Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smokin Mils Calendar

+5
Blood
JIGL0JAY
sam_here
Cald
Fire
9 posters

Go down

Smokin Mils Calendar Empty Smokin Mils Calendar

Post by Fire 23/8/2012, 6:04 am

If one of the higher-ranking members (not necessarily Admin or even General) is up for a project, I have an idea - an official Smokin Mils calendar!

It would basically be a calendar (hosted by many different programs, like Google) which would include all things Smokin Mils.

IE:
Clan Events
Changes to clan or announcements
People's applications for positions within the clan getting accepted
Particularly large bets
Milestones for the clan (ie number of registered forum members)
Larger giveaway results

I realize that this would be far too much work for one person, so I think we should use a program that allows multiple people to input data if they have permission. Google Calendar would actually be perfect.

Anyway, just an idea, please discuss.
Fire
Fire
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Smokin Mils Calendar Empty Re: Smokin Mils Calendar

Post by Cald 23/8/2012, 8:02 am

Seems like a good idea, but most of this stuff just ends up being in the Smokin News at the end of each month anyway, the only difference is that in the Smokin News there aren't any dates included.
Cald
Cald
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by sam_here 24/8/2012, 5:32 am

Honestly all I've seen in "daily" tools (ones that need to be updated daily or sometimes weekly) just end up not being updated at all. Great idea I just don't see it being kept up with.
sam_here
sam_here
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by JIGL0JAY 24/8/2012, 6:09 am

Cald wrote:Seems like a good idea, but most of this stuff just ends up being in the Smokin News at the end of each month anyway, the only difference is that in the Smokin News there aren't any dates included.

He's not asking for a recap. He's asking for a calendar that lists what events are happening when.
JIGL0JAY
JIGL0JAY
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

http://cliffordthecorrupt.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Blood 24/8/2012, 6:35 am

JIGL0JAY wrote:
Cald wrote:Seems like a good idea, but most of this stuff just ends up being in the Smokin News at the end of each month anyway, the only difference is that in the Smokin News there aren't any dates included.

He's not asking for a recap. He's asking for a calendar that lists what events are happening when.

Actually, he's asking for a bit of both.

Calendar markings for upcoming events, but also a marking of days for current happenings (ie: on Friday August 24, 2012 - The highest dicing pot was recorded by host x and was recorded at a whopping 30B) - then on September 1, 2012 - A Dan's Rank group are preparing for a Soul Wars Takeover! Don't forget to sign up!
Blood
Blood
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly 24/8/2012, 7:12 am

It sounds like a good idea, but in the end it's quite a bit of work. Right now for events specifically you can always just check--it's one, two clicks away. They're globally posted twenty-four hours prior to the event, so you should see it regardless where you are looking on the forums.

Things like this are a great idea, but I've also seen them become severely outdated, or people rely to heavily on them, and if for some reason it does become outdated. Another possibility is if, for example, an event's time or date was changed for one odd reason or another, the parties who are leading said event may not remember to update the calender, or the person(s) responsible for updating the calender may not get the memo.
Kelly
Kelly
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire 26/8/2012, 5:38 am

In response to a few points:

1. Part of this is already in Smokin News
--Actually, very little of it is. And for the bit that is, there's nothing wrong with a small amount of overlap.
2. Its too much work!
--There's no question that it would be a lot of work. But I think by granting access to the calendar to a large amount of people, it would be divided into small enough chunks that no one would be overly inconvenienced by it. Its not something that requires trust, as any calendar entries are easily reversible, so I think Ranks and above could do it.
3. It will become outdated
--Well, this goes with #2 - if a lot of people help manage it, it should stay alive.
4. If event times change, people could forget to change calendar
--Good point. In every entry for an event, they should also include a link to event forum page, so that people can check it out more. Remember that in the calendar it'll just have a short entry - the time, brief description, the rank group - so anyone interested will click the link and learn more there.

I actually think its a decent idea. In addition to helping people remember events and stuff, its a nice way to consolidate a lot of different parts of SM into one. I mean, we could put stuff like Management's birthdays on there too. It would really help the community, I think.
Fire
Fire

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ontario 26/8/2012, 8:40 pm

I think this is a good idea, but I doubt that the effort is worth the case. Like if there is only 1 person in charge of the calendar, he/she would have to go look around for upcoming events and stuff to place on the calendar.

I like how it is right now, where if someone is looking for an event they can just go to the events thread and look for one. Just my opinion, maybe it changed your thought on the calendar.
Miss Ontario
Miss Ontario
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by mlb sk1ller 29/8/2012, 9:04 pm

This is actually a great idea, but as others have said before it would be hard for people to get all the info and have the correct dates on everything, most events just happen in a general time frame, not an exact time.
mlb sk1ller
mlb sk1ller
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire 1/9/2012, 8:04 pm

Miss Ontario wrote:I think this is a good idea, but I doubt that the effort is worth the case. Like if there is only 1 person in charge of the calendar, he/she would have to go look around for upcoming events and stuff to place on the calendar.

I like how it is right now, where if someone is looking for an event they can just go to the events thread and look for one. Just my opinion, maybe it changed your thought on the calendar.
Yes, but there wouldn't just be one person. And its more than just events.
mlb sk1ller wrote:This is actually a great idea, but as others have said before it would be hard for people to get all the info and have the correct dates on everything, most events just happen in a general time frame, not an exact time.
Well, in response to the general time frame vrs exact time - in the calendar, it would just be a one line summary of the event, and some details, but most importantly a link to the event page. So it would be more to alert people of the events, and then if they're interested they'll click on the link.

Keep in mind that events won't be the only thing on the calendar.
Fire
Fire

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine 6/9/2012, 11:34 am

It is a nice idea and I believe the forums themselves even support it, but I don't think it is worth the effort.

It would overlapse a lot with Smokin News, Events can already so easily be accessed in the Clan event forums and dates for promotions etc. are not so important. If we ever need to find them out we can do so within a minute.

You can add as many people as you want to it, but there will always be several things forgotten which will make it more and more incomplete, I don't think it is needed, kind of double work with few benefits.

Thanks for the suggestion though Smile
Divine
Divine
Administrator
Administrator

http://merchz.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down