Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ula's bulk flipping guide f

3 posters

Go down

Ula's bulk flipping guide f Empty Ula's bulk flipping guide f

Post by maximbolduc 28/12/2013, 1:03 pm

Heya guys, this is my flipping guide for beginners. Be indulgent on my English level, I'm french.

Flipping guide from nothing to about 100m

'''Flipping''' is the art of trading items for a profit, usually in a short lapse of time. Some players consider it difficult, but in actuality it's simply technique and logic. Once you know the basics, making a profit off of the grand-exchange can be very fast and easy. Flipping/merching doesn't require a ridiculous amount of money to start, though the profit is in proportion to the money you initially invest. In other words, the more you invest, the more you can expect to make in return.
This flipping guide cover the way we flip to about 100-150m, after that, the method change a little bit since people prefer doing low limit items with bigger margins instead of bulk flipping as shown in the guide.
This guide will be divided into the following categories:

1. Finding an item to merch.
  2. Buy limits and G-E basics.
  3. Price check and placing your buy offer.
  4. Using your money wisely.
  5. Tips and tricks.

1. Finding an item to merch.

This is the easy part when you know the general kinds of items to look for. A lot of players would say to watch the G-E graphs, but since flipping typically happens within the 4-hour buy limit time frame (which I'll explain more on later), I suggest looking at the "most-traded" list instead of the graphs. This list can be found on the Runescape website in the grand-exchange section. Why look here, you may ask? The ease of your flip depends on how often players buy/sell that item. After you've found a well-traded item, take a look at the buy limit of that item.
Since this guide's goal isn't to give away items, but to teach you how to find them, I won't do a list of the items I suggest you flip. But here are good secure categories to start with:

• Grimy and clean herbs.
  • Summoning pouches.
  • Bones. - Bars.
  • Potions.

With these categories in mind, everyone can make an easy start with their flipping.

2. Buy limits and G-E basics
The Grand-Exchange, often referred to as the G-E, is the direct site of just about any merching. There are, however, a couple things you need to know in order to maximize the profits you can earn from your flips.
First of all, all items have a margin at which they will buy/sell. I'll show you how to find this margin in detail at a later point. The margin is determined by the price people are willing to pay to get the item as fast as they can, and the price people are willing to sell at in order to sell their items faster. These two prices are the two main tools you will need as a flipper. These are the buy and sell prices, which can be easily changed throughout the day and even in-between grand exchange price updates.
The second main point to keep in mind is the four-hour buy limit. These limits are a method Jagex found to limit variation of prices, inflation, and the way merch clans/single merchers were able to make an item drop drastically or rise far above its usual price. They are divided into the following categories:

• Clean and grimy herbs: 10k
  • Raw fish: 20k
  • Cooked fish: 10k
  • Runes: 25k
  • Rares: 2
  • Pouches: 5k
  • Potions: 1k
  • Bones: 10k
  • frost and wyvern bones 1k
  • Dragonhide  and leather : 10k
  • Bolts and arrow: 25k
  • Logs: 25k
  • Cannonball and bars: 10k
  • Planks: 10k
  • Armour sets (Barrow, dragon, vesta, etc): 10
  • Jewelry: 5k

These are the main categories for buying/selling while flipping. The buy limit means that you can only buy that amount of an item every 4 hours, but you can sell as many as you want.

3. Price check and placing your buy offer.

Price check is the method used to find the lower and the higher price of an item as I said earlier. In order to do that, we have to buy 1 of this item for a lot more than middle price (25%-100% more) then note the price it buys for, then sell this single item for way less than its value (25%-100% under what it’s worth) then note once again the price it sold for. I know this step generate little lost, but it’s in order to profit more later on.

Ula's bulk flipping guide f Show_p10

So if I buy the max amount of this item, which can take some times to buy, I shall make 405 each which mean 4.5m profit.
Once you have set the high and the low price for that item, just place a buy offer with a big quantity of it for the lowest price, then, when it bought, sell back for the high price you found. Item may stop buying or selling at a moment, this mean that someone over/undercutted your price. So his offer is a little higher, or lower than yours which means he will get the sell, or the item before you do. In order to prevent lost, I suggest redoing a price check if that occurs, and then replace your offer with the new prices. Another option is to hop to another item. But, with patience, the price will get back to what you found once the offer of that guy is done buying or selling.

Make sure you verify that your price is correct before selling, or buying. I can’t say how many times I’ve gave away my flip items because I hadn’t enter the right amount…

4. Using your money wisely.

Investing all in the same item isn’t bright, even if you think you found the best one. It’s always better to do many items at a time. Why? To prevent potential lost or crashes on items. Having certain stability come from the amount of items that you flip. For that reason, I suggest you build yourself a list of items that use about 1/3 of your money when you flip them. Note that you are not obligated to flip the maximum amount of an item. This allows you to pick in your list an item which you know work well faster than when searching one.
Ex for a 15m stack

1.5k d bones---total invest +-7.5m
1.5k clean avantoe --- total invest +- 7.5m
1.5k grimy avantoe --- total invest +-7.5m

Another good thing is to always note what you do to have a list of your real profit, and on the long run, which items works well. You can do this on a pad, or using the method I will show in the tips and tricks section of this guide.

