Slovania is like the US in terms of variation but, wow 22 Euros/month for such a deal. For me to get that I would have to give up international calling or pay an extra $20 dollars a month. 

Mr Rockeye wrote:Hungary will soon be paying about 0.6$ a GB internet Surprised that's what I call paying to much for internet (as a frequent PB user).

This is the heart breaker for those of you who play league to play it on default settings that comes out to $.18~ a game and if you like to watch streams that comes out to about $.53 an hour. When that starts happening I suggest you play everything on the lowest settings possible. If you have your computer a lot on like I do, watch/stream a lot of movies and shows thank god you have unlimited because that internet bill would cost me about $8000/month as I have kept track of my data usage once and it is well over 10k GB a month.

Don't forget tho to take into account that US salaries are way higher than here in Slovenia.
Yamiteh
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

http://www.smokinelite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KMV on 28/10/2014, 5:20 pm

Yamiteh wrote:
KMV wrote:
Spoiler:

Yamiteh wrote:

Don't forget tho to take into account that US salaries are way higher than here in Slovenia.

That is true which also means if you went off cost of living paying that is really expensive for where you live.

KMV
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Princess Toon on 28/10/2014, 11:11 pm

Yamiteh wrote:
KMV wrote:
Spoiler:

Yamiteh wrote:

I actually wonder how much I use in an average month... any way to check?Very Happy You can't check with the provider as they don't keep track of it. Everything here is unlimited anyway
Princess Toon
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by KMV on 29/10/2014, 1:56 am

Princess Toon wrote:
Yamiteh wrote:
KMV wrote:
Spoiler:

Yamiteh wrote:

I actually wonder how much I use in an average month... any way to check?Very Happy You can't check with the provider as they don't keep track of it. Everything here is unlimited anyway

Some routers have this thing installed but, I used a thing called Netmeter that I found on cnet. There are some routers that can keep track of this for you as well but, since unlimited internet access is the standard now a days in 1st world countries its really hard to find one with such an option built into it without paying 100s of dollars for it. Checking is merely to feed your curiousity and it costing me 1000s of dollars is merely because I have a bad habit of leaving my computer on.

KMV
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dual_Shock on 29/10/2014, 5:37 am

Comcast Triple Play (Wifi/Telephone/Cable) $99/month for the first year, idk after that. Parents pay for it. Razz

also, I'm over wifi if anyone's wondering.
Dual_Shock
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Daxaal on 29/10/2014, 8:35 am

Dual_Shock wrote:

Comcast Triple Play (Wifi/Telephone/Cable) $99/month for the first year, idk after that. Parents pay for it. Razz

what do you mean?
Daxaal
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dual_Shock on 29/10/2014, 8:43 am

Daxaal wrote:
Dual_Shock wrote:

what do you mean?

What do you mean, what do I mean? Comcast (a cable/internet provider here in the states), offers Internet/Telephone Service/Cable for $99 a month. It provides me with 115MBPS. I could have chose other plans, but this is the cheapest where I live. Which is why, if you look in the video, the guy talks about monopolies - Comcast services all 3 major technology in my house. We used to pay for it to be separate for our phone line (verizon landline), but it was cheaper to bundle all 3 together with the same provider than it was a la carte. I mentioned that I was on Wifi because you generally have less Download / upload via wifi than you do Ethernet, so I'd assume I probably have like a 150 Mbps plan.

Also, since my phone has internet on it. I have Verizon Wireless, Unlimited Talk/Text, 6GB Data + Hotspots, etc, for $40/month + tax, as a rough estimate for some.
Dual_Shock

Back to top Go down

Post by Leakee on 29/10/2014, 6:03 pm

~£15/m but with Hundreds of channels + landline
Leakee
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

https://www.youtube.com/user/MuziHD

Back to top Go down

Post by KMV on 29/10/2014, 6:21 pm

Dual_Shock wrote:
Daxaal wrote:
Dual_Shock wrote:

what do you mean?

What do you mean, what do I mean? Comcast (a cable/internet provider here in the states), offers Internet/Telephone Service/Cable for $99 a month. It provides me with 115MBPS. I could have chose other plans, but this is the cheapest where I live. Which is why, if you look in the video, the guy talks about monopolies - Comcast services all 3 major technology in my house. We used to pay for it to be separate for our phone line (verizon landline), but it was cheaper to bundle all 3 together with the same provider than it was a la carte. I mentioned that I was on Wifi because you generally have less Download / upload via wifi than you do Ethernet, so I'd assume I probably have like a 150 Mbps plan.

Also, since my phone has internet on it. I have Verizon Wireless, Unlimited Talk/Text, 6GB Data + Hotspots, etc, for $40/month + tax, as a rough estimate for some.

In my area I get the option of Verizon Fios or Time Warner Cable and that is true for the majority of Southern California. Talk about choosing between the lesser of 2 evils. Verizon Fios is 100% better and cheaper in every way shape and form to time warner.

KMV
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Leonoras on 1/11/2014, 8:41 pm

$25 for a 25mbps internet. No phone or TV.

Leonoras
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum