Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~*~[GRAPHIC SECTION SUMMER CHALLENGE]~*~

+11
Saber
Zeus
sam_here
Tuff Tiga
Grim IReaper
DoYouPlay_RS
Relax.
xDamon
CrisoDer
todgott
Kelly
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

~*~[GRAPHIC SECTION SUMMER CHALLENGE]~*~ Empty ~*~[GRAPHIC SECTION SUMMER CHALLENGE]~*~

Post by Kelly 2/7/2012, 9:48 am

Since it's the summer time, everyone should have some more free time on their hands, right? Well, let's put that free time to good use! I propose a challenge!

Create as many signatures as you can between July 02, 2012 (today) and September 02, 2012.

THE CHALLENGE
The top three people that create the most signatures between July 02, 2012 and September 02, 2012 will win a little graphic similar to this:

~*~[GRAPHIC SECTION SUMMER CHALLENGE]~*~ 2h2lbbk

When I say "create a signature" I do not mean creating a graphic in five minutes, slapping a render on a background and calling it a signature; I mean actually taking time and working on the graphic. This is an opportunity for each person to expand their knowledge on graphics! You can use the "News\Tip of the Week" thread's tutorials, tips, and tricks to help you Very Happy

RULES
- During the challenge, EACH and EVERY graphic (mostly signatures, but other types of graphics ARE allowed) must have been created during the allotted time (July 02, 2012 to September 02, 2012) and created by you. You CAN collaborate with another person; both persons will get credit.
- To be considered, please create a thread of your own, similar to mine (clickable link) and post the link in this thread. Any signatures made before the thread is placed up do NOT count. Your submissions will not count unless you posted the link in this thread the week you created your thread.
- Post the date you created each signature. This is easy, as you can do it as you go.
- Keep your signatures in spoilers, as having many of them can take awhile for a computer to load.
- No explicit images, text, or contents. Be sure that each and every signature follows the Smokin Mils rules (found here).
- Even though this challenge works on the quantity of graphics, be sure that you still work on the quality. This entire challenge focuses on you working on any styles, skills, or general graphic related things that you normally do not. If you create a graphic that lacks quality, it may not be counted, so be sure to focus on that aspect, too!

THE REASONS BEHIND THE CHALLENGE
The reason behind this challenge is a way for each person interested in graphics to enhance and expand their current knowledge in graphical design. The prize is not big cash or anything, just a small graphic to go in your signature, so use this time to work on a new style, increase your knowledge with graphics, etc.

Please do not cheat or use old graphics that you created before July 02, 2012. This is simply a fun way for all graphic goers to have fun and spend time working on graphics. Have fun, relax, collaborate with people to expand your current knowledge!

CREDIT
This idea was inspired by a thread created by DoYouPlay_RS. Thank you for your inspiring idea thread Smile

CHALLENGER'S THREADS
Below is the thread link of each person taking part in this challenge, in alphabetical order.

- Billious: http://www.smokinelite.com/t62043-challenge-billious-s-summerwinter-here-challenge#873167
- CrisoDer: http://www.smokinelite.com/t61801-kelly-s-summer-challenge-crisoder-s-entry#870229
- DoYouPlay_RS: http://www.smokinelite.com/t61780-100-tags-by-the-end-of-summer-challenge
- Kelly: http://www.smokinelite.com/t61783-kelly-s-summer-challenge-create-as-many-tags-as-possible#870147
- Kyoot: http://www.smokinelite.com/t61870-kyoot-s-summer-challenge#871197
- Saber: http://www.smokinelite.com/t61899-challenge-bomb-s-summer-challenge
- Sneakily: http://www.smokinelite.com/t62343-challenge-sneakily-summer-challenge#876914

Last edited by Kelly on 6/9/2012, 10:40 pm; edited 10 times in total
Kelly
Kelly
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

~*~[GRAPHIC SECTION SUMMER CHALLENGE]~*~ Empty Re: ~*~[GRAPHIC SECTION SUMMER CHALLENGE]~*~

Post by todgott 2/7/2012, 10:26 am

Sorry, but I will not enter. IMO it is very pointless to make graphics community members try and make as many signatures as they can. This will simply lead to very low quality signatures.

