Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the most casual thing we do everyday thats bad for you?

+21
Natsu
schoeee
Gecko
Erodish
Naruto
FrodoTBaginz
Muffins
wizardian20
JIGL0JAY
tjanzelve
Sosolid
Kelly
Owner Tank
attk master
Daba
Zeus
Isen
lgot
DoYouPlay_RS
db
zzsnuzz
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What is the most casual thing we do everyday thats bad for you? Empty What is the most casual thing we do everyday thats bad for you?

Post by zzsnuzz 25/4/2013, 1:27 pm

What is the most casual thing we do everyday thats bad for you?
zzsnuzz
zzsnuzz
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

What is the most casual thing we do everyday thats bad for you? Empty Re: What is the most casual thing we do everyday thats bad for you?

Post by db 25/4/2013, 8:47 pm

We sit too much.
We eat too much.
db
db
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

What is the most casual thing we do everyday thats bad for you? Empty Re: What is the most casual thing we do everyday thats bad for you?

Post by DoYouPlay_RS 10/5/2013, 4:05 am

Being exposed to the immaturity of my age.
DoYouPlay_RS
DoYouPlay_RS
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

http://www.smokinelite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lgot 10/5/2013, 6:33 am

pay attention to jiggilojays rants
lgot
lgot
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by JIGL0JAY 10/5/2013, 6:40 am

zzsnuzz wrote:What is the most casual thing we do everyday thats bad for you?
I like this topic, but is it truly something we can debate? It seems like it would involve a lot more subjective opinions. There's a lot of semantics that you've left entirely in the open.

Define "casual"
Define "thing"
Define "bad"
Define "bad for you"

These are 4 different things that completely alter the different arguments.

db wrote:We sit too much.
Who is we? Does a day laborer who works 12 hours a day sitting too much? Does he fall under "We"? Is "we" a group of people in a city, state, country, continent (or even the world)?

db wrote:We eat too much.
How much is too much? And too much of what? Fats, carbs, sugar? Too much in general?

Is what Michael Phelps eats for breakfast "too much"? Is a soda "too much"? What defines "much" and how "much" is "too much"?

DoYouPlay_RS wrote:Being exposed to the immaturity of my age.
How old does one have to be to escape "immaturity"?
How young does one have to be to be able to not be subjected to it?
Why is this "bad for you"?

lgot wrote:pay attention to jiggilojays rants
Why is paying attention to my rants negative?
Do people read what my rants every day?
Do people read them casually every day?
Does your answer even answer the question?
JIGL0JAY
JIGL0JAY
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

http://cliffordthecorrupt.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Isen 10/5/2013, 1:46 pm

Electronics.
Isen
Isen
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by JIGL0JAY 10/5/2013, 3:44 pm

Isen wrote:Electronics.

Why are electronics bad?
How much of "we" is able to access electronics?

Where's the critical thinking? Your answer has absolutely 0 substance to it.
JIGL0JAY
JIGL0JAY
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Isen 10/5/2013, 4:21 pm

JIGL0JAY wrote:

Why are electronics bad?

Because you have an arguement for everything that everyone says for the sake of arguement.

Why are electronics bad? Eyesight

Critical thinking? People sit on their asses and play on their phones, computers, Istuffs, tablets, etc and get fat and lazy.

Go outside and play.
Isen
Isen
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeus 10/5/2013, 4:50 pm

Isen wrote:
JIGL0JAY wrote:

Why are electronics bad?

Because you have an arguement for everything that everyone says for the sake of arguement.

That's kinda the point of this section, isn't it. And electronics/reading in low light don't cause eye damage. It can cause eye strain, but that's temporary and all of those symptoms go away. The British Medical Journal did a study on the 7 most common medical myths that a doctor might believe, and this is in there. You should check it out. Smile
Zeus
Zeus
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by JIGL0JAY 10/5/2013, 9:37 pm

Isen wrote:Because you have an arguement for everything that everyone says for the sake of arguement.
Huh, I had no idea I was in a section where challenging your answer was a bad thing. I apologize, I'll go find somewhere else.

Isen wrote:Why are electronics bad? Eyesight
Source?

http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/eyes/vision_facts_myths.html

Isen wrote:Critical thinking? People sit on their asses and play on their phones, computers, Istuffs, tablets, etc and get fat and lazy.
What does that have to do with the fact that your post was literally 1 word in the "intelligent debate" section.

