Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beginner Merchanting Questions

3 posters

Go down

Beginner Merchanting Questions Empty Beginner Merchanting Questions

Post by Shaftymcduck 20/7/2015, 6:15 pm

Alright so I took up merchanting very recently. So far I believe I've been doing alright however I have a few general concerns.

Active flipping:
According to the clans standards it should be about a 45 minute process. However it takes me about that long just to buy most of the things I've been flipping. Are my margins too wide or is it just poor item selection on my part?

Inactive flipping: I've been doing this with Drygore mace which just went through a downswing and then began bouncing. I don't have horribly much money in comparison to the cost of the item, but my returns are excellent. My question on this is would it be worth price checking these or should I continue my current strategy of probing the market and waiting 45-60 minutes before upping my price?

Investing:
My current strategy for investing is taking a small amount of my startup capital and most of my flipping profits and investing that into dragon bones (which unless I'm mistaken are at a fairly good price to buy right now). Should I diversify my investment portfolio a bit, or just keep investing in dragon bones?

Thanks for your time.

Shaftymcduck
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Beginner Merchanting Questions Empty Re: Beginner Merchanting Questions

Post by Daxaal 22/7/2015, 11:22 am

Active flipping can be anything up to 2 hours in my opinion, as you are usually in game doing something while an active flip is going on and therefore can "actively" respond to changes in market price. So if an item is taking 45 minutes to buy it should be ok Smile. However if you feel like the item is taking too long to buy or sell then it could be your margins are too wide or the item in general isn't traded frequently on the GE.

When I used to play RS I found the commonly used items such as logs, bones, fish good to actively flip because of their low margins, high buying limit and because they were frequently traded on the GE. I haven't played RS in about a year so what I'm saying may be out of date, I hope one of the other merchants can correct me if I'm wrong Smile
Daxaal
Daxaal
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Blood 22/7/2015, 12:22 pm

As Daxaal said: active items are generally considered those of high volume (runes, ores, logs, etc etc). This is not to say that items that do not fall under that general "supplies" category cannot be actively flipped or even that those within the "supplies" category will always be active/quick. The type of merchanting one does isn't necessarily important as to each their own. What matters is whether or not you are efficiently utilizing your available merchanting wealth (when online are you trying to active/inactive flip, when at school/work/asleep are you inactively buying/selling items, etc etc). Keep in mind that those parameters for active/inactive/investing were set years ago. It is no secret that merchanting has changed in that time.

Regarding the Drygore Maces - I've been doing the same thing with the same item and as you said yourself, it's working wonders so why change what's bringing home the bacon so to speak? Wink

If you feel that Dragon Bones are a safe and/or worthwhile investment, then I should see no reason not to stick with that other than the common adage of not putting all of your eggs into one basket. Now to stick solely to Dragon Bones in an infinite sense would be a mistake, yes. I would personally recommend to diversify your portfolio as it shows you don't necessarily stick to your comfort zone. You're willing to try new items, explore possibilities, and accept the risks that come with. As a merchant, knowing and accepting that you will lose money from time to time is key as I have seen a time or two a merchant who found themselves with a loss and they just spiraled from there.
Blood
Blood
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down