Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need some help

3 posters

Go down

Need some help Empty Need some help

Post by lgot 1/5/2013, 4:29 am

When I got my laptop it had 4 gigs of ram in it. I upgraded to 8 and had those 2 sticks laying out. One of the four gig sticks broke on my so yesterday I tried to install one of the 2 gig sticks. After that the slightest bump, or the computer being on for more than 10inutes would cause a hard freeze. So I took the stick out. But now I can open programs but once I go to actually use them I get an unresponsive pop up. Then that pop up goes unresponsive. I also cannot open task manager. I have tried reseating the stick about 10 times. Any suggestions?
lgot
lgot
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Need some help Empty Re: Need some help

Post by attk master 1/5/2013, 7:27 am

test the integrity of the memory by using a program. download this program to a disc or usb drive: http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

instructions to run:

Spoiler:

if the memory is bad, replace it. if not then it could be anything software related, not sure what it could be.
attk master
attk master
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by lgot 2/5/2013, 5:30 am

memory is good. i have it to the point where i can use the laptop as long as i don't bump it
lgot
lgot
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by attk master 3/5/2013, 5:17 am

could be the hard drive, when moving the laptop it can cause the hard drive to scratch, corrupting any data on the sector of the disc. to prevent this issue manufacturers made it so when a large amount of movement is detected (by a g-sensor most likely) the disc will be stopped or parked to prevent damage. it could be that when the disc is parked it may not be allowing it to spin again, and is overacting to the amount of force, making it park rather than stop every time. in that case it could be a broken sensor.

if that's not the issue it could be the cpu fan has stopped spinning for whatever reason, if that happens the computer will shut down as the cpu could overheat and there goes $100+ in hardware.

the sensor is most likely the issue, but then again laptop fans are very cheap and are on all the time when the laptop is running so it could be that.
attk master
attk master
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by bs merchants 4/5/2013, 1:12 am

What operating system are you running?
If it is 32 bit it only supports 2^32 addresses of which 3.3Gb are assigned ram, putting larger sticks in will make no difference.
Does your motherboard support 4Gb sticks?

Do you have one 4gb and one 2gb stick in at the same time? Some motherboards require the same sized cards in each slot..
bs merchants
bs merchants
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum