Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~~ v<^> Builds <^>v ~~

4 posters

Go down

~~ v<^> Builds <^>v ~~ Empty ~~ v<^> Builds <^>v ~~

Post by Gecko 3/9/2014, 1:25 pm

So everyone loves builds, I have my own (I'll post it as an example) You don't have to follow this, but it makes for a easier to read, and more comprehensive look a your computer. And please post pictures, I am probably most everyone else are more interested in the looks and specs rather than a crazy name XD.

Code:
CPU Brand/Model/Clock Speed(Normal/Overclocked):
Chip Set Brand/Model:
GPU/Graphics Card Brand/Model/Speed(Normal/Overclocked):
VRAM:
HDD/SDD Brand/Model/Speed(Read/Write Speed):
Power Supply Wattage/Modular(or not)/ATX(any other?):
CPU Cooling Brand/Liquid(or Air)/Type of Thermal Paste:
MotherBoard Brand/Size/CPU socket type:
RAM Brand/Amount/Speed(Normal/Overclocked:
Case Size/Cooling/Supporting Features:
Monitors Size/Quality/How many:
Input Keyboard/Mouse:
Output Audio:

Any Other Features You Wish To Point Out:

Will Post example when I get a few more minutes of time.
Gecko
Gecko
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

~~ v<^> Builds <^>v ~~ Empty Re: ~~ v<^> Builds <^>v ~~

Post by Dual_Shock 3/9/2014, 2:47 pm

CPU Brand/Model/Clock Speed(Normal/Overclocked): AMD FX8320 Stock 3.5Ghz, Overclocked to 4.6Ghz
Chip Set Brand/Model: AMD 990FX
GPU/Graphics Card Brand/Model/Speed(Normal/Overclocked): MSI RADEON R9 280X 1.02Ghz Stock
VRAM: 3GB
HDD/SDD Brand/Model/Speed(Read/Write Speed): OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD (525Mbs Read / 500 Mbs Write) / WD Blue 500GB 7200RPM
Power Supply Wattage/Modular(or not)/ATX(any other?): Corsair CX750M  - 750Watt (Modular)
CPU Cooling Brand/Liquid(or Air)/Type of Thermal Paste: Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler (240MM Rad) / Cheap Insignia Branded Thermal Paste
MotherBoard Brand/Size/CPU socket type: Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 ATX AM3+ Socket
RAM Brand/Amount/Speed(Normal/Overclocked): Kingston HyperX Blu 2x4GB 1600Mhz (OC'd latencies to 9-9-9-24)
Case Size/Cooling/Supporting Features: HAF 912 Mid Tower, Front Panel USB 3.0, Storm Enforcer Side Panel, 2x 120MM intake, 4x 120MM exhaust (including 3x 120MM on the Rad)
Monitors Size/Quality/How many: 2x Asus 21.5in 1920x1080 (VH series)
Input Keyboard/Mouse: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) / Corsair M65 mouse
Output Audio: Logitech G930 primarily Astro A50s, or when I feel like it, 5.1Ch Onkyo Surround Sound

Any Other Features You Wish To Point Out: Custom Sleeved Wires / + 51in Samsung 1080p Plasma if I want to watch a movie or something

Pics:

Last edited by Dual_Shock on 17/9/2014, 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Dual_Shock
Dual_Shock
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gecko 3/9/2014, 3:33 pm

Spoiler:

That is exactly how I was hoping it would look! Mind if I steal the color scheme? Also are you happy with your motherboard? I was actually considering the exact same model, but wasn't sure if the built in audio was where I want it to be. As well with pretty much all your Corsair hardware, I had read quite a few good things and quite a few bad things about the quality of Corsair products.
Gecko
Gecko
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dual_Shock 3/9/2014, 8:55 pm

Gecko wrote:
Spoiler:

That is exactly how I was hoping it would look! Mind if I steal the color scheme? Also are you happy with your motherboard? I was actually considering the exact same model, but wasn't sure if the built in audio was where I want it to be. As well with pretty much all your Corsair hardware, I had read quite a few good things and quite a few bad things about the quality of Corsair products.

