Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New topic because I have more questions/points so we need a new topic apparently for that

+12
Aezure
Daxaal
Connor
STD PT
[ADMIN] Adrijana
Cille
Music
Kelly
Gildarts
MerchTilIDie
JIGL0JAY
Broeder
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New topic because I have more questions/points so we need a new topic apparently for that - Page 2 Empty Re: New topic because I have more questions/points so we need a new topic apparently for that

Post by Gecko 9/10/2014, 5:16 pm

Aezure wrote:
JIGL0JAY wrote:
[ADMIN] Adrijana wrote: Best debate in a long ass time Razz

IMMA LET YOU FINISH

BUT PROVE MY EXISTENCE IN A GEOPOLITICAL STATE WAS THE BEST THREAD OF ALL TIME

Satan font; invalid argument.

Your statement is not a sentence; a semicolon is not the same as a comma. Your point is invalid; Jiglo, your argument is valid.
Gecko
Gecko
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

New topic because I have more questions/points so we need a new topic apparently for that - Page 2 Empty Re: New topic because I have more questions/points so we need a new topic apparently for that

Post by Music 9/10/2014, 6:09 pm

Gecko wrote:
Aezure wrote:
JIGL0JAY wrote:

IMMA LET YOU FINISH

Your statement is not a sentence; a semicolon is not the same as a comma. Your point is invalid; Jiglo, your argument is valid.

That should have read
"You used a satanic font: invalid argument."
or
"You used a satanic font; you have an invalid argument"
or
"You used a satanic font, thus you have an invalid argument"

Happy, GeckoNazi?
Music
Music
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Phileep 9/10/2014, 7:34 pm

Now let me begin by saying I am not particularly active in this section, but I do at least read it from time to time. As such, take all my comments with a grain of salt.

I actually do care for verbal sparring every now and again but I haven't participated at all either because I didn't feel myself knowledgeable enough on the topic or did not have a extreme position on the issue. This may be the case for the rest of the "debating population" ... indeed in the few recent topics that aroused some interest we were all essentially in agreement on the topic, or took a relatively moderate stance. In life, such moderate stances tend to be good for us, but they do not breed much debate. Unfortunately I see no way to cure this dry spell of activity, however I do not think it right to degrade the OP simply because he does not have all the answers. He is, at least, providing some questions (and ironically, some debate).

This thread is interesting because we do actually have some extreme positions on the topic at hand. This is turning out to be a debate between those with power and those without... and I mean that only very literally; the mods are debating some drifters from the days of yore. That said, with great power comes great responsibility. We can't have the project leaders locking the topic as soon as they feel they've won the debate. And this is especially problematic when the opposite is closer to the truth.

While the way in which Broeder criticizes is not completely constructive, you should do your best to extract the essence of what he's saying and address is appropriately. In the previous thread Broeder mentioned that closing debates so frequently was, in his eyes, problematic. Kelly's response was that "passing" the debates was the nature of the system, and "passing" them did not entirely close them off from discussion. So perhaps Broeder's accusation of why the threads were being passed was incorrect [this was said more transparently by Kid in this thread, but I believe Kelly's final response to the original thread was getting at this], however this raises another interesting point: "Should things be done this way?" However, the topic was abruptly closed. Nothing constructive could emerge from it. I'll interject here and address Kid post 14 (this thread) and I believe I am right in saying that your problem with Broeder is the fact that he is offering criticism but not suggestions ... however I would argue that Broeder point #2 is clearly a suggestion, though he phrases it not as one. He says that passing the topics is not productive, and you're unable to extract that he is suggesting you not do that? If you [all] would cooperate more on trying to develop a system more pleasing to everyone then that could actually get some productivity out of this thread. Sure, Broeder is likely too extreme in his stance, but he has made some valid points which you have failed to address, contrary to what you state when you decide the thread is better locked than open. Also let me note that the off-topic is being created by trolls and that the main point is actually carrying on in spite of that. This has developed into more than a simple Question and Answer thread, and as such I think it is fairer to leave it open for debate (as this section would advocate, I imagine). And no, you shouldn't write [PASSED] either. Or else you will actually look defensive.

Let me finish by remarking that the outcome of this debate doesn't affect me at all, as such I'm trying to be as impartial as possible, and if it seems that I'm on Broeder's side it's only because I feel injustice is being done to his threads. If you post something that I'm interested in debating, and that I feel I could contribute to nicely, then I will still post regardless of whether or not the [PASSED] issue is addressed.

