Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Doubts about VIP?

+13
jfishy
Steetoh
Towno
lost1nlove
Daxaal
trscene
Under
Spunq
enemychris
drumspwn95
CheeseHead
Malarroy
bs merchants
17 posters

Go down

Doubts about VIP? Empty Doubts about VIP?

Post by bs merchants 11/6/2012, 7:56 pm

In the IRC I've recently spoken to several people, all who were partially tempted to buy VIP but weren't convinced that it was the right thing to do. I hope this post will help improve your view of VIP whilst not making everything appear as sweet and easy as general marketing does.

First off, a bit about myself. I've been a VIP member for about 2 months now, and a member of this forum for about 2 years. Before becoming an active member of the community, I would have described myself as a reasonable merchanter; not the best but I certainly knew more than the basics. During my time at Smokin Mils I feel my merchanting has improved, and certainly my coin pile is ever-growing, but I feel becoming VIP was still beneficial for me.

Many people expect VIP to suddenly improve your merchanting capability; it won't. VIP will not magically make you more money; you still have to earn 100% of it. Do not come to VIP expecting to get all the benefits if you're not prepared to work for them.

Currently VIP is under refurbishment due to Jagex's recent update removing the resetting GE limits, something that has forced a drastic rethinking in people's general merchanting strategy. More guides are being worked on, but the current ones are mostly directed towards the more basic forms of merchanting in order to help get newer members up to a reasonable standard. In accompaniment to the guides are several videos designed to demonstrate some of the techniques you may learn in the guides. There are also a few guides detailing more advanced topics such as high-wealth item flipping and merchanting with respect to the time of day. Whilst I would rate all the guides quite highly, I personally wouldn't see it as enough to justify the $9 per month - so let me explain what I feel makes VIP such a good idea.

Snow, who most people recognise as Smokin Mils' best merchant, is always around willing to help with any merchanting problems you might have. I've had several IRC conversations with him related to some research I was trying to do and it's turned into a much bigger joint project with him that has already started to explore some crazy new things. In my opinion, he is a credit to the entire community and is really approachable. You can't expect him to teach you everything, but you're paying for the privilege of his advise and help so make the most of it.

In addition to Snow, nearly all members that are trainee+ will be more than willing to assist you in merchanting. I can't say we view VIP members in a different light to standard members, but we are there to help you if need be.

VIP members also get access to all 4 tiers of flipping items, and a few current VIP members have already commented just how great some of the items are (although I rarely ever use it as a reference myself, so I can't really comment). This isn't VIP exclusive, but it does save you from having to spam to 750 posts Razz

Now, this is the best bit of VIP: our IRC bot.

VIP members get EXCLUSIVE access to an IRC channel that has a price checking bot running. Ranks are permitted into the channel in order to update the price FOR YOU, effectively spoon-feeding you items and prices to flip with (although please don't see this as an easy option to not doing this yourself). There are people in the channel nearly all the time, and most often has fresh items for you to try out. This truely is worth VIP alone in its own rights, and many current members can agree on this.

I would recommend VIP for anyone who doesn't know a thing about merchanting but would like to; anyone who would consider themselves as a novice or even an okish merchant; or anyone else who wishes to exploit to potentials of Snow's expert partnership and the price checking bot.

Lastly: how much money can you expect to make with VIP? This is tough, but I work by the assumption that using the price checking bot on a regular basis whilst learning to merch independantly through time you can expect about 1m per hour for every 20m RSGP you have to merchant with. As you get more and more money to play around with, you can expect that figure to drop off a bit, however you should then be looking towards investment and manipulation which is soon to be expanded upon, both of which can yield far greater profits than flipping.

Whilst I know this post is short and sweet, it contains my general thoughts on VIP and I hope it will help you to make the right decision; I hate to see someone waste VIP, and I hate to see someone waste so much potential.

I'll be happy to answer any further questions via pm or IRC (nick "bs_merchants" and "typ").

Last edited by bs merchants on 16/6/2012, 5:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
bs merchants
bs merchants
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Doubts about VIP? Empty Re: Doubts about VIP?

Post by Malarroy 11/6/2012, 8:20 pm

VIP members get EXCLUSIVE access to an IRC channel that has a price checking bot running. Ranks are permitted into the channel in order to update the price FOR YOU, effective spoon-feeding you items and prices to flip with (although please don't see this as an easy option to not doing this yourself).

So are you saying that the bot actually checks the prices, or a rank does and the bot just relays the information?
Malarroy
Malarroy
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by bs merchants 11/6/2012, 8:41 pm

Malarroy wrote:
VIP members get EXCLUSIVE access to an IRC channel that has a price checking bot running. Ranks are permitted into the channel in order to update the price FOR YOU, effective spoon-feeding you items and prices to flip with (although please don't see this as an easy option to not doing this yourself).

So are you saying that the bot actually checks the prices, or a rank does and the bot just relays the information?

Ranks manually update the prices and the bot relays the information (with extra features to maximise profits). This is possible due to Jagex's update removing refreshing limits on the GE. The idea is someone flips the item for themselves and once they've used up their 4 hour limit they can pass all the prices on to someone else.