5. Tips and tricks.
There are a couple tricks that might be used to make it easier. First of all, I suggest you take notes and keep a sheet with the merch you do. That way, when you’re in lack of items/imagination to find stuff to merch, you can just go see you history from a couple days back.
Here is a suggestion of spreadsheet I built over excel:

Ula's bulk flipping guide f Showin10

A little knowledge in excel might be needed to build an automatized one, but it's kinda basic.

Posting it on these forums can also be good for this part.

Something else I suggest to keep you informed of upcoming events. When you see a combat health points change, it’s pretty much sure that food will rise in price. That mean the margin will be higher than usually because a lot of people will want to buy them.  So with a lot of new in game content come repercussions on some items. But as I previously said, it’s not a must, just something useful to maximize your profit and speculate on which items to avoid, and which items to flip.

As suggested within the comments, some people prefer buying for a little higher and selling for a little lower than the price they find. But this method as either way it's good and bad consequences:

Good:
  • you get the item a little faster
  • it's more active and less boring

bad:
  • you make a little less profit every item you flip
  • undercutters/overcutters remark you are breaching their prices so they will re-price check and break your prices again (frequent issue I had)

It’s all you need to start your flipping experience and get your stack up. Flipping isn’t hard as this guide presents it, although a good organisation and logic is needed to really get good profits.

I hope this guide helped you. For any questions just pm me on game: wizzardula , or reply on here.

Ula

Last edited by maximbolduc on 28/12/2013, 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

maximbolduc
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Ula's bulk flipping guide f Empty Re: Ula's bulk flipping guide f

Post by maximbolduc 28/12/2013, 1:07 pm

I'll be making a youtube video in the near future, and continue my guide series with short term, etc.

maximbolduc
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Yamiteh 28/12/2013, 2:00 pm

You actually exapleind basic flipping pretty nicely here Smile +rep
Few things you might wanna change add though:
Frost dragon bones/wyvern bones have a limit of 1k.
Grimy and clean herbs have a limit of 10.
I think that when flipping you should buy item for 1 gp above your low price and sell for 1 gp below sell price. You get items faster and reduce profit minimally.
Nice spreadsheet though :p I am too lazy for it myself lol.

Yamiteh
Yamiteh
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

http://www.smokinelite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maximbolduc 28/12/2013, 2:04 pm

Yamiteh wrote:You actually exapleind basic flipping pretty nicely here Smile+rep
Few things you might wanna change add though:
Frost dragon bones/wyvern bones have a limit of 1k.
Grimy and clean herbs have a limit of 10.
I think that when flipping you should buy  item for 1 gp above your low price and sell for 1 gp below sell price. You get items faster and reduce profit minimally.
Nice spreadsheet though :p I am too lazy for it myself lol.

For the herb buy limit it was a typing mistake, correcting it right now Wink

For the rest, I'll change it according to your suggestion, after all, it's always good to have other feedback, that's what makes it good.

I can put a download link of the spreadsheet so everyone could use it.

Thanks for your feedback.

maximbolduc
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by gonecase 29/12/2013, 2:15 pm

nice guide maximbolduc well explained. nice idea with the excel sheet. Also as a help for flipping low limit items like rares, sof items, nex and gwd items there are fc's that give out prices for the same.

Friend chats:
r quark = rares
pc 101/flipchat1 = gwd items (bandos,arma,subjugation,sara necklaces, robin hood hat, ranger boots)
90 weapspc = drygores, ascensions, seismics
90 gear pc = malevolent, sirenic, tectonic (90 lvl armors)
sof rares/pc sof = squeel of fortune rares.

Also like yamiteh said you would want to overcut/undercut the pc by 1-2 gp for quicker buys/sells.
gonecase
gonecase
Forum Addict (750 posts)
Forum Addict (750 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by gonecase 29/12/2013, 2:16 pm

Also + repped for a nice guide Smile. Good work keep it up. And if you need help feel free to ask for it Smile
gonecase
gonecase
Forum Addict (750 posts)
Forum Addict (750 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by maximbolduc 29/12/2013, 2:28 pm

gonecase wrote:Also + repped for a nice guide Smile. Good work keep it up. And if you need help feel free to ask for it Smile

Thanks a lot for the positive feedback Wink

I havn't posted the low limit items because this is my Bulk Flipping guide. But the next one will cover these low limits items aswell as short term invest. I don't know when I'll have time to write it, but I'll do my best to do it as soon as possible.

The only help I might need is for someone to speek on my videos. As I said, I'm french so I don't think it'd be clear enought if I talk...

Maximbolduc

maximbolduc
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down