(P.S. This probably would actually be better resolved via pm, but I'm a bit selfishly glad that it wasn't so that I could read it and duly contribute)
Phileep
Phileep
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightl0ck 10/10/2014, 1:17 am

Gildarts wrote:Solved and swayed way off topic Locked.
Don't be a dick. Debates are debates and this is a debate if I've seen one. Can you even prove my geopolitical location in a state in which I used to post on the forums? No? GOOOOOOD LUCKKKKKKKk
Nightl0ck
Nightl0ck
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Muffins 10/10/2014, 2:55 am

I thought you guys were trying to make SM look better (such as the split from the other part), but this thread is quite a childish argument.
Muffins
Muffins
Forum Master (1500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Aezure 10/10/2014, 11:34 am

Music wrote:
Gecko wrote:
Aezure wrote:
JIGL0JAY wrote:

IMMA LET YOU FINISH

That should have read
or
or

Happy, GeckoNazi?

Meaning conveyed, intelligence gated and communication successful. Grammar Nazis are simply inferior beings who wish otherwise.
Aezure
Aezure
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

http://5jungle.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Music 10/10/2014, 12:02 pm

Aezure wrote:
Music wrote:
Gecko wrote:
Aezure wrote:
JIGL0JAY wrote:

IMMA LET YOU FINISH

That should have read
or
or

Happy, GeckoNazi?

Meaning conveyed, intelligence gated and communication successful. Grammar Nazis are simply inferior beings who wish otherwise.

I'm a grammar nazi too Sad rip
Music
Music
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gecko 10/10/2014, 12:22 pm

Music wrote:
Aezure wrote:
Music wrote:
Gecko wrote:
Aezure wrote:
JIGL0JAY wrote:

IMMA LET YOU FINISH

That should have read
or
or

Happy, GeckoNazi?

I'm a grammar nazi too Sad rip

As well this does, in fact, tickle my fancy. ^-^
Gecko
Gecko
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Broeder 10/10/2014, 2:26 pm

Ok, now this topic can be locked imo.
Broeder
Broeder
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Music 10/10/2014, 6:21 pm

Broeder wrote:Ok, now this topic can be locked imo.

But I love useless spam
Music
Music
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor 10/10/2014, 6:41 pm

Broeder wrote:Ok, now this topic can be locked imo.

I'm still waiting for a response to what I posted 2 pages back or so.
Connor
Connor
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gildarts 10/10/2014, 6:48 pm

Connor wrote:
Edit- Also Kelly you mentioned somewhere that just because a debate says [PASSED] doesn't mean it can't be posted on. Look at the forum and tell me the last time someone posted on a [PASSED] event past the actual due date? Or even close to this date. I'd say just keep them open without the PASSED tag. People are smart enough to see the creation date in the OP. Let the users decide if a debate is over.
Just my $0.02

Me and Kelly spoke about it and decided to take away the Tag [PASSED] and are planning on making a Topic every 2 weeks instead of every week.
Gildarts
Gildarts

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightl0ck 10/10/2014, 9:09 pm

Nightl0ck wrote:
Don't be a dick. Debates are debates and this is a debate if I've seen one.  Can you even prove my geopolitical location in a state in which I used to post on the forums? No?  GOOOOOOD LUCKKKKKKKk
Since this is all the new rage, explain why I was -repped otherwise Ill have to become very angry and belligerent.
Nightl0ck
Nightl0ck
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor 10/10/2014, 9:44 pm

Gildarts wrote:
Connor wrote:
Edit- Also Kelly you mentioned somewhere that just because a debate says [PASSED] doesn't mean it can't be posted on. Look at the forum and tell me the last time someone posted on a [PASSED] event past the actual due date? Or even close to this date. I'd say just keep them open without the PASSED tag. People are smart enough to see the creation date in the OP. Let the users decide if a debate is over.
Just my $0.02

Me and Kelly spoke about it and decided to take away the Tag [PASSED] and are planning on making a Topic every 2 weeks instead of every week.

Good enough for me.
Connor
Connor
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Muffins 11/10/2014, 12:16 am

Nightl0ck wrote:
Nightl0ck wrote:
Don't be a dick. Debates are debates and this is a debate if I've seen one.  Can you even prove my geopolitical location in a state in which I used to post on the forums? No?  GOOOOOOD LUCKKKKKKKk
Since this is all the new rage, explain why I was -repped otherwise Ill have to become very angry and belligerent.

remember when people got demoted for not explaining their -reps? Pepperidge Farm remembers
Muffins
Muffins

Back to top Go down

Post by Gildarts 11/10/2014, 12:18 am

Nightl0ck wrote:
Nightl0ck wrote:

I didn't rep- you however i have the answer to that.

P.S I made it bigger made it Red and made it bold.

Also all questions answer and solved now it may be locked. If you have further changes you would like to be seen to post int he appropriate section please thank you.
Gildarts
Gildarts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2