Isen wrote:Go outside and play.
Aww, did the little baby get sad that he couldn't get his post up without getting challenged in here?

What is the most casual thing we do everyday thats bad for you? Cupguy10
JIGL0JAY
JIGL0JAY
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Isen 10/5/2013, 11:36 pm

JIGL0JAY wrote:
Isen wrote:Because you have an arguement for everything that everyone says for the sake of arguement.
Huh, I had no idea I was in a section where challenging your answer was a bad thing. I apologize, I'll go find somewhere else.

Isen wrote:Why are electronics bad? Eyesight
Source?

http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/eyes/vision_facts_myths.html

Isen wrote:Critical thinking? People sit on their asses and play on their phones, computers, Istuffs, tablets, etc and get fat and lazy.
What does that have to do with the fact that your post was literally 1 word in the "intelligent debate" section.

Isen wrote:Go outside and play.
Aww, did the little baby get sad that he couldn't get his post up without getting challenged in here?

What is the most casual thing we do everyday thats bad for you? Cupguy10

I always see reasons why everyone is wrong, what is your answer to the question?
Isen
Isen
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by JIGL0JAY 11/5/2013, 1:32 am

Isen wrote:I always see reasons why everyone is wrong, what is your answer to the question?
Actually, I never once said "you were wrong". I've corrected YOUR answer because you gave a faulty reason.

I questioned the subject as not debatable (because it really isn't debatable), and I also questioned people's answers. If they answer my questions, I'll ask more questions. Is that not how a debate goes?

Why do I not give an answer? Because my opinion holds about as much validity to the subject as yours or anyone else's. Which is to say, none at all. There is no right or wrong answer. I could say eating is something that's really bad for you. But who's to say that the person who comes in here and says smoking is the worst thing you can do for yourself? It's all subjective, which means its impossible to come to a conclusion with any sort of meaning.

We could argue about whether eating or smoking is worse, and we could even pull statistics, but nobody can ever really be WRONG in that situation.
JIGL0JAY
JIGL0JAY
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by zzsnuzz 11/5/2013, 3:10 am

JIGL0JAY wrote:
zzsnuzz wrote:What is the most casual thing we do everyday thats bad for you?
I like this topic, but is it truly something we can debate? It seems like it would involve a lot more subjective opinions. There's a lot of semantics that you've left entirely in the open.

Define "casual"
Define "thing"
Define "bad"
Define "bad for you"

These are 4 different things that completely alter the different arguments.

db wrote:We sit too much.
Who is we? Does a day laborer who works 12 hours a day sitting too much? Does he fall under "We"? Is "we" a group of people in a city, state, country, continent (or even the world)?

db wrote:We eat too much.
How much is too much? And too much of what? Fats, carbs, sugar? Too much in general?

Is what Michael Phelps eats for breakfast "too much"? Is a soda "too much"? What defines "much" and how "much" is "too much"?

DoYouPlay_RS wrote:Being exposed to the immaturity of my age.
How old does one have to be to escape "immaturity"?
How young does one have to be to be able to not be subjected to it?
Why is this "bad for you"?

lgot wrote:pay attention to jiggilojays rants
Why is paying attention to my rants negative?
Do people read what my rants every day?
Do people read them casually every day?
Does your answer even answer the question?
Casual as in things everyday people do, not out of the ordinary, things we dont think about becasue we are just so used to it.
I ment things as in anything that you can think of, I didnt want to be specific because anything could be bad for your health thatw e dont relise.
Bad as in what is not benificial to your health what so ever mentally and physically.
Bad to me is exactly how i put it above.
zzsnuzz
zzsnuzz
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by JIGL0JAY 11/5/2013, 6:17 am

zzsnuzz wrote:Casual as in things everyday people do, not out of the ordinary, things we dont think about becasue we are just so used to it.
So you don't actually have an answer for me? Your vague statement isolates entire cultures and groups of people because while sociology teaches us general trends, it also teaches us that even two cities close to each other can act entirely different.

So what might be "casual" in Seattle might not be "casual" in Chicago. Likewise what might be "casual" in Paris might not be "casual" in Tehran.

zzsnuzz wrote:Bad as in what is not benificial to your health what so ever mentally and physically.
So what if I casually jerk off 20 times a day? That's probably really bad for me for a variety of reasons. But that means fuck all because that's my own life. You're not specific enough, your entire topic has holes in it that can be used to take advantage of the argument for any number of reasons.