Of the selection I've made, I think the M5A99FX was a good buy. It does a bit more than I need, but oh well, it wasn't much more than the M5A97. As for the Corsair products, I love them. I think they make superior products in terms of other brands, and I'm actually looking into more stuff from them, specifically their 760T Full Tower Case. The only thing I really want to change, however, is my SSD. It's a first generation SSD with a bad controller. The read on it benchmarks at like 80MB/s, as compared to the avertised 500MB/s.. so..
Dual_Shock
Dual_Shock

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhaps 4/9/2014, 8:27 pm

Tomorrow I'll post my cost efficient hardware that I stuck in a 10 year old box to which I lost the side panel years ago. Tends to get a bit dusty. Kinda want to give it a better home but not before I secure a scholarship.
Inhaps
Inhaps
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gecko 5/9/2014, 1:55 pm

I'll post my build on this post a little later today, had already typed and and clicked send... then realized I wasn't connected to the internet and lost all the work. A bit demotivating, but meh.
Gecko
Gecko
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by kalio 17/9/2014, 1:14 am

I'm doing my first build, how does it look? This is not primarily a gaming rig, so that's why I went with the i7, 16GB RAM instead of 8GB, and no SSD. Also NVIDIA over AMD because AMD's Linux drivers suck.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yBQBFT
kalio
kalio
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gecko 17/9/2014, 2:10 am

I really like what you have going there Very Happy, One thing though, don't forget thermal compound. There is usually stock brand on the water cooling, but buying something like Arctic MX-4 tends to work a lot better. Do you have a screen and stuff like keyboard picked out?
Gecko
Gecko
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dual_Shock 17/9/2014, 3:00 am

Dual_Shock wrote:Output Audio: Logitech G930 primarily Astro A50s, or when I feel like it, 5.1Ch Onkyo Surround Sound
Updated
Dual_Shock
Dual_Shock

Back to top Go down

Post by Gecko 17/9/2014, 4:16 am

Dual_Shock wrote:
Dual_Shock wrote:Output Audio: Logitech G930 primarily Astro A50s, or when I feel like it, 5.1Ch Onkyo Surround Sound
Updated

On that, I will get my build actually up tomorrow. After building my robots.
Gecko
Gecko
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by kalio 17/9/2014, 4:29 am

Gecko wrote:I really like what you have going there Very Happy, One thing though, don't forget thermal compound. There is usually stock brand on the water cooling, but buying something like Arctic MX-4 tends to work a lot better. Do you have a screen and stuff like keyboard picked out?

Thanks. Smile I have some thermal compound already, I believe it's Arctic Silver 5 (have to find it in my room). And yes, I already have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I've been looking at the mechanical keyboards but probably not going to get one just yet.
kalio
kalio
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gecko 20/10/2014, 1:28 pm

I gave myself a pretty decent budget here, $1500 and I want to be able to upgrade for a long time.

CPU Brand/Model/Clock Speed(Normal/Overclocked): Intel / 5820k / 3GHz Norm 4.2GHz OC
Chip Set Brand/Model:Intel X99
GPU/Graphics Card Brand/Model/Speed(Normal/Overclocked): MSI Radeon R9 270
VRAM: 2GBs
HDD/SDD Brand/Model/Speed(Read/Write Speed): Intel 530 SSD 120Gbs / 540Mbs Read, 490 Write
Power Supply Wattage/Modular(or not)/ATX(any other?): 1000 W RoseWill Bronze
CPU Cooling Brand/Liquid(or Air)/Type of Thermal Paste: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 / GELID GC Extreme
MotherBoard Brand/Size/CPU socket type: MSI X99s SLI / ATX / 2011-V3 LGA
RAM Brand/Amount/Speed(Normal/Overclocked): Crucial Ballistix / 16GBs / 2400, 2600(OC)
Case Size/Cooling/Supporting Features: RoseWill Challenger / Front 120mm, Top 140mm, Back 120mm Fans
Monitors Size/Quality/How many: Just using my small tv, Working on a 4k monitor, thought I saw a really good one, but has a problem with only running 30Hz when in 4k mode.
Input Keyboard/Mouse: Cheap $15
Output Audio: ^

Any Other Features You Wish To Point Out: Well it is looks pretty sexy.
Gecko
Gecko
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by kalio 20/10/2014, 5:14 pm

Looks like a beast!

If you're going to be using Linux, keep in mind that AMD's drivers are currently sub-par. They are improving, but NVIDIA's proprietary driver is superior for right now. AMD's drivers are good enough for general use and 2D but game performance may not be great. If you are going to have Windows for gaming this may not be an issue, but something to consider.

Reviews on that power supply seem to indicate that the cables are short and that it is only semi-modular. I'd look into that further. I got an EVGA 850W G2 Gold and it's perfect. Corsair also makes great power supplies from what I read.

RAM looks great, make sure it's DDR4 though.

OS support (edit: in terms of scaling) for high DPI displays like 4k is iffy right now. I'd look into that if you are going to get a 4k monitor.

I really like that build though, can't wait to see the finished product.
kalio
kalio
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down