Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New topic because I have more questions/points so we need a new topic apparently for that

+12
Aezure
Daxaal
Connor
STD PT
[ADMIN] Adrijana
Cille
Music
Kelly
Gildarts
MerchTilIDie
JIGL0JAY
Broeder
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New topic because I have more questions/points so we need a new topic apparently for that Empty New topic because I have more questions/points so we need a new topic apparently for that

Post by Broeder 6/10/2014, 6:34 am

Kelly wrote:Hi,

Seeing as you and Jiggalo both like to make topics rather than use the private message function (which is quite effective, and evident as to who leads this project based on who posts the topics…), let me clarify something, just because the weekly debate is passed does not mean it cannot be posted on. Is the thread locked? No, so you can still post on older debates.

The weekly debate is something to gouge people's interest. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it does. The forums overall are not skyrocketing with activity, ergo it isn't really surprising that this section isn't booming either. If people want to debate, discuss, discover, that's awesome. If not, then so be it.

Stop trying to fight everything tooth and nail or hate on it, please. It's seriously tiring. I get you and Jig aren't a fan of the way debate works now, it's very apparent, but seeing as the section is getting some support as opposed to getting none before it was ultimately decided to be revived by Frekwency, it's a step in a positive direction. Embrace the change, man.

Thanks. Topic locked since I pretty much answered your original question/statement/point of thread.

1. I make topics to create discussion, which should be possible especially in a discussion based subforum. I do this because i do not believe to be right, only that my opinion could spark a discussion which might improve the situation. Even if you lead this project, you dont do it alone and you do it for other members so a private message would be a weird way of communicating.

2. By you labeling discussions as passed, you make them less accessible. Also, what does labeling topics as passed even mean in a subforum where every topic gets less than 1 page of replies. Does that mean that everything that could have been said has been said? Or just that you cant think of a way to spark that discussion?

3. I realize the general activity is bad as it is, but thats not relevant to how you (should) run a subforum.

4. Again, im not fighting you on anything. Im just voicing my opinion which, if 8 reps can be considered a metric for agreement (not sure on that but its one of the only ones we have available), might be shared by more people. Too bad you dont allow those people to post in my topic though.

5.  Are you satisfied with the quality of the activity? Or are you just looking at ways of getting activity in this subforum?

6. You didnt "pretty much answered my original question/statement/point of thread" and you wont do that in this topic either so please dont lock this topic (or archive it for that matter).

edit: Jig could you explain your statement? I dont quite know how /pol/ works so didnt get your comparison Smile
Broeder
Broeder
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

New topic because I have more questions/points so we need a new topic apparently for that Empty Re: New topic because I have more questions/points so we need a new topic apparently for that

Post by JIGL0JAY 6/10/2014, 7:01 am

Firstly: Inb4 "Jig you don't even post here anymore you don't get to say anything"

Second: I also have to raise a question of seeing threads marked as "Passed". Implying that the threads are now "over".

Thirdly: /pol/ is "Politically Incorrect". It is basically where 4chan's /b/ comes to post politics. You are about as coherent in this section as /pol/ is in the political sphere, which is to say that you are sometimes hilarious but often times very random. Only difference is you're not extremely racist all the time. But that could change, who knows.
JIGL0JAY
JIGL0JAY
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

http://cliffordthecorrupt.com/

Back to top Go down

New topic because I have more questions/points so we need a new topic apparently for that Empty Re: New topic because I have more questions/points so we need a new topic apparently for that

Post by MerchTilIDie 6/10/2014, 2:29 pm

Jig you don't even post here anymore you don't get to say anything
MerchTilIDie
MerchTilIDie
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gildarts 6/10/2014, 2:56 pm

Broeder wrote:
1. I make topics to create discussion, which should be possible especially in a discussion based subforum. I do this because i do not believe to be right, only that my opinion could spark a discussion which might improve the situation. Even if you lead this project, you dont do it alone and you do it for other members so a private message would be a weird way of communicating.

- A private message would be a lot better than posting on forum to get it answered then locked. FYI shes not the only leader of this project

2. By you labeling discussions as passed, you make them less accessible. Also, what does labeling topics as passed even mean in a subforum where every topic gets less than 1 page of replies. Does that mean that everything that could have been said has been said? Or just that you cant think of a way to spark that discussion?

-- I don't think you understand the term "WEEKLY" it means the 7 calendar days from the point a topic is posted to the point in which it has "PASSED".
I has NOTHING to do with X amount of replies on it it is simply because people were not interested in posting we have nothing against someone that posts on one that has passed (within forum rules).

