Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SOTW #10 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

+8
Broeder
Mr Zuidenaar
Princess Toon
Inomonu
whuts_combet
Josh Designs
Charlie
Inhaps
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Which is the best entry?

SOTW #10 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED I_vote_lcap82%SOTW #10 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED I_vote_rcap 82% 
[ 9 ]
SOTW #10 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED I_vote_lcap9%SOTW #10 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED I_vote_rcap 9% 
[ 1 ]
SOTW #10 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED I_vote_lcap9%SOTW #10 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED I_vote_rcap 9% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 11

Poll closed

SOTW #10 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED Empty SOTW #10 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Post by Inhaps 8/10/2011, 8:47 pm

Rules:
Your entry must be your own work and must be made by you, ripping will not be tolerated and there will be consequences.
You may only submit one entry. If you decide to change your entry, you may edit your original post before the due date.
Your entry must be made during the submission time; no pre-made entries are allowed.
Your submission must somewhere on the signature say SOTW.
The size of the signature may not exceed 500x250 pixels horizontal, or 250x500 vertical.
No explicit images.

Prizes are as follows:
1st place - 5.5m
2nd place - 2.5m
3rd place - 1m
Public Favourite - 1m

Theme: Typography
Entry Deadline: Friday, October 14, 18:00 UTC/GMT

Post your entries here. Good luck, everyone!
___

whuts_combet: 1st place, Public Favourite

SOTW #10 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED Npnn01

Josh Designs:
By far the best entry. It is a really easy technique and you used it well. good sense of black space. I would have maybe like to see you have done this to a photo with more color but it works fine like this. The only problems i have with is is the text and the border. The SOTW text looks fine but where it says Bruno Mars is to hard to see. And I would have just not done a border.

Broeder:
A good tag as it is, but I feel you took the easy way by using a render instead of creating the text effects yourself. Correct me if I'm wrong, and you did create it out of pure text.

Inhaps:
It isn't awfully complex, however it is very appealing. One thing that bothers me is his nose; it's lost its shape on the right of the image which makes it awkward to look at. The border, I believe, is redundant; it only breaks the flow.

Charlie: 2nd place

SOTW #10 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED AjBq

Josh Designs:
You had a good idea but you just executed it wrong. You should have just had text in the image and not an actual photograph of him. You could use the photo as a template to know where to put the text but you shouldn't have kept it on there. The way i would have done it is used him as a template to see what shadows i need to put text on and the darker the shadow the more overlaying text i put on that part for the more text you have on top of other text the darker it is gonna get.

Broeder:
I picked Charlie as the winner because he handled the theme in the purest form. The body of kanye is very well put together and the color contrast of the black-white and red is something the tag couldnt have done without.

Inhaps:
I do believe that it is a good idea, but it's just not done very well. The bunch of text on top of him looks odd. It would be much greater if it were an image consisting purely of text.

Inomonu: 3rd place

SOTW #10 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED Sotw10

Josh Designs:
This design seems very harsh. It is the simplest form of typography. Your name on it has text that is 3d and pointing to the left. But then the Sotw text is facing us. they should both be facing the same direction for it to make sense. The SOTW text if very hard to read as well. In a sense i feel like you put to much in it. The more simple it is the more professional and good it looks. What i have learned from my professors is that simplicity is key to all good designs. So had the lines behind the font and the lines on the font showing its in motion been gone it would be better.

Broeder:
Not really what i would class as Typography, just a word with some fancy designs that werent th.ought out correctly. Also the sotw text is horrible

Inhaps:
There's really no composition there, nor does it seem follow one style. And the SOTW text is just nasty and difficult to read.
#FFD700 1st place | #E6E8FA 2nd place | #CD7F32 3rd place | #C40233 | #9979BE comment

Last edited by Inhaps on 4/11/2011, 9:53 pm; edited 7 times in total
Inhaps
Inhaps
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

SOTW #10 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED Empty Re: SOTW #10 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Post by Charlie 8/10/2011, 9:11 pm

Typography?
Charlie
Charlie
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhaps 8/10/2011, 9:43 pm

Charlie wrote:Typography?

Text should be the main focus this time, basically.
Inhaps
Inhaps
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Designs 8/10/2011, 10:17 pm

Branch out on this one people leave your comfort zone. Maybe try creating a face of text or an object made of just text, do something unique. here are some examples.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=typographic+sigs&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=292l4190l0l4327l16l10l0l3l3l0l322l2140l0.3.4.2l12l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=652&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi#um=1&hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ocuQTp-EJsbRiALas9X2DQ&ved=0CDwQBSgA&q=typography+graphics&spell=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=227ba8ea409dadca&biw=1280&bih=652
Josh Designs
Josh Designs
Forum Addict (750 posts)
Forum Addict (750 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by whuts_combet 10/10/2011, 9:08 pm

SOTW #10 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED Npnn01

Infaps's IRL picture.
whuts_combet
whuts_combet
Forum Master (1500 posts)
Forum Master (1500 posts)

http://www.dj3scape.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Inomonu 11/10/2011, 7:36 pm

Inomonu's Entry.

SOTW #10 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED Sotw10
Inomonu
Inomonu
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Princess Toon 11/10/2011, 9:38 pm

Awesome that you choose the subject I recommended Inhaps Very Happy Just for the one's who aren't sure what to make... Whuts Combat's sig is a perfect example of typography!
Princess Toon
Princess Toon
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhaps 13/10/2011, 1:33 pm

Looks like I'll have to extend the deadline by another week.
Inhaps
Inhaps
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlie 13/10/2011, 9:41 pm

Tried to make it look like an album cover. Quite pleased with this as I've never done anything even remotely similar.

