Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[+4 rep reward] How can you get sound on a monitor?

5 posters

Go down

[+4 rep reward] How can you get sound on a monitor? Empty [+4 rep reward] How can you get sound on a monitor?

Post by Bom 26/12/2012, 10:11 pm

Hi guys,

I'm looking to see if it's possible to get sound on this monitor;

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/office/monitors/led/LS24B300HL/ZA

I'm using it with a PS3. I've tried plugging in USB speakers into the PS3 but there's no sound option on the monitor, or at least I can't seem to see one. Can any of you help?

+4rep reward

Last edited by Bom on 26/12/2012, 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bom
Bom
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

[+4 rep reward] How can you get sound on a monitor? Empty Re: [+4 rep reward] How can you get sound on a monitor?

Post by Drakan 26/12/2012, 10:37 pm

Bom, Pretty sure that it doesn't support sound, as it isn't mentioned anywhere on its features.

I think the usb port possibly has another purpose. Usually if you want it to process sounds you need a 3.5in Jack where you can connect the audio with (That usually means there is a sound card or something similar which can process sound.)
Drakan
Drakan
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

Back to top Go down

[+4 rep reward] How can you get sound on a monitor? Empty Re: [+4 rep reward] How can you get sound on a monitor?

Post by iKrazy 26/12/2012, 11:31 pm

post =]
iKrazy
iKrazy
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by attk master 27/12/2012, 5:40 am

this monitor does not have built in speakers, you must connect external speakers vis 3.5m jack or usb, however it does not state that this has those interfaces, so the only way you can get sound is via HDMI. ps3 does have HDMI so you can just hook it right up, if you don't have one you can get one from your local electronics store, wal-mart like store, or online. you can get one for about £1.03 online (from amazon), not sure form a store, but i got a pack of 2 for about $15 (£9.30).
attk master
attk master
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Bom 27/12/2012, 10:16 am

attk master wrote:this monitor does not have built in speakers, you must connect external speakers vis 3.5m jack or usb, however it does not state that this has those interfaces, so the only way you can get sound is via HDMI. ps3 does have HDMI so you can just hook it right up, if you don't have one you can get one from your local electronics store, wal-mart like store, or online. you can get one for about £1.03 online (from amazon), not sure form a store, but i got a pack of 2 for about $15 (£9.30).

Hi there,

I do have an HDMI cable and the PS3 is linked up to the monitor via HDMI - I need this in order for there to be any display on the screen. Today I'm getting some headphone splitters which plug in with a USB, so the idea is for me to plug those into the PS3 and link them up to some speakers/headphones in order to get sounds. The only issue is there's no sign of being able to control sound on the monitor, which may indicate that no matter what there can never be any sound.
Bom
Bom
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by gavonas 27/12/2012, 1:40 pm

Bom wrote:
attk master wrote:this monitor does not have built in speakers, you must connect external speakers vis 3.5m jack or usb, however it does not state that this has those interfaces, so the only way you can get sound is via HDMI. ps3 does have HDMI so you can just hook it right up, if you don't have one you can get one from your local electronics store, wal-mart like store, or online. you can get one for about £1.03 online (from amazon), not sure form a store, but i got a pack of 2 for about $15 (£9.30).

Hi there,

I do have an HDMI cable and the PS3 is linked up to the monitor via HDMI - I need this in order for there to be any display on the screen. Today I'm getting some headphone splitters which plug in with a USB, so the idea is for me to plug those into the PS3 and link them up to some speakers/headphones in order to get sounds. The only issue is there's no sign of being able to control sound on the monitor, which may indicate that no matter what there can never be any sound.

I don't own a PS3 so I don't know how the hook ups work, however, this can be accomplished with cords like these.

http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-Premium-Stereo-Female-Compatible/dp/B003LV9O7A/ref=sr_1_4?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1356615412&sr=1-4

Then you could just plug it into any sound system that will take an AUX input. Such as http://www.amazon.com/Cyber-Acoustics-CA-3001RB-Subwoofer-Satellite/dp/B00006L3C6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356615044&sr=8-1

You won't be able to control the sound by the monitor but the sound system will have its own way of controlling the sound.

gavonas
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by attk master 27/12/2012, 8:28 pm

Bom wrote:

Hi there,

from how i've seen headphones being hooked up to ps3 ont he descriptions it looksa s if you need the component cable to be able to get sound, seeing as how monitors do no have this i doubt sound it possible through the monitor, if the monitor has usb connections you will be able to via usb sound card (which can be bought from amazon for less than $5, the little cheap chinese ones that is, and they do work good, and they're loud) so if it does have usb you'd have to buy one of those, if not, then i don't think you can get sound through the monitor. and you can't get sound by using the usb sound card on the ps3, the sound doesn't go through there, i tried using mine with xbox and it didn't work.
attk master
attk master
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down