3. I realize the general activity is bad as it is, but thats not relevant to how you (should) run a subforum.

- Oke seeing as you are all knowing in how it "SHOULD" be running, why not post a suggestion on the sticky?
- General activity is low and it is directly effecting a less popular section i do not see what we as PLs have done wrong in terms of activity.

4. Again, im not fighting you on anything. Im just voicing my opinion which, if 8 reps can be considered a metric for agreement (not sure on that but its one of the only ones we have available), might be shared by more people. Too bad you dont allow those people to post in my topic though.

- leave this for Kelly  

5.  Are you satisfied with the quality of the activity? Or are you just looking at ways of getting activity in this subforum?

- Ofcourse we are not satisfied with the overall activity. However we are looking a different ways to make it appeal to more people and get some advertising going.

6. You didnt "pretty much answered my original question/statement/point of thread" and you wont do that in this topic either so please dont lock this topic (or archive it for that matter).

- Leave this one as well (to Kelly)

edit: Jig could you explain your statement? I dont quite know how /pol/ works so didnt get your comparison Smile

Once Kelly has replied the bit i left out i will lock this. Enjoy
Gildarts
Gildarts
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly 6/10/2014, 3:50 pm

This thread is for suggestions, or alternatively you could send a PM since it's a project that Kid and I co-lead, so we'll of course fill one another in on stuff. You bring a valid point on the "PASSED" and "ACTIVE" topics, so we'll fix that accordingly. But for future reference, please use the thread I linked or use PM when making suggestions, it'll be less hectic.

Thanks.
Kelly
Kelly
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Broeder 6/10/2014, 4:25 pm

Gildarts wrote:
Broeder wrote:

- A private message would be a lot better than posting on forum to get it answered then locked. FYI shes not the only leader of this project

-- I don't think you understand the term "WEEKLY" it means the 7 calendar days from the point a topic is posted to the point in which it has "PASSED".
I has NOTHING to do with X amount of replies on it it is simply because people were not interested in posting we have nothing against someone that posts on one that has passed (within forum rules).

- Oke seeing as you are all knowing in how it "SHOULD" be running, why not post a suggestion on the sticky?
- General activity is low and it is directly effecting a less popular section i do not see what we as PLs have done wrong in terms of activity.

- leave this for Kelly  

- Ofcourse we are not satisfied with the overall activity. However we are looking a different ways to make it appeal to more people and get some advertising going.

- Leave this one as well (to Kelly)

Once Kelly has replied the bit i left out i will lock this. Enjoy

You completely misread half my post...
1. Thats exactly what im saying and why a topic is better than a pm
2. I never said anything about x posts or whatever, nor does it matter what you call it. It matters what you try to accomplish with those topics which right now seems to be no more than expect 1 or 2 people to state their superficial opinion and leave it at that.
3-5. Im not saying anything about the amount of activity, im saying that the posts that do get made dont actually spark discussion it seems. Be it either by your opening posts or peoples responses. Now that either means that those posts arent good enough or that theres just not enough people who want this to happen (relatively speaking to the overall activity, not looking at an absolute number).
3. Also, I never think im all knowing im just up for a good discussion where people to get to voice their real opinions. I feel its more beneficial to a constructive environment. Fight me on any of my points, but come with good arguments, and I will just like you more because of it.

@Kelly: I dont see how this is hectic Smile, it only gets read by like 5 people anyway. I havent had this much fun on these forums in a while, kinda like what this subforum would be if we actually have enough of a reason to still have this subforum

Edit: @merchtillidie: Why not? In what world would a person not be allowed to voice his opinion? Its not like he has a direct say in anything, so i dont see how that reason applies

Edit2: Could the person who downvoted me please tell me why he/she did so? I dont feel I deserve a downvote since all I did was discuss points and ask for replies. I never attacked anyone or purposely tried to offend anyone Smile Thanks
Broeder
Broeder
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Music 6/10/2014, 5:47 pm

Locking a thread without the topic actually being resolved just leads to more "hectic" posts. Just my $0.02.
Music
Music
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cille 6/10/2014, 6:05 pm

I agree with Music and Broeder.

@Broeder, I think Kelly feels pm is easier because she won't have to answer to you in public so people can see her getting all defensive over nothing.
You bring up a lot of interesting points and I'd really like to see them getting answered by the people leading this 'project' or whatever they call it.

Cille
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by [ADMIN] Adrijana 6/10/2014, 7:21 pm

Cille wrote:I agree with Music and Broeder.

@Broeder, I think Kelly feels pm is easier because she won't have to answer to you in public so people can see her getting all defensive over nothing.
You bring up a lot of interesting points and I'd really like to see them getting answered by the people leading this 'project' or whatever they call it.