SOTW #10 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED Kanyeo
Charlie
Charlie
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlie 14/10/2011, 1:55 pm

Inhaps wrote:Looks like I'll have to extend the deadline by another week.

To be honest, I doubt you'd get many more entries if you left it open longer. It's not a particularly approachable theme.
Charlie
Charlie
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Zuidenaar 14/10/2011, 2:03 pm

Charlie wrote:Tried to make it look like an album cover. Quite pleased with this as I've never done anything even remotely similar.

SOTW #10 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED Kanyeo
I think its too big, max size is 250x500 or 500x250.
Mr Zuidenaar
Mr Zuidenaar
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlie 14/10/2011, 2:07 pm

mr zuidenaar wrote:
Charlie wrote:Tried to make it look like an album cover. Quite pleased with this as I've never done anything even remotely similar.
Spoiler:

Mm, I noticed that too. Do the other entrants have a particular problem with a slightly larger entry?
Would kind of defeat my idea of an album cover if I had to follow those dimensions.
Charlie
Charlie
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhaps 14/10/2011, 2:29 pm

Friday, Friday, gotta submit your designs by Friday.
Inhaps
Inhaps
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhaps 14/10/2011, 2:44 pm

Charlie wrote:
mr zuidenaar wrote:
Spoiler:

Mm, I noticed that too. Do the other entrants have a particular problem with a slightly larger entry?
Would kind of defeat my idea of an album cover if I had to follow those dimensions.

It doesn't look much worse at this size.
Inhaps
Inhaps
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlie 14/10/2011, 2:47 pm

Inhaps wrote:
Charlie wrote:
mr zuidenaar wrote:
Spoiler:

It doesn't look much worse at this size.

Suppose. Enter that instead then. Cheers.
Charlie
Charlie
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhaps 14/10/2011, 8:15 pm

I'll have this extended another week just because this has so much potential to bring amazing stuff to existence. This will end together with SOTW 11.
Inhaps
Inhaps
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Broeder 14/10/2011, 8:51 pm

Charlie let me just say that i wont pick your entry as the winner because the head of kanye isnt made from text. I know the bruno mars sig is also probably not completely made of text, but the text covers everything in that tag, and not in this one. Might want to change your entry, because i love it but i have to be strict.
Broeder
Broeder
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlie 14/10/2011, 10:09 pm

Broeder wrote:Charlie let me just say that i wont pick your entry as the winner because the head of kanye isnt made from text. I know the bruno mars sig is also probably not completely made of text, but the text covers everything in that tag, and not in this one. Might want to change your entry, because i love it but i have to be strict.

Does typography necessarily mean just text though? I would have thought my entry fitted in with the theme.
Charlie
Charlie
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhaps 15/10/2011, 12:39 pm

Charlie wrote:
Broeder wrote:Charlie let me just say that i wont pick your entry as the winner because the head of kanye isnt made from text. I know the bruno mars sig is also probably not completely made of text, but the text covers everything in that tag, and not in this one. Might want to change your entry, because i love it but i have to be strict.

Does typography necessarily mean just text though? I would have thought my entry fitted in with the theme.

If it were purely text forming a picture rather than text around the outlines of a picture, it would look better.
Inhaps
Inhaps
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlie 15/10/2011, 12:42 pm

Inhaps wrote:
Charlie wrote:

If it were purely text forming a picture rather than text around the outlines of a picture, it would look better.

I did that initially but didn't like the outcome so much.

I may have to do something similar but completely new then..
Charlie
Charlie
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky 15/10/2011, 1:05 pm

Charlie wrote:
Inhaps wrote:
Charlie wrote:

I did that initially but didn't like the outcome so much.

I may have to do something similar but completely new then..

I think this is why this SOTW didn't get many submissions..
Lucky
Lucky
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Broeder 15/10/2011, 1:17 pm

Im just used to typography sotws to consist of pure text, but i guess i could be more forgiven on these forums Smile
Broeder
Broeder
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by UberSM 15/10/2011, 1:38 pm

I think typography is a bit too advanced for most people on these forums and thats why there wont be much entries. I did give it a try, but its way beyond my skill level, which is already low anyway lol. Smile
UberSM
UberSM

Back to top Go down

Post by Princess Toon 15/10/2011, 7:58 pm

Tbh Broeder. Typography is a very broad subject and Charlie's submission could be seen as typography.

Not to hate on Charlie of course but Whuts Combat's submission is just very advanced and hard to beat.

I also think, because not many people actually KNOW what typography is or have any relationship with the topic whatsoever it doesn't have that much interest as our latest topics did.
Princess Toon
Princess Toon
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlie 16/10/2011, 10:56 am

Mr1inch wrote:Tbh Broeder. Typography is a very broad subject and Charlie's submission could be seen as typography.

Not to hate on Charlie of course but Whuts Combat's submission is just very advanced and hard to beat.

I also think, because not many people actually KNOW what typography is or have any relationship with the topic whatsoever it doesn't have that much interest as our latest topics did.

Yeah it's quite an advanced area of graphics. First attempt I've had at anything like it to be honest. When I saw Whuts Combat's entry I was pretty much like "Yeah no real point in entering, he's won it" haha. Might be why others have been thrown off entering as well. As Smokin Mils isn't a graphics forum we're unlikely to get that many entries with the more advanced topics (like typography).
Charlie
Charlie
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next