Yes, I understand that this is the opposite of what this thread is intended to be, but I think for graphics skill to grow isn't just to bluntly drag one signature after another.

The idea might've not been that bad, but the means of how to do it sure aren't the best.

Anyway, for people who do think this will work out, I wish a great deal of patience, because you will need it! Good luck to everyone! Smile
todgott
todgott
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

~*~[GRAPHIC SECTION SUMMER CHALLENGE]~*~ Empty Re: ~*~[GRAPHIC SECTION SUMMER CHALLENGE]~*~

Post by Kelly 2/7/2012, 10:29 am

todgott wrote:Sorry, but I will not enter. IMO it is very pointless to make graphics community members try and make as many signatures as they can. This will simply lead to very low quality signatures.

Yes, I understand that this is the opposite of what this thread is intended to be, but I think for graphics skill to grow isn't just to bluntly drag one signature after another.

The idea might've not been that bad, but the means of how to do it sure aren't the best.

Anyway, for people who do think this will work out, I wish a great deal of patience, because you will need it! Good luck to everyone! Smile

In two months a person can make a lot of signatures. Yes, the idea is to create as many as possible, but have even mentioned that effort should be made in each.

The general focus isn't so much on making as many as possible, but to expand the knowledge after each signature. The challenge is just a way for a graphic goer to continue onward after finishing one signature, as after one signature, it can be daunting to want to do another, and then another, and can sometimes leave a person to wait several days in between.

I understand your thoughts, but you have misunderstood the point of the thread quite a bit Razz Either or, cheers for the input Smile
Kelly
Kelly
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by CrisoDer 2/7/2012, 11:08 am

My entry thread!
http://www.smokinelite.com/t61801-kelly-s-summer-challenge-crisoder-s-entry#870229
CrisoDer
CrisoDer
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by xDamon 2/7/2012, 1:31 pm

Hmm I think I'll enter but do LA and manips count? I'll probably try to get better in these and make a lot of them in my vacation.
xDamon
xDamon
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Relax. 2/7/2012, 3:32 pm

I'll enter. Have to much time anyhow.
Relax.
Relax.
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by DoYouPlay_RS 2/7/2012, 5:10 pm

Check out my thread here Smile :

http://www.smokinelite.com/t61780-100-tags-by-the-end-of-summer-challenge
DoYouPlay_RS
DoYouPlay_RS
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

http://www.smokinelite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim IReaper 2/7/2012, 6:33 pm

todgott wrote:Sorry, but I will not enter. IMO it is very pointless to make graphics community members try and make as many signatures as they can. This will simply lead to very low quality signatures.

As with what, Todgott said, I'd rather have one great signature, then a dozen poorly made ones. Which is why I made my old service so expensive. I probably could've made more money if I halved the price and skimmed on quality so I could take as many orders as possible. Instead, I choose to set my standards as high as I possibly could to set myself apart from the other services.

Not only did that force me to pick up programs I would've never of used if I didn't have to, such as C4D. But it meant I had to work that much harder to prove to everyone that my service could deliver results that merited it's high price.

Basically, what I'm saying is. Quality > Quantity.
Grim IReaper
Grim IReaper
Forum Addict (750 posts)
Forum Addict (750 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly 2/7/2012, 8:14 pm

xDamon wrote:Hmm I think I'll enter but do LA and manips count? I'll probably try to get better in these and make a lot of them in my vacation.

It's meant for signatures, but hey, if you want to throw in some other types of art, go for it Razz It's not really a strict thing, just something meant to be incentive to work on art that you don't normally work on, and get better at stuff you normally aren't good with Razz

To DYPRS and CrisoDer, adding your threads to the first post, look forward to seeing what you cook up Very Happy
Kelly
Kelly
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuff Tiga 2/7/2012, 8:22 pm

I suggest having the titles of this competition a certain colour so it's easier to pick out.
Tuff Tiga
Tuff Tiga
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly 2/7/2012, 8:24 pm

Tuff tiga wrote:I suggest having the titles of this competition a certain colour so it's easier to pick out.

