Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Embed IRC into subforums

4 posters

Go down

Do you think that Embedded IRC should be added?

Embed IRC into subforums I_vote_lcap50%Embed IRC into subforums I_vote_rcap 50% 
[ 2 ]
Embed IRC into subforums I_vote_lcap50%Embed IRC into subforums I_vote_rcap 50% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 4

Embed IRC into subforums Empty Embed IRC into subforums

Post by Epistolizer 22/12/2014, 2:10 am

I personally think it'd be cool to embed the IRC clients into the forums.
This would help specifically with subforums like:

Mentoring System
I know there are already specific IRC channels for the Mentoring System, but having them embedded so that someone can contact you instantly whilst you use the forum would boost the Mentors' ability to contact their Mentees.

Staff
I'm sure you guys have Staff subforums to let one another know what's going on when you don't want prying eyes digging into it, and the ability for instant replies would boost this greatly. I.e;

Admin 1 posts about concerns over a forum user due to them being a shady character for one reason or another.
In comes the IRC.
A2: You sure about blah blah blah?
A1: Yeah, he did blah blah blah blah...
A2: Ok, will get on it ASAP.

Forum Help
We've all had that one time on the forums where we just can't find something, or something's gone wrong, and so you turn to the Forum Help section. I mean, the subforum is great and all, but you could be waiting hours for a reply, whereas with Embedded IRC, you can see who's online, and figure out who might be able to assist you, IM them, and get a quick reply. The subforum would still have use for when you can't, but the IRC would be of great benefit.

Donations and VIP status
Staff not checking your post about how you've paid for VIP and still haven't got the rank? Wanting to give away your money, but can't wait hours for a reply? IRC. Provided someone of the right rank is online, this would, yet again, reduce the waiting time for responses significantly.

Merchanting Discussion
Flipping items
"Oh damn, those items are outdated and are no longer useful to flip. If only there were a way I could contact a large group of likeminded individuals to ask for inspiration on what to flip!"
Merchanting Guides
"Hey, User1, I didn't quite get Chapter 2, Paragraph 5's explanation of how to find blah blah blah in your guide... Can you explain it?"
"Sure, User2, basically..."
Rated Merchanting Guides
"Anyone else got User1's guide to long-term investments? If so, would you recommend it to a mid-level investor with X-Mil GP?"
"Yeah, I think it'd be perfect for you, the blah blah section of it really helped me to find a peak/trough and thus get more profit"
"Nah, I think it's a good guide but for your cashstack I'd recommend User2's guide"

SM Lounge
Yeah it's nice to have a conversation with someone in the SM lounge about your favourite football team, etc... Until you realise that you'll be having to make multiple posts per minute to keep the conversation going, as opposed to having a direct, or open IRC chat about the previously mentioned subject.

Runescape Guides
This is the same concept as Merchanting Guides, except obviously related to a wider subject of the game.

Graphics
"Anyone on that can do a signature/avater ASAP?"
"Any reccomendations for shops for this kind of style? (image link)"
"My shop is open, and I've got no current orders! Get your fast, cheap graphics at blah blah blah"

Homework Help
"Anyone on that has studied A Level Mathematics?"
"Yeah, I did! Got an A. What do you need?"

These are just the suggestions I can come up with off the top of my head, but I can pretty much guaruntee that adding Embedded IRC to the subforums would be a great boost to this community!
Let me know what you think in the poll.
Epistolizer
Epistolizer
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Embed IRC into subforums Empty Re: Embed IRC into subforums

Post by Kelly 22/12/2014, 5:19 am

At the very top of the forum (below the SM logo), the 2nd link that says IRC is a web-based version of IRC that links to #SmokinElite. You're welcome to use that, however, I'm not sure if it's physically doable on these forums to embed IRC to it, as we use a free forum.

This is a really great idea in theory, but we already have several channels for different things in SM, like with Mentors/Mentees there's a channel for General Flipping and another channel for Investing. So that might get confusing
Kelly
Kelly
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Rockeye 22/12/2014, 8:04 am

One con tho: every time you reload the page or visit a topic you'd have to login the IRC and join, the channels you used to be in, again.
Mr Rockeye
Mr Rockeye
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gildarts 22/12/2014, 4:01 pm

It could be handy in a way,
However taking Rockeye's point, and taking into consideration it will slowdown the page's loading speed i don't think it will be worth the hassle.
Gildarts
Gildarts
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down