Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The state of the debate section

3 posters

Go down

The state of the debate section Empty The state of the debate section

Post by JIGL0JAY 22/8/2013, 10:14 pm

I'm going to make this simple. As most of the ranks+ know, I'm one of the most prominent posters in the debate section. The last 6 months or so, I've dropped off the forums for the most part only to resurface from time to time in the debate section. That section is slow, and it is difficult to keep a conversation flowing.

However, I've recently noted that threads will get locked for being "gravedug" or even just straight up binned. The idea behind gravedigging is to take a thread that hasn't been posted on (and is usually NO LONGER RELEVANT) and bring it to the top. Gravedigging is a form of trolling, where people might have forgotten a certain topic or issue and drag it out longer than it needed. The debate section is rarely able to be "trolled" in this regard unless it's on the very back page with no posts in a year.

There are 6 topics in the debate section that have posts from this month. 14 from the past 3 months. This is not a lot. The farthest back it goes is March 2nd, nearly 6 months ago. Now, some may think that posting on the thread that's last dated March 2nd may be a gravedig. However I don't think that's the case, considering it is still on the front page.

So there's 2 options that I feel we can go with:
-Overhaul the debate section (either with cleaning all threads out and starting fresh)
-Delete the section entirely

Now, if the debate section is deleted, I'll be disappointed but not entirely surprised. However, I'm posting in relevance to my interests and feel like after many joking posts, I would like to appeal for a position of debate mod. At the very least, give someone who has a vested interest in debates to control the section. Some may say that I wouldn't make a good mod because I would be power hungry and lock threads or delete posts if I don't get my way. To address this, I feel as though it would be very easy to be transparent in this section as not many people post in it to begin with.

At the very least, please check with me on threads to get deleted? I'm tired of seeing threads get binned that I've just posted on recently.
JIGL0JAY
JIGL0JAY
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

http://cliffordthecorrupt.com/

Back to top Go down

The state of the debate section Empty Re: The state of the debate section

Post by Divine 22/8/2013, 10:46 pm

Thanks for posting Jiglo.

You're by far the most dedicated person to the section and I agree that people often misinterpret what a gravedig is and what isn't.
In my eyes if a certain issue is dealt with and then still posted on later on, it's a gravedig, otherwise there can always be more relevant things added.

I think it's a good idea to have them check with you.
Divine
Divine
Administrator
Administrator

http://merchz.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Broeder 22/8/2013, 10:50 pm

Biggest issue with the subforum is you over complicating things IMO, it might give a higher level of debate but far less discussion in general
Broeder
Broeder
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by JIGL0JAY 23/8/2013, 4:35 am

Broeder wrote:Biggest issue with the subforum is you over complicating things IMO, it might give a higher level of debate but far less discussion in general
What would you mean by over complicating? By being somewhat pedantic and over critical? I suppose that presents a third option: Political discussion (or something similar?) whereas the debate aspect could remain, but the idea could be much more broad.
JIGL0JAY
JIGL0JAY
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Broeder 23/8/2013, 8:16 pm

I mean all this:
Spoiler:

A discussion doesnt have to be moderated by you, and if it must then you cant join in the discussion because people will feel judged in how they say it as well as in what they say and thus not post.

There was a lot more discussion when the topics just started with:
What do you think about the existence of god?
Broeder
Broeder
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by JIGL0JAY 24/8/2013, 7:30 am

Broeder wrote:A discussion doesnt have to be moderated by you, and if it must then you cant join in the discussion because people will feel judged in how they say it as well as in what they say and thus not post.

There was a lot more discussion when the topics just started with:
What do you think about the existence of god?
So you would say that if I were to post in the thread, I should keep it purely on a discussion level as you said rather than structured? I would bend and say you're right.

I suppose I should change my topics to "opinions on x" rather than an open ended discussion, then. Or even just leave the open ended ones to other posters. And, if I do post, simply post an opinion and not post against anyone else?

If this is what you mean, I'll push for that. On the one condition that the "prove my existence" thread remains. Laughing 
JIGL0JAY
JIGL0JAY
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down