Items are forever being updated, and most ranks are happy to price check items on request. This is especially helpful for things like treasure trail items and rares.
bs merchants
bs merchants

Back to top Go down

Post by Malarroy 11/6/2012, 8:53 pm

Ahh, that's pretty cool. If I played more often, I'd definitely considering buying it.
Malarroy
Malarroy
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by CheeseHead 12/6/2012, 6:30 pm

it sounds like it would be a good think for newer people. im not sure its worth the money
CheeseHead
CheeseHead
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by bs merchants 12/6/2012, 6:46 pm

CheeseHead wrote:it sounds like it would be a good think for newer people. im not sure its worth the money

PM me your situation and I'll give you my honest thoughts on whether VIP would be a worthwhile thing for you or not.
bs merchants
bs merchants

Back to top Go down

Doubts about VIP? Empty Thanks for the advice:)

Post by drumspwn95 13/6/2012, 2:20 am

Honestly, I appreciate the time you put into this post... I was just debating the idea myself and this here inspired me to go through with getting a VIP membership. In fact this is probably my first post, lol (which I need to actually issue a VIP membership lol. Thanks again, drumspwn95

drumspwn95
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by enemychris 16/6/2012, 12:42 pm

you wont regret getting vip Smile. It is going to be getting even better soon as i have heard about some of the thigns snow has got planned for it Smile
enemychris
enemychris
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Spunq 16/6/2012, 12:45 pm

Okay so this guy convinced me to buy VIP, which i am doing currently, and if it's not worth it i will be having words ;D joke, nice thread man Smile
Spunq
Spunq
Forum Master (1500 posts)
Forum Master (1500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Under 16/6/2012, 7:24 pm

I'll be looking into purchasing VIP in the upcoming couple of weeks, if I can. Thanks for the information, though.
Under
Under
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by trscene 1/7/2012, 12:32 pm

I guess this inspired me to become a vip, I will become one as soon as I can, maximum in1 month Very Happy. Nice job keep going
trscene
trscene
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Daxaal 9/7/2012, 1:22 pm

bs merchants wrote:
Malarroy wrote:

Ranks manually update the prices and the bot relays the information (with extra features to maximise profits). This is possible due to Jagex's update removing refreshing limits on the GE. The idea is someone flips the item for themselves and once they've used up their 4 hour limit they can pass all the prices on to someone else.

Items are forever being updated, and most ranks are happy to price check items on request. This is especially helpful for things like treasure trail items and rares.

There is now a bot that you can request to price check items under 100k Very Happy
Daxaal
Daxaal
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by bs merchants 9/7/2012, 2:45 pm

Daxaal wrote:
bs merchants wrote:
Malarroy wrote:

There is now a bot that you can request to price check items under 100k Very Happy

Yes, I wrote that bot
bs merchants
bs merchants

Back to top Go down

Post by Daxaal 10/7/2012, 6:31 am

bs merchants wrote:
Daxaal wrote:
bs merchants wrote:
Malarroy wrote:

Yes, I wrote that bot

Yes but the bot that updates margins automatically for you is new because before a rank or someone else had to update it for you now there is a bot that will check the price and update it for you without the need of requesting a rank
Daxaal
Daxaal
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by lost1nlove 2/8/2012, 2:29 pm

I'm thinking pretty heavily about getting lifetime VIP, how has it been updated since this summary has been written?
lost1nlove
lost1nlove
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Towno 2/8/2012, 2:30 pm

lost1nlove wrote:I'm thinking pretty heavily about getting lifetime VIP, how has it been updated since this summary has been written?

Merchz.com

It has updated graphs by the minute on every item and gives you margins.
Towno
Towno
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Steetoh 2/8/2012, 11:12 pm

I have been looking through the vip stuff that I get for it and the guides aren't quite working, especially guide #4 in the getting started section. I have doubts to be honest now, to keep going. I also never get talked to in the #SM_Mentor irc, I do not know why I don't get talked too.

Last but not least, it didn't quite work for me joining #SM_VIP irc, I would really like help on my problems.
Steetoh
Steetoh
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by lost1nlove 5/8/2012, 5:16 am

Thanks Towno for answering me so quickly, I have yet another question: If I purchase a month of VIP (just to check it out), is that a one-time payment or recurring payment?

~Lost~
lost1nlove
lost1nlove
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by jfishy 7/8/2012, 7:21 pm

I'm saving up for VIP currently. I really want it.

jfishy
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Snow 8/8/2012, 3:22 pm

lost1nlove wrote:Thanks Towno for answering me so quickly, I have yet another question: If I purchase a month of VIP (just to check it out), is that a one-time payment or recurring payment?

~Lost~

It is a recurring payment, though can be cancelled at any time.
Snow
Snow
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by arkh 14/8/2012, 6:58 am

i wanna buy the vip for rsgp, i wonder if the service is 24/7 or there is an specific open service time

arkh
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cutiechan 27/8/2012, 8:26 pm

Doesn't look bad with all of the benefits hopefully its updated

Cutiechan
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Malarroy 28/8/2012, 1:53 am

Is merchz using bots to update the prices? TBH other than that, I really don't see how the prices can be accurate down to the minute.
Malarroy
Malarroy
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dag 28/10/2012, 6:56 am

Locked upon OP Request Smile
Dag
Dag
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum