Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Merchanting shards?

2 posters

Go down

Merchanting shards? Empty Merchanting shards?

Post by Forrest G 21/1/2014, 2:14 am

Hello,
I was wondering if it's possible to buy any type of shards dropped now, combine 120 of them, and sell them to make a profit? Someone was telling me about this earlier and they made a lot of money from it.
Thanks!

Forrest G
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Merchanting shards? Empty Re: Merchanting shards?

Post by Phileep 21/1/2014, 3:07 am

It is indeed possible- if you look a few pages back on my merchz log you'll see several seismic singularity flips where I bought shards and converted to the sing then sold.

The shards tend to lag behind the actual items price, meaning that if "yesterday" a sing was 450b then "today" it was 475b the shards would be more likely to be priced around 450 than around 475. In other words, it works best when an item increases in value very rapidly.

The problem with this is that:
1) There are a lot of overcutters; many merchants have the same idea, unfortunately.
2) The shards can be low volume and you can lose a lot of money pointlessly trying to get the margins.
3) If something happens where the item is crashing and you're stuck with an odd number of shards, it can be tougher to dump them.

Overall I believe it is a very good flip idea, but it should be used sparingly, only when the market is correct for it.  Cool

Edit: I dug up an example for you in the spoiler below. Here I bought the shards a few days after seismics crashed when nex was updated to pray mage. The sing had been very low for the past few days and then rebounded suddenly. The shards lagged behind and I profited ~25m

Spoiler:
Phileep
Phileep
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Forrest G 21/1/2014, 3:51 am

Thank you very much!

Forrest G
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down