Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help a Highschool Student Out knowledge on Vex Robotics PIC or Cortex Coding

2 posters

Go down

Help a Highschool Student Out knowledge on Vex Robotics PIC or Cortex Coding Empty Help a Highschool Student Out knowledge on Vex Robotics PIC or Cortex Coding

Post by Encryption 20/12/2012, 10:22 pm

Currently in Robotics in High school.
In the Vex Team.
Competition in February.
Competing in Sack- Attack which consists of picking up a square sack, and lifting it into a trough.

Equipment and current robot to have a more visual understanding.
http://jaronsportfoli.weebly.com/robotics-vex-team.html

My current problem:
I am the programmer in a team of three and is in need of some technical support.
I've been programming using the autonomous mode, but what I didn't know was, in the competition the autonomous part is only 20 seconds. So my problem right now, is going from autonomous to driver control. I will have a script that runs for 20 seconds, which consists of traveling forward a distance then scooping up a sack then lifting arm into the trough. After that it needs to go to driver control. Another problem is, how do I code / program so I can control the Robot / Module using the controller?

Do I use this?

Code:
task main()
{
  while(1 == 1)
  {
    //Right side of the robot is controlled by the right joystick, Y-axis
    motor[frontRightMotor] = vexRT[Ch2];
    motor[backRightMotor]  = vexRT[Ch2];
    //Left side of the robot is controlled by the left joystick, Y-axis
    motor[frontLeftMotor] = vexRT[Ch3];
    motor[backLeftMotor]  = vexRT[Ch3];
  }
}

And Insert into the "User Control" Script Area

Code:

#pragma platform(VEX)

//Competition Control and Duration Settings
#pragma competitionControl(Competition)
#pragma autonomousDuration(20)
#pragma userControlDuration(120)

#include "Vex_Competition_Includes.c"  //Main competition background code...do not modify!

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//
//                          Pre-Autonomous Functions
//
// You may want to perform some actions before the competition starts. Do them in the
// following function.
//
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

void pre_auton()
{
  // Set bStopTasksBetweenModes to false if you want to keep user created tasks running between
  // Autonomous and Tele-Op modes. You will need to manage all user created tasks if set to false.
  bStopTasksBetweenModes = true;

// All activities that occur before the competition starts
   // Example: clearing encoders, setting servo positions, ...
}

//
//                                Autonomous Task
//
// This task is used to control your robot during the autonomous phase of a VEX Competition.
// You must modify the code to add your own robot specific commands here.
//

task autonomous()
{
  // .....................................................................................
  // Insert user code here.
  // .....................................................................................

AutonomousCodePlaceholderForTesting();  // Remove this function call once you have "real" code.
}

//
//                                User Control Task
//
// This task is used to control your robot during the user control phase of a VEX Competition.
// You must modify the code to add your own robot specific commands here.
//

task usercontrol()
{
   // User control code here, inside the loop

while (true)
   {
     // This is the main execution loop for the user control program. Each time through the loop
     // your program should update motor + servo values based on feedback from the joysticks.

// Insert user code here. This is where you use the joystick values to update your motors, etc.

UserControlCodePlaceholderForTesting(); // Remove this function call once you have "real" code.
   }
}

After I have this program working, I want to add 3 more motors to control using the other buttons on the controller.
Encryption
Encryption
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Help a Highschool Student Out knowledge on Vex Robotics PIC or Cortex Coding Empty Re: Help a Highschool Student Out knowledge on Vex Robotics PIC or Cortex Coding

Post by bs merchants 21/12/2012, 10:53 am

I'm guessing there would be event handlers? I've done some stuff with the LEGO Mindstorms before, similar to this. My guess would be something along the lines of:

Code:
void leftButtonPushed() {
  doSomething();
  motor[left].rotate(90);
  // more code
}
bs merchants
bs merchants
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Help a Highschool Student Out knowledge on Vex Robotics PIC or Cortex Coding Empty Re: Help a Highschool Student Out knowledge on Vex Robotics PIC or Cortex Coding

Post by Encryption 21/12/2012, 9:12 pm

I understand the autonomous and have a code for the automous, my problem is getting the controller to work with the robot...

Let's say my motor setup is

Code:
#pragma config(Motor,  port2,          frontRight,    tmotorServoContinuousRotation, openLoop)
#pragma config(Motor,  port3,          backRight,    tmotorServoContinuousRotation, openLoop, reversed)
#pragma config(Motor,  port4,          frontLeft,    tmotorServoContinuousRotation, openLoop, reversed)
#pragma config(Motor,  port5,          backLeft,      tmotorServoContinuousRotation, openLoop, reversed)

What would the script be to have it working with the controller?
Encryption
Encryption
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by bs merchants 22/12/2012, 7:45 pm

Perhaps try this: http://www.education.rec.ri.cmu.edu/products/teaching_robotc_cortex/engineering_lab/rc_buttons.pdf
bs merchants
bs merchants

Back to top Go down

Post by Encryption 22/12/2012, 8:07 pm

Do you happen to know the link for the PIC instead of the Cortex?
Encryption
Encryption
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by bs merchants 23/12/2012, 10:20 am

Encryption wrote:Do you happen to know the link for the PIC instead of the Cortex?

I'm not quite following the technical terms here, sorry. All I can say is there is quite a bit of stuff on google when I searched for it (other search engines are available).
bs merchants
bs merchants

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down