Yes, I actually was just (literally just now) thinking of that Razz I'm thinking that the title's should be rather similar, too, to pick them out from the rest.

Was thinking along the lines of "Guest's Summer Challenge" in perhaps cyan, as I don't see that used too frequently for shops and such? Thoughts?
Kelly
Kelly
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by CrisoDer 2/7/2012, 8:36 pm

Indigo color fits good. Razz
CrisoDer
CrisoDer

Back to top Go down

Post by Relax. 2/7/2012, 10:56 pm

Do sites count as well?
Relax.
Relax.
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly 3/7/2012, 1:54 am

Relax. wrote:Do sites count as well?

Err... I guess if it's something you want to work on? XD Lol
Kelly
Kelly
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by sam_here 3/7/2012, 6:19 am

Looks like a very nice way to spend your summer =p I can't wait to see what you guys and gals come up with in the end.
sam_here
sam_here
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeus 3/7/2012, 7:11 am

Here is my thread. Smile

Seems like it'll be a bit of fun.
Zeus
Zeus

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly 3/7/2012, 4:06 pm

Added. Going to be changing everyone's titles soon, so they're all the same Smile
Kelly
Kelly
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Saber 3/7/2012, 4:41 pm

I'll enter! Hopefully a quick way to get better at designing right!
Saber
Saber
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly 3/7/2012, 5:19 pm

A new rule has been added, as I do want people to focus on the quality of their graphical works, too:

Kelly wrote:- Even though this challenge works on the quantity of graphics, be sure that you still work on the quality. This entire challenge focuses on you working on any styles, skills, or general graphic related things that you normally do not. If you create a graphic that lacks quality, it may not be counted, so be sure to focus on that aspect, too!

Also, Bomb, I'm adding yours in now. I see the thread. Also changing the title to purple Razz
Kelly
Kelly
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuff Tiga 4/7/2012, 1:32 am

The threads are more noticeable now. Good job Smile
Tuff Tiga
Tuff Tiga
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly 5/7/2012, 3:55 am

Cheers Smile

Also, someone made quite a good suggestion that I would like to put into motion with this summer thingy, but Iød like to know what you guys think Smile

People are hard to work on their signatures, improving their style, quality, depth, or whatever they feel they lack in signature making...

What I'd like to know is would you be interested in physically going through each signature for ONE person and give a rating from 1 to 10 and then suggest what to improve (one, two lines at most works) and what you like about it Smile I would be giving +reps to people who do this, as well as make a little badge similar to the one given to the winners.

Thoughts? This would promote even further for people to work on their style, quality, etc., and give them accurate feedback that would help them progress more Very Happy
Kelly
Kelly
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by CrisoDer 5/7/2012, 7:19 am

^
I would love if someone will do that for me. Smile
CrisoDer
CrisoDer

Back to top Go down

Post by [ADMIN] Billious 5/7/2012, 12:31 pm

This sounds like a good learning opportunity I'm in.

http://www.smokinelite.com/t62043-challenge-billious-s-summerwinter-here-challenge#873167
[ADMIN] Billious
[ADMIN] Billious
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Saber 5/7/2012, 12:36 pm

I would love feedback. Isn't that the main objective?

If people would be willing then sounds excellent.
Saber
Saber
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly 5/7/2012, 3:44 pm

Bomb wrote:I would love feedback. Isn't that the main objective?

If people would be willing then sounds excellent.

The main objective is really for you to work on perfecting things you feel you need to work on, such as depth, lighting, C4D in signatures, signature size, smudge signatures, abstract signatures or anything you personally feel is a handicap for you and you want to progress on.

Most times in signatures, people tend to just stray away from the thing(s) they are bad at. If no one else will provide feedback, I gladly will. For everyone.

Also, Billious adding yours to the first thread now, thank you for taking part Very Happy
Kelly
Kelly
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next