@Cille Making an assumption why someone prefers a PM and being so crude about it is not a debate but a personal poke at someone. Please debate facts you may know and avoid opinions based on pure assumption. I'm sure you've heard the term "Assumptions make an ass out you and me" Razz

For example: Me making the assumption that you posted here on this thread to instigate a personal attack, while no other posts in this section are made by you on the whole 1st page, would make me an ass. Assumptions don't have a place in communication. Just my $0.02 Razz

Secondly after reading all this, there are some good points brought on by Broeder that I think Kid and Kelly did respond to well. Kelly agreed that how they move from old threads to new can be adjusted and after going thru the section I agree with Broeder's point on it. I should personally be more involved in the section but sometimes more important things do come up.

Activity can pick up and I will be the first to say that I am not overly active in this section as are not many of you. It is a section that has had its ups and its downs many many times in the history of SM and will probably continue to. Many sections are like this. The Suggestion Sticky was made so those leading this section can get help to improve it because we are not all knowing.. we make mistakes. That's why the thread is there.

All your questions Broeder, have a point but can be expressed in a more productive way. Instead of criticizing work, lets actually give suggestions or input to improve it. Criticizing may come off as slightly aggressive (can't think of another word... so excuse the harshness that may come off) so the party on the receiving end can feel defensive.

P.S. As usual... JIGL0JAY I have no clue what you are saying at all Razz
[ADMIN] Adrijana
[ADMIN] Adrijana
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by MerchTilIDie 6/10/2014, 7:51 pm

Broeder wrote:
Edit: @merchtillidie: Why not? In what world would a person not be allowed to voice his opinion? Its not like he has a direct say in anything, so i dont see how that reason applies

I was simply fucking with him because he called inb4 and I wanted to capsize on it. Anyone and everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I for one love hearing what everyone thinks about topics
MerchTilIDie
MerchTilIDie
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gildarts 6/10/2014, 8:47 pm

Broeder wrote:
You completely misread half my post...
1. Thats exactly what im saying and why a topic is better than a pm
2. I never said anything about x posts or whatever, nor does it matter what you call it. It matters what you try to accomplish with those topics which right now seems to be no more than expect 1 or 2 people to state their superficial opinion and leave it at that.

: http://www.smokinelite.com/t82078-weekly-debate-discussion-topic-suggestion

3-5. Im not saying anything about the amount of activity, im saying that the posts that do get made dont actually spark discussion it seems. Be it either by your opening posts or peoples responses. Now that either means that those posts arent good enough or that theres just not enough people who want this to happen (relatively speaking to the overall activity, not looking at an absolute number).

: http://www.smokinelite.com/t82076-we-want-your-feedback
: http://www.smokinelite.com/t82078-weekly-debate-discussion-topic-suggestion

People are allowed to post on their own accords as well as suggest a weekly topic, no? i don't get it if our Topics don't spark discussion and you see this why not suggest topics? or Post some they you feel will. This thread just seems to be focusing on Criticizing instead of "making a discussion" (inb4 you say it)

3. Also, I never think im all knowing im just up for a good discussion where people to get to voice their real opinions. I feel its more beneficial to a constructive environment. Fight me on any of my points, but come with good arguments, and I will just like you more because of it.
im with u here.

Gildarts
Gildarts

Back to top Go down

Post by Cille 6/10/2014, 8:52 pm

[ADMIN] Adrijana wrote:

@Cille Making an assumption why someone prefers a PM and being so crude about it is not a debate but a personal poke at someone. Please debate facts you may know and avoid opinions based on pure assumption. I'm sure you've heard the term "Assumptions make an ass out you and me" Razz

For example: Me making the assumption that you posted here on this thread to instigate a personal attack, while no other posts in this section are made by you on the whole 1st page, would make me an ass. Assumptions don't have a place in communication. Just my $0.02 Razz

Secondly after reading all this, there are some good points brought on by Broeder that I think Kid and Kelly did respond to well. Kelly agreed that how they move from old threads to new can be adjusted and after going thru the section I agree with Broeder's point on it. I should personally be more involved in the section but sometimes more important things do come up.

I have no problem with you assuming, be my guest Smile
I posted here because I found it interesting, nothing else on these forums has caught my eye so no need for me to post on it.
I'm not trying to attack Kelly, it's just as much Kid who I think is getting defensive over nothing. And last time I checked I was allowed to post my opinion, and so I will Smile

Cille
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by [ADMIN] Adrijana 6/10/2014, 8:56 pm

Cille wrote:
[ADMIN] Adrijana wrote:

I posted here because I found it interesting, nothing else on these forums has caught my eye so no need for me to post on it.
I'm not trying to attack Kelly, it's just as much Kid who I think is getting defensive over nothing. And last time I checked I was allowed to post my opinion, and so I will Smile

An opinion is absolutely appreciated if it is an opinion.

