Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MacBook Pro System Memory [Lock]

3 posters

Go down

MacBook Pro System Memory [Lock] Empty MacBook Pro System Memory [Lock]

Post by A Dan 5/12/2012, 10:58 pm

I have a RAM of 4GB. However the most available I can ever get at one time is 2.2GB (this is with no programmes running, or anything else to the best of my knowledge in the background).

As of right now (while on Safari, nothing else) I have:

406MB Inactive
1.13GB Active
730MB Wired
1.76GB Free

Also right now I have around 130 processes running. However I am seeing double on most of them, like "SystemUIServer" running under both the USER "Dan" AND "Mac"

I downloaded an App, memory clean, and it is only able to clean it up to the 2.2GB stated above.

I feel something is running in the background (almost like another user) that I am not aware about.

I have two accounts, both are mine I only use one though. Is that maybe it?

Reps and Respect to the person who can help me on this.

Last edited by A Dan on 6/12/2012, 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
A Dan
A Dan
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

MacBook Pro System Memory [Lock] Empty Re: MacBook Pro System Memory [Lock]

Post by Drakan 5/12/2012, 11:09 pm

Hey A Dan! Very Happy

Did you try restarting your computer? Usually the double processes are one running on another account and your account, and restarting shuts down processes on all accounts, and, Clears any lingering processes opened by the accounts.
Drakan
Drakan
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by A Dan 5/12/2012, 11:20 pm

The system memory had been at this since I got it Drakan. So I am not sure why it was using memory when I was not on the account. Thanks anyway

I just deleted the other user (was not used) and I am now up to 2.9GB free memory! Very Happy
I guess brain storming out ideas is a good Razz

The reps are still up for grabs if someone can tell me how to get the rest (1.1GB) or most.
A Dan
A Dan
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Drakan 5/12/2012, 11:28 pm

A Dan wrote:The system memory had been at this since I got it Drakan. So I am not sure why it was using memory when I was not on the account. Thanks anyway

I just deleted the other user (was not used) and I am now up to 2.9GB free memory! Very Happy

The reps are still up for grabs if someone can tell me how to get the rest (1.1GB) or most.

That's great to hear! But Just to let you know, You will not be able to free upto full 4GB of RAM, to do that your Computer needs to be Shutdown (It will be doing Nothing! (ex. Running no processes, tasks, etc.)), because the RAM isn't just used by programs, it is utilized by background tasks, and, the Operating System itself. So To know how much you can free memory upto, Restart your computer, and end all background tasks, And the amount of RAM usage at that time should be the RAM usage that the OS itself is using.

*Edit : And anything additional to that is, used by other background programs (i.e. Skype, Anti-Virus Software, etc.).

Also, Have you tried cleaning up your registry? CCleaner, is a free and reputable program used to clean internet cache, but also clean the registry! More information regarding it can be found here (Click ME!), That may also help to free up some space, as when you uninstall some programs, they leave some of their registry entries behind, and that can also use a bit RAM, as those entries keep trying to find the host program on the computer while it may not exist on the Computer any longer.
Drakan
Drakan

Back to top Go down

Post by A Dan 6/12/2012, 12:10 pm

Drakan wrote:
A Dan wrote:The system memory had been at this since I got it Drakan. So I am not sure why it was using memory when I was not on the account. Thanks anyway

That's great to hear! But Just to let you know, You will not be able to free upto full 4GB of RAM, to do that your Computer needs to be Shutdown (It will be doing Nothing! (ex. Running no processes, tasks, etc.)), because the RAM isn't just used by programs, it is utilized by background tasks, and, the Operating System itself. So To know how much you can free memory upto, Restart your computer, and end all background tasks, And the amount of RAM usage at that time should be the RAM usage that the OS itself is using.

*Edit : And anything additional to that is, used by other background programs (i.e. Skype, Anti-Virus Software, etc.).

Also, Have you tried cleaning up your registry? CCleaner, is a free and reputable program used to clean internet cache, but also clean the registry! More information regarding it can be found here (Click ME!), That may also help to free up some space, as when you uninstall some programs, they leave some of their registry entries behind, and that can also use a bit RAM, as those entries keep trying to find the host program on the computer while it may not exist on the Computer any longer.

Yep, used CCleaner for years. Best thing ever Smile

Thanks for help Drakan. Repped Smile

Lock requested.
A Dan
A Dan
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Google 6/12/2012, 1:14 pm

Google
Google