Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Computer Soon :D

2 posters

Go down

New Computer Soon :D Empty New Computer Soon :D

Post by Blood 16/1/2016, 11:54 pm

I'm upgrading the entire system, but the two massive changes are below.
What I have - what I'm upgrading to:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M - NVIDIA GTX 980

GPU:

AMD A8-5600K - Intel Core i7-6700K

CPU:

The system also comes with 2TB memory and an 800-watt power supply.
Blood
Blood
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

New Computer Soon :D Empty Re: New Computer Soon :D

Post by Daxaal 17/1/2016, 3:24 am

Can you do a test of your fps and cpu usage on runescape at max settings with just the intel cpu and not the gpu? I'm interested in knowing how good the intel integrated gpu is on the i7 6700k.

I'm also thinking of purchasing the i7 6700k but not sure if I need a gpu as well since I play less gpu intensive games such as flash games, dota 2, and sometimes RS.

Also what motherboard you getting and how much ram? DDR3 or DDR4?
USB 3.1 gen2? Or just regular usb 3.0?

I'm interested in this motherboard cause it seems futureproof with usb 3.1 gen 2
https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/Z170-AR/

Also what you using for cooling? fan or watercooling?
Daxaal
Daxaal
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Blood 17/1/2016, 3:36 am

Daxaal wrote:Can you do a test of your fps and cpu usage on runescape at max settings with just the intel cpu and not the gpu? I'm interested in knowing how good the intel integrated gpu is on the i7 6700k.

I'm also thinking of purchasing the i7 6700k but not sure if I need a gpu as well since I play less gpu intensive games such as flash games, dota 2, and sometimes RS.

Also what motherboard you getting and how much ram? DDR3 or DDR4?
USB 3.1 gen2? Or just regular usb 3.0?

I'm interested in this motherboard cause it seems futureproof with usb 3.1 gen 2
https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/Z170-AR/

Also what you using for cooling? fan or watercooling?

Integrated will obviously never be anywhere near as good as having a good graphics card considering that shares the load with everything else, but I can potentially do that. It should definitely be fine for lesser demanding games such as flash games, but RS on max settings for example...I imagine it would fair well considering the integrated graphics of my last motherboard worked fairly well with RS at higher graphics and that obviously wasn't exactly the best motherboard on the market as the i7 seems to be. However, the build that I chose did not actually give me an option for a motherboard so I could not honestly tell you what it's coming with which is a bit frightening, but so long as everything works and it has the proper tools, I wouldn't really mind as I'm not a massive gamer by any means. RAM is DDR3 and I believe the USB ports would be 3.0, but could be mistaken.

That motherboard looks very nice, but I will never personally buy anything from ASUS again. They don't do refunds and will only try and repair an issue on one of their products, else send you a replacement, but that could take a couple of weeks total time between shipping back, working on, and sending back that unit or the replacement unit. I had an issue with my graphics card from there and asked for a refund, because I found a better and cheaper unit elsewhere. They refused so it's sitting in a box somewhere in my basement, but if you do go along with that I hope it works out well for you.

Cooling would definitely be fans. My dad doesn't trust water-cooling and I live with my parents currently thus I have follow his lead.
Blood
Blood
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Daxaal 17/1/2016, 4:04 am

Blood wrote:

However, the build that I chose did not actually give me an option for a motherboard so I could not honestly tell you what it's coming with which is a bit frightening, but so long as everything works and it has the proper tools, I wouldn't really mind as I'm not a massive gamer by any means. RAM is DDR3 and I believe the USB ports would be 3.0, but could be mistaken.

Are you buying a prebuild pc or how come you don't know what motherboard is in the desktop?

Blood wrote:
That motherboard looks very nice, but I will never personally buy anything from ASUS again. They don't do refunds and will only try and repair an issue on one of their products, else send you a replacement, but that could take a couple of weeks total time between shipping back, working on, and sending back that unit or the replacement unit. I had an issue with my graphics card from there and asked for a refund, because I found a better and cheaper unit elsewhere. They refused so it's sitting in a box somewhere in my basement, but if you do go along with that I hope it works out well for you.

Cooling would definitely be fans. My dad doesn't trust water-cooling and I live with my parents currently thus I have follow his lead.

What fans are you using? I'm also interested in using fans since this would be the first time I built a PC but i'm not sure what brand to get.

Also with Asus, wouldn't the refund have been issued by the retailer from where you bought graphics card from (e.g. NCIX, some pc store). I would have thought that the retailer would be able to issue an exchange or refund on the spot. Then the retail store would sort out the faulty item with Asus who is the manufacturer.
Daxaal
Daxaal
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Blood 17/1/2016, 4:25 am

Daxaal wrote:
Blood wrote:

However, the build that I chose did not actually give me an option for a motherboard so I could not honestly tell you what it's coming with which is a bit frightening, but so long as everything works and it has the proper tools, I wouldn't really mind as I'm not a massive gamer by any means. RAM is DDR3 and I believe the USB ports would be 3.0, but could be mistaken.

Are you buying a prebuild pc or how come you don't know what motherboard is in the desktop?

Blood wrote:

What fans are you using? I'm also interested in using fans since this would be the first time I built a PC but i'm not sure what brand to get.

Also with Asus, wouldn't the refund have been issued by the retailer from where you bought graphics card from (e.g. NCIX, some pc store). I would have thought that the retailer would be able to issue an exchange or refund on the spot. Then the retail store would sort out the faulty item with Asus who is the manufacturer.

It's a bundle so I got to choose the case, the cpu, the gpu, and the memory. For whatever reasons, the motherboard wasn't listed as an option. Worst case scenario the motherboard in my current computer was one that I purchased last year so I'll simply use that one as it should work with the new gpu and for sure will work with the new ram considering it's the same as the RAM that's in the current unit.

Type of fans I'm also not certain. I don't get that into computers, I just buy and use whatever looks decent that will fit into the computer for a good price really.

The retailer was newegg, but it had been a while after I had bought it that something started going wrong with it so they sent me to ASUS which led to the aforementioned scenario.
Blood
Blood
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Daxaal 26/3/2016, 4:52 pm

Any update on the build? Did you get your new pc or not yet? In the mean time I got the 6700k and noticed some improvements to gaming and RS runs much better. I still haven't got a gpu and would be interested in knowing if a gpu would improve RS performance much. I heard that RS is mostly cpu intensive because it's a java based game? Not sure if true or not
Daxaal
Daxaal
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum