Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stock market

+4
Adri
Daxaal
Corowns
Blackyy
8 posters

Go down

Stock market Empty Stock market

Post by Blackyy 15/12/2013, 8:51 am

Hello everybody,
I have a question semi-runescape related.

You know all this knowledge we have earned from merching, reading graphs, etc.
Since this knowledge is somewhat related with the real stock market, I have a question, maybe you might be able to answer.

Where may one go to find live/daily graphs with prizes of stocks and raises/drops?
As anyone of you tried this market?
Do you have any suggestions/tips?

Thanks for any inquiries that you may have.
Also, please dont spam this thread, if you have nothing to say but "no I do not have any knowledge in this field", please just skip and go to another thread, thank you.

P.S. rip 2000th post.

also does anyone have a clue on how to buy a share, I have no knowledge at all about this, but I think with Runescape merching history, it might be somewhat related, and not so hard to enter the market.

Blackyy
Forum Master (1500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Stock market Empty Re: Stock market

Post by Corowns 15/12/2013, 11:31 am

I'm heavily involved in the stock market and have been for quite awhile. I know Snow has been doing some good work in the stock market at merchz.com but it isn't useful for what you're looking for.

I suggest just using something like etrade.com where you have graphs available to you. There are also YaHoo Stocks but I don't find their graphs nearly as useful as they aren't as interconnected with the main media.

WARNING: The actual stock market is nothing like the RS market. It's completely different and requires far more knowledge. Consider doing heavy research.
Corowns
Corowns
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Daxaal 15/12/2013, 4:26 pm

Where may one go to find live/daily graphs with prizes of stocks and raises/drops?
You can check out google Finance or Yahoo Finance for the graphs of various different stocks plus with the stocks listed there they also have a list of news items related to the company of that particular stock. You can also check out the official graphs from the stock exchange site themselves for example in Australia there is the Australia Stock Exchange and their site is www.asx.com.au/ which is where you can check out the official graphs.

I have tried it with virtual money in the competition games that the ASX offers to the public. I usually end up having increased my starting cash by 3%-7% when the game is over after 3 months or so.

Do you have any suggestions/tips?
I guess it would be to really really really do research on the companies before you invest in them and go long term if you can in a company you feel confident with. If you want to try a somewhat risky investment but potentially very profitable go for penny stocks. These stocks fluctuate alot more than other stocks and can bring big profits.
Daxaal
Daxaal
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Adri 15/12/2013, 4:51 pm

Daxaal wrote:
I have tried it with virtual money in the competition games that the ASX offers to the public. I usually end up having increased my starting cash by 3%-7% when the game is over after 3 months or so.

3-7% is not bad! I've played these kinda things too. Your best news is to 'predict' big things like wars etc (Oil/Gold).. This is however... harder than it sounds lol
Adri
Adri
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackyy 16/12/2013, 3:55 am

[ADMIN] Corowns wrote:I'm heavily involved in the stock market and have been for quite awhile. I know Snow has been doing some good work in the stock market at merchz.com but it isn't useful for what you're looking for.

I suggest just using something like etrade.com where you have graphs available to you. There are also YaHoo Stocks but I don't find their graphs nearly as useful as they aren't as interconnected with the main media.

WARNING: The actual stock market is nothing like the RS market. It's completely different and requires far more knowledge. Consider doing heavy research.

I understand that, I am not going in with my wager of the year based on Runescape Knowledge dont worry.
I am following economics and finance classes at the moment, and I think one thing Runescape helped me with was finding reasons why prices of items are crashing, reading graphs and knowing that a crashing item is not always a risky investment.
I am considering maybe entering this market with a really small sum and/or joining a stock market activity at school and that is why I requested some help.
I will check these up, thank you.