Opinion means: a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

Assumption means: belief without proof: the belief that something is true without having any proof

And my apologies for not assuming you included Kid in your statement when his name wasn't included.

[ADMIN] Adrijana
[ADMIN] Adrijana
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Gildarts 6/10/2014, 9:05 pm

Cille wrote:

Didn't know you included me but, the reason for me being "Defensive" comes under 2 outcomes, by style of replying to certain things is different to what you believe is not "defensive" or that i've spent time along with Kelly and Pira trying to liven this area of the forums up and maybe just maybe i rather take a suggestion than a whole thread with someone's critique on it?

I dono you decide.
Gildarts
Gildarts

Back to top Go down

Post by STD PT 7/10/2014, 2:45 am

New topic because I have more questions/points so we need a new topic apparently for that Giphy

Ignore Wiki please

- Just my $0.02 -
STD PT
STD PT

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor 7/10/2014, 2:49 am

I think you all need to chill.

Let broeder and Jiglo do what they want, which is making debate posts. We all know those two are like 50% of the users who visit this section that are non-ranked. You guys don't need to be so orderly about everything. I said it before and I'll say it again; I think you guys are trying wayyyy too hard for a section that hardly has any activity. Not everything needs to be ruled with an iron fist. It's one section that a few people post in, how about listening to them and working towards their needs, instead of getting defensive over everything.

Just my $0.02

Edit- Also Kelly you mentioned somewhere that just because a debate says [PASSED] doesn't mean it can't be posted on. Look at the forum and tell me the last time someone posted on a [PASSED] event past the actual due date? Or even close to this date. I'd say just keep them open without the PASSED tag. People are smart enough to see the creation date in the OP. Let the users decide if a debate is over.

Just my $0.02
Connor
Connor
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by STD PT 7/10/2014, 2:52 am

Connor wrote:I think you all need to chill.

Let broeder and Jiglo do what they want, which is making debate posts. We all know those two are like 50% of the users who visit this section that are non-ranked. You guys don't need to be so orderly about everything. I said it before and I'll say it again; I think you guys are trying wayyyy too hard for a section that hardly has any activity. Not everything needs to be ruled with an iron fist. It's one section that a few people post in, how about listening to them and working towards their needs, instead of getting defensive over everything.

Just my $0.02

Lol this, this, this

Intelligent debate was never overly popular, I can't see why you're trying to make it the most active section on these forums, now that we're more inactive than ever...

- Just my $0.02 -
STD PT
STD PT

Back to top Go down

Post by [ADMIN] Adrijana 7/10/2014, 5:59 am

Best debate in a long ass time Razz
[ADMIN] Adrijana
[ADMIN] Adrijana
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by JIGL0JAY 7/10/2014, 6:07 am

[ADMIN] Adrijana wrote: Best debate in a long ass time Razz

IMMA LET YOU FINISH

BUT PROVE MY EXISTENCE IN A GEOPOLITICAL STATE WAS THE BEST THREAD OF ALL TIME
JIGL0JAY
JIGL0JAY
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

http://cliffordthecorrupt.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Daxaal 7/10/2014, 7:41 am

Agreed Smile

Off topic: Maybe there could be live debates? Just an idea and I'm not sure if it would work Surprised
Daxaal
Daxaal
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Broeder 7/10/2014, 11:17 am

The problem is just that theres not enough people who actually like to discuss and put time into topics. Even if there were a few that would keep certain topics ongoing, pretty soon you would get tired of just talking to the same people over and over again.
Broeder
Broeder
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gildarts 7/10/2014, 10:38 pm

Solved and swayed way off topic Locked.
Gildarts
Gildarts

Back to top Go down

Post by [ADMIN] Adrijana 8/10/2014, 1:10 am

Gildarts wrote:Solved and swayed way off topic Locked.

Debates shouldn't be locked. It's an open discussion that can stay open as long as it is respectful to all participating. Just be nice people.
[ADMIN] Adrijana
[ADMIN] Adrijana
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Connor 8/10/2014, 2:06 am

Gildarts wrote:Solved and swayed way off topic Locked.

I was the one who -repped you btw.

If you want the reason, well I thought ti was quite childish to lock this with so many questions still up. So I -repped.

Just my $0.02 :-)
Connor
Connor
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Aezure 9/10/2014, 4:38 pm

JIGL0JAY wrote:

IMMA LET YOU FINISH

BUT PROVE MY EXISTENCE IN A GEOPOLITICAL STATE WAS THE BEST THREAD OF ALL TIME

Satan font; invalid argument.
Aezure
Aezure

http://5jungle.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next