Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rare Name Clarification

+4
KMV
DrDeath
Obbyshaggz
Inomonu
8 posters

Go down

Rare Name Clarification Empty Rare Name Clarification

Post by Inomonu 4/9/2012, 8:26 am

Hey, guys. Whilst spending my time in the Name Sale subforum - a market very close to my heart - and I've seen names such as "Phat Maker", and "v1deo" trying to be sold - the latter even having an A/W of 25m!
It's clear to me that quite a few of you don't truly understand what a rare name is, and so just go around making names that have a tie in with RuneScape, or that are slightly misspelled.

So, ok, first one off is "words". And when I say words, I don't mean trawling through a dictionary, and making an account with the longest word you can find (hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - oh the irony), but I mean the base word - the root, if you will. Some people seem to think that this means getting a word and changing it, into the adverb or something - these are still words, don't get me wrong, but none of these can compare to the root word. An example of this would be the root "Smoke" - and then somebody makes a name called "Smokily" and expects it to go to for just as much as "Smoke" would.

Bear in mind though, the one contradiction to this rule is verbs - some people would prefer to have the name "Smoking" than "Smoke", as they believe it has a certain symmetry with their RuneScape accounts, which are always doing something. Bear in mind though, that this doesn't mean that every verb is a rare name - if you've found a verb which you think is rare, just let me know and I'll tell you whether it is or isn't.

The second type of rare name is the type with as few characters as possible. The two character and one character variety. These are the most expensive types due to the rarity of them - in fact, you can no longer make either of them, as every option has been created. I, myself, own a few two character names and receive many offers for my little collection however I'm not selling :p
As I'm sure everyone knows, the rarity of one character names makes them nigh impossible to find, and there is a certain some one - I'm sure somebody will get the pun that I've inserted here - that keeps sniping them every time a transaction takes place, due to having little sniping bots working night and day on minimum wage. But, back on topic. One character names are worth in excess of 2b, at the moment, and so if you ever manage to get your hands on one, I envy you.

Two character names can be equally rare - for example, a two character name comprising of only letters, and having a certain meaning such as "To", or "No" - Cor is a lucky bastard Razz - can be worth almost as much as one character name.

Finally, names that fit into both of these categories are the greatest you will find, and are treasures in the name-selling world. But remember - nobody cares about logins. If you had the login of... let's say "Beer" and then when somebody logged in they saw that their display name was "[#49esvs;lf4959604]" then that would render the username pointless. Sure, logging in with a username such as "Beer" is cool - but who cares when nobody can see it in-game?

So, now to clarify what you should never sell, for fear of looking like an idiot -

1. 3 character names such as "x5e" etc. - the only reason people buy these guys, is because they don't have many different options for impostering, so they're easy to make imposters for and prevent you guys being scammed whilst dicing. They have no value, as there are thousands of different combinations (46656 in total, I believe) so these aren't going to be rare in a long time, if ever. Do us a favour, and don't bother posting them.

2. Accounts with spaces (that aren't multi-spaces) and more than one word - e.g. w1ldy 0wns - I'm sure I don't need to tell you guys why, by now.

3. Noob names in general. Don't say they're rare, please.

Ta-daaaaaaaah, the end.
Inomonu
Inomonu
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Rare Name Clarification Empty Re: Rare Name Clarification

Post by Obbyshaggz 4/9/2012, 9:23 am

It Looks good, about time someone explained this to the public.
+Rep for the effort Razz
Obbyshaggz
Obbyshaggz
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by DrDeath 4/9/2012, 10:10 am

I have to agree with most of what u have here but I also have to say that all names are worth something lol and even odd names can make money if you find the right person that wants it.
As example I like the name zuper as its my ign and I like to make my other toons have names like "Zuper Mom , Zuper Dad" as u see it goes well with Many things Smile so the thing about not posting them to try and not look nooby/stupid !!! How else is anyone to know what names they have for sale and if they could possibly want them :p

Lol + rep tho Smile
DrDeath
DrDeath
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

http://www.da-hang-out.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Inomonu 4/9/2012, 10:14 am

Yeah, of course there are names that will appeal to an indivdiual more than it would appeal to the community - the point of this was so people could know what kind of things would appeal to the community.
Inomonu
Inomonu

Back to top Go down

Post by KMV 4/9/2012, 1:27 pm

You saved me the time of writing this myself thank you Smile

KMV
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Google 4/9/2012, 2:46 pm

http://www.smokinelite.com/t61094-what-really-is-a-rare-name

A fairly old yet still very relevant thread that was buried in the Accounts/Other Games section.
Google
Google
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

https://soundcloud.com/theruse

Back to top Go down

Post by Inomonu 4/9/2012, 2:48 pm

I wasn't aware of this, having not looked in the Accounts section for a long time. However, pricing isn't that accurate.
Inomonu
Inomonu

Back to top Go down

Post by Google 4/9/2012, 2:52 pm

Inomonu wrote:I wasn't aware of this, having not looked in the Accounts section for a long time. However, pricing isn't that accurate.

Aha, I can't blame you, it was on about page 5. Razz

And yeah, I wasn't trying to say this thread had no point, just emphasising that this has been an ongoing issue, people not understanding what is really considered a Rare name.
Google
Google
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

https://soundcloud.com/theruse

Back to top Go down

Post by WagerHost 4/9/2012, 5:32 pm

Stickied yay
WagerHost
WagerHost
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Addy 6/9/2012, 10:51 am

http://www.smokinelite.com/t62534-what-s-a-rare-name-and-what-s-not

This too its a post from sythe and its more detailed but yours is ok +rep ^^
Addy
Addy

Back to top Go down

Post by Inomonu 7/9/2012, 3:43 pm

Addy wrote:http://www.smokinelite.com/t62534-what-s-a-rare-name-and-what-s-not

This too its a post from sythe and its more detailed but yours is ok +rep ^^

Pardon me for not committing plagiarism on some work from a site that encourages botting.
Inomonu
Inomonu

Back to top Go down

Post by jokerman 15/9/2012, 12:59 pm

would eminem be a rare name? XD
jokerman
jokerman
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)