Blackyy

Back to top Go down

Post by Isen 16/12/2013, 2:55 pm

Yahoo finance is good. Once you find something you think you might be interested in, do research. Just because you like a certain brand of food or drink doesn't mean it will be in your best interest in investing in it. I wouldn't call it trying the market. Little amounts of money now can turn into huge amounts through compound interest. The classic example is investing $10,000 today, at a 10% interest rate compounded over 30 years, it could potentially become nearly $175,000. But on the flip side, many people have lost all that money by investing in major companies. For example, Bethlehem Steel. You've probably never heard of them, but they provided steel for the Golden Gate Bridge, the Empire State Building, MSG, Alcatraz, and the Hoover Dam. Founded in 1857, filed bankruptcy in 2003. That $175,000 you thought you would have is worth $0 today. History Lesson: My father worked there during their hayday. he was sent a check, which he still has on his wall for $1.23. He has a statement from 2 weeks before in which his total stock value was over $450,000. Only risk what you are willing to lose.
Isen
Isen
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by FrodoTBaginz 17/12/2013, 3:46 pm

I like Gooogle finance for just browsing through graphs. You can add tons of different averages etc.

Like Isen said, Yahoo finance is also good. If you go to the website click on the investing tab, then click on stocks, then Stock screener, you can set criteria to what you want. One my my profs showed it to us and pulled up a list of mutual funds that have made 15%+ profit each year (consecutively) for the last 15 years.

Another great way to invest is in Mutual Funds. It is the stock market, but you are pooling money together with hundreds if not thousands of other people and a professional investor uses the money to invest in. He takes a small percentage of the profit but it isnt very much. My mom has a financial planner who invests in them for her and he has made over 10% a year for the passed 6 or 7 years.

Before you start investing I suggest you do a "fake" investment. Pretend you have $100k, and "invest" it in different stocks and or mutual funds. It is a cool, risk free way of getting a hand of the stock market and seeing what its really like. It can be extremely risky if you don't know what you are doing and doing this fake investment can help you realize the risk but also how rewarding it can be.
FrodoTBaginz
FrodoTBaginz
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by KushBush 17/12/2013, 6:34 pm

I use a website called Investopedia.com for the stock market. It covers a lot of things you need to know and even allows you to participate in a real time stock market with virtual money. So far I've made nearly $11,000 since late September but that has a lot to do with me getting really lucky on my twitter stocks (They made me $9k alone). At the same time, the virtual stock market teaches you the risks as well, for example I dipped -$10k at one point.

Hope you find what you need and good luck to you.

KushBush
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Snow 18/12/2013, 5:08 pm

I've been trading and investing pretty consistently for the last two years, before that I had a co-signed mutual fund. I've done everything from hand-trading, investing in mutual funds, ETFs, and algo trading. As Corowns said I also do run a website for stocks, only it is actually http://sentdex.com. That website measures sentiment for stocks to predict short term cycles.

From my experience, which is extremely short, I can tell you that you should first read, and don't trade. Buy an ETF like the $SPY, which is an index fund of the S&P 500... and just let it sit collecting interest and dividends.

Trading loses money for most. 95% of traders lose money in the market. It is just addicting, and a form of gambling. Day trading really got its start as gambling in what was called "bucket shops" where people placed wagers on where price would go. Now, it is very similar. Unless you are trading with $50,000 USD+ the trade fees give you close to 40/60 odds and you WILL lose your money gradually.

Stick with something closer to value investing if you want to play with stocks. Go with an ETF (I suggest a simple one like the $SPY) until you have actually learned how to analyze a company. Some great books I would recommend are:

The Intelligent Investor
and
Security Analysis

Definitely read the first. It is very short.

Some of the smartest people in the world still cant beat something as simple as buying and holding the SPY plus the dividends.

It's such a simple thing, but people just love the sex appeal of trading and pay for it. Read up and best wishes.
Snow
Snow
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackyy 19/12/2013, 8:41 am

Thank to all for all your great comments.
I will proceed to rep+ everybody from time to time.

Blackyy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down