Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reminder: Short posts are NOT always spam

+17
Skillshot
Gummy
yddet
mma2000
Precor
dom1
falien god
BoneCrush
UberSM
Jad Assaf
Extravagance
`Sonic`
Calvin & Hobbes
DefenceTank
Broeder
Lucky
Theta Zero
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Reminder: Short posts are NOT always spam Empty Reminder: Short posts are NOT always spam

Post by Theta Zero 14/6/2011, 4:24 pm

It's been brought to my attention that a significant number of the reports here are regarding members posting short messages in a single forum section, or relatively short, one-sentence posts. This is a reminder that so long as the posts are on topic, and that short, one-word posts don't make up a signficant portion of a members postcount, there is little reason to report them. Members are more than welcome to stick to one or two forum areas they feel most comfortable in, provided that they post constructive material. There is nothing we can, or should do, to punish members that are not verbose or do not yet feel comfortable straying out of the Welcome forums.

That being said, please do feel free to report repeat offender necroposters (posting on unofficial threads with no replys for 1 month+), as well as phishers and actual spammers (repeated and nonsensical, off-topic messages). I will be more than happy to take care of these members.

In other news, I'll be tweaking the forum archiving settings soon so that necroposting shouldn't be much of an issue anymore.

Theta Zero
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Reminder: Short posts are NOT always spam Empty Re: Reminder: Short posts are NOT always spam

Post by Lucky 14/6/2011, 4:35 pm

No more gravedigging? Very Happy YES Very Happy
Although I love how you put it...
[ADMIN] Faded Wings wrote: necroposting
XD
Lucky
Lucky
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Reminder: Short posts are NOT always spam Empty Re: Reminder: Short posts are NOT always spam

Post by Broeder 14/6/2011, 4:36 pm

What about introduction spammers?
Broeder
Broeder
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by DefenceTank 14/6/2011, 4:37 pm

Ok

DefenceTank
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Theta Zero 14/6/2011, 4:41 pm

Broeder wrote:What about introduction spammers?

If they're mixing it up and are somewhat constructive in their introduction replys, I don't have much problem with them. The main thing to realize is I'm not going to ban someone for welcoming 30+ people to our forums. They might get a verbal warning and at worst, a two-day ban. But nothing permanent. Unless it's a significant problem or they're copying/pasting replys, there's little need to report it.

Theta Zero
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Calvin & Hobbes 14/6/2011, 7:30 pm

Please don't make it remove guides when they get old. The guides don't get less useful for that.
Calvin & Hobbes
Calvin & Hobbes
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by `Sonic` 14/6/2011, 11:08 pm

Cool, thanks a lot! This will be very helpful to Guest too!

*waits for the next update to spam on the first page*
`Sonic`
`Sonic`
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Extravagance 14/6/2011, 11:16 pm

»Mîkäd¿« wrote:Cool, thanks a lot! This will be very helpful to Guest too!

Facepalm

What about the people that post nothing but things like "Gl" and "nice" on threads? Or the ones like the post above yours?

Edit: Oh, and thanks for lowering the chances of a thread being gravedug. Very Happy
Extravagance
Extravagance
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Theta Zero 17/6/2011, 12:29 am

Calvin & Hobbes wrote:Please don't make it remove guides when they get old. The guides don't get less useful for that.

I can incorporate different limits for different forum sections, don't worry Smile

Theta Zero
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jad Assaf 6/7/2011, 6:49 am

ok
Jad Assaf
Jad Assaf
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

http://www.eprime.tk

Back to top Go down

Post by Calvin & Hobbes 6/7/2011, 1:29 pm

[ADMIN] Theta Zero wrote:
Calvin & Hobbes wrote:Please don't make it remove guides when they get old. The guides don't get less useful for that.

I can incorporate different limits for different forum sections, don't worry Smile

Thanks, good to know
Calvin & Hobbes
Calvin & Hobbes
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by UberSM 28/7/2011, 11:08 pm

I wish i'd seen this topic before, as there are several people on here who are getting confused with short posts that are being accused as spam. I think these are the same people from the troll catagory. You know, the ones who constantly flame, troll, and attack other members.
UberSM
UberSM
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by BoneCrush 15/9/2011, 9:09 pm

`Sonic` wrote:Cool, thanks a lot! This will be very helpful to Guest too!

lol..

BoneCrush
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by falien god 7/12/2011, 1:15 am

this clears things up a lot lol
falien god
falien god
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by dom1 20/12/2011, 3:03 pm

^ what he said. lol.

and what am i doing wrong sonic? if you see how i have replied on threads, its not excessively, or even off topic. so idk what the problem is.
dom1
dom1
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Precor 20/12/2011, 4:18 pm

dom1 wrote:^ what he said. lol.

and what am i doing wrong sonic? if you see how i have replied on threads, its not excessively, or even off topic. so idk what the problem is.
...Facepalm...
It's a code to say the forum name of whoever is reading the post/thread. The code is {username} but "username" has to be all caps.
Ex: Guest has been spamming these forums forever! Razz
Precor
Precor
Forum Addict (750 posts)
Forum Addict (750 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by mma2000 28/3/2012, 3:14 am

Precor wrote:

...Facepalm...
It's a code to say the forum name of whoever is reading the post/thread. The code is {username} but "username" has to be all caps.

Right well if i have spammed im sorry il make more of a effort to check over my post a few times before posing.

mma2000
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by yddet 26/10/2012, 1:18 am

so am i in any trouble about makeing guides and reseving space
yddet
yddet
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gummy 26/10/2012, 3:37 am

yddet wrote:so am i in any trouble about makeing guides and reseving space

If by reserving space you mean posting "res" or "reserved" as a post then no, but try and keep it within an understandable amount depending on what your guide is about and what you could really use/need those spaces for.

Example: If you posted a guide about Firemaking and made ten "reserved" posts, that would be major overkill.

Last edited by Gummy Bear on 26/10/2012, 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Gummy
Gummy
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by yddet 26/10/2012, 10:49 am

the ff13 cieth stone mission guide im makeing atm cant get anywhere near all on a few posts i just seem to keep maxing out the letters limit half way thru a part.

but ill try not to reserve to much space in the future if i can
yddet
yddet
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Skillshot 27/10/2012, 5:30 pm

ok
Skillshot
Skillshot
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Galathra 26/11/2012, 10:06 pm

Precor wrote:

...Facepalm...

Thank God for your explanation haha. I was like affraid for a minute there
Galathra
Galathra
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by XxSinzxX 6/12/2012, 8:14 pm

Theta Zero wrote:
Broeder wrote:What about introduction spammers?

If they're mixing it up and are somewhat constructive in their introduction replys, I don't have much problem with them. The main thing to realize is I'm not going to ban someone for welcoming 30+ people to our forums. They might get a verbal warning and at worst, a two-day ban. But nothing permanent. Unless it's a significant problem or they're copying/pasting replys, there's little need to report it.

Hi i have gotten 2 warning now about this and i would like to ask what the problem is? as you can see in this quote i have done nothing but help the new comers. When i first joined i was indeed copy and pasting a reply (but if you took it upon yourself to check what i was actually copy and pasting, it wasnt a simple line of text, it was a fat chunck of text with nothing but useful,on topic, information about sections of the forums that i, myself, experienced in my first few days of becoming a member, i pointed out that SM offers free guides and gave information on VIP and what it has to offer (as i bought VIP within the first day of joining the forums). It was not mindless spamming; the replys i gave, im sure, helped a lot of the newcomers. And now again im getting warnings about this same topic (this time it is just normal welcomes that are not copy and pasted and if you would again take it upon yourself to look through all of them you would see they are all different in content but are all on topic and are just simply to welcome unanswered intoduction newcomers to these fine forums. As you can see i am already a VIP (going into my second month of membership) therefore i am not post hunting as i already have access to all the tiers and what not, i am doing this out of pure friendly-ness towards newcomers!

if i may quote a quote "The main thing to realize is I'm not going to ban someone for welcoming 30+ people to our forums." ~Theta Zero

Why am i being punished or warned for taking it upon myself to help the newcomers when no one else is answering their posts. It does not do them justice and frankly from my point of view is kinda messed up that no one at all is greeting them. And because of this (again from MY point of view) may be deterring most people to staying a part of this forums because they think it isnt really active or that they might feel that no one cares for their presence. Again this is all from my point of view at the time of writing this post.
XxSinzxX
XxSinzxX
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Huluplus 6/12/2012, 8:19 pm

Posting on introductions is not a bad thing to do, most people limit themselves to 2 - 3 a day (was sort of an un-spoken rule) but from what I have seen a lot of your introduction posts have been on 2 week+ old threads where the Thread poster has either never came back to the forums OR the thread poster has already been around for a while and has already gotten their post count up.

PS. I made an introduction thread when I joined and no one posted on it.
Huluplus
Huluplus
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by XxSinzxX 6/12/2012, 8:28 pm

Like i said in the last post, no one greeting them may have been the reason they didnt stick around, it might have given them the impression that this forum isnt very active or that the higher ups dont care about little old them. This is just my opinion and the way i am looking at it right now. Im sorry if this is indeed spamming, but in no way shape or form am i, or will ever be, sorry for my kindness towards newcomers or in general. It doesnt seem right to have them ignored, after all every rank here in SM was a newcomer at some point... Imagine if they felt the same way after being ignored or having no one take interest in the fact that they joined seeking help.
XxSinzxX
XxSinzxX
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next