Make a better foundation for your argument, by giving me explanations you're helping expand on what you mean.
JIGL0JAY
JIGL0JAY
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Daba 11/5/2013, 12:23 pm

Kay, how about this.

In most civilized western societies, we often use toilets on which you have to sit 90 degrees perpendicular to the surface, in the "sitting" posture. This is bad for your health.

Straining on a Western toilet puts out a lot more effort than squatting on a squatting toilet (like they do in Asia/Middle East/elsewhere) and can lead to doing the Valsalva maneuver many times (exhaling with all breathing passages closed, much like what occurs if you're a bad weightlifter and don't breathe properly). When the Valsalva maneuver occurs you often feel dizzy and there's a rare chance you can faint, which is why some people have fainted on a toilet before. Colon issues have also arisen from the use of western toilets, though they are rare.

Daba
Daba
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by JIGL0JAY 11/5/2013, 4:40 pm

Daba wrote:In most civilized western societies, we often use toilets on which you have to sit 90 degrees perpendicular to the surface, in the "sitting" posture. This is bad for your health.

Straining on a Western toilet puts out a lot more effort than squatting on a squatting toilet (like they do in Asia/Middle East/elsewhere) and can lead to doing the Valsalva maneuver many times (exhaling with all breathing passages closed, much like what occurs if you're a bad weightlifter and don't breathe properly). When the Valsalva maneuver occurs you often feel dizzy and there's a rare chance you can faint, which is why some people have fainted on a toilet before. Colon issues have also arisen from the use of western toilets, though they are rare.

Perfect. This answers the questions, explains why its bad, and is something that we do that we may not realize is bad.

My problem with this is two fold (keep in mind I understand the difference between our toilets and squat toilets):

You say that colon issues are rare on western toilets. If colon issues are rare, does that mean that the wrongness of our ways is actually as wrong as you say it is?

How does the bad sitting posture pose a problem compared to other things that "civilized western societies" do that are bad?
JIGL0JAY
JIGL0JAY
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by zzsnuzz 11/5/2013, 6:25 pm

JIGL0JAY wrote:
zzsnuzz wrote:Casual as in things everyday people do, not out of the ordinary, things we dont think about becasue we are just so used to it.
So you don't actually have an answer for me? Your vague statement isolates entire cultures and groups of people because while sociology teaches us general trends, it also teaches us that even two cities close to each other can act entirely different.

So what might be "casual" in Seattle might not be "casual" in Chicago. Likewise what might be "casual" in Paris might not be "casual" in Tehran.

zzsnuzz wrote:Bad as in what is not benificial to your health what so ever mentally and physically.
So what if I casually jerk off 20 times a day? That's probably really bad for me for a variety of reasons. But that means fuck all because that's my own life. You're not specific enough, your entire topic has holes in it that can be used to take advantage of the argument for any number of reasons.

Make a better foundation for your argument, by giving me explanations you're helping expand on what you mean.

You then prove my point good sir:) I want to pull out the different casualties in peoples lifes so we can make an arguement or make us more open minded thoughts about different people. Which then goes back to what ar things we do causually everyday that is bad for us, which we can now analize eachothers qualities:)
zzsnuzz
zzsnuzz
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by attk master 12/5/2013, 2:51 am

without electronics, i'd be a dumbass. i've learned sooooooo much though electronics and if used to fuel knowledge they can be powerful tools.

imo we over-consume too much, destroying our planet to fuel our "needs".
attk master
attk master
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by JIGL0JAY 14/5/2013, 6:59 pm

zzsnuzz wrote:I want to pull out the different casualties in peoples lifes so we can make an arguement
So basically your title is completely misleading. A better title would be "What is something that the average person does that is the worst for your health?"

And even then, that's a hard question to debate considering it has no limitations on WHAT it is. It could range anywhere from eating processed foods to toilet posture.

zzsnuzz wrote:or make us more open minded thoughts about different people. Which then goes back to what ar things we do causually everyday that is bad for us, which we can now analize eachothers qualities:)
What....

attk master wrote:
without electronics, i'd be a dumbass. i've learned sooooooo much though electronics and if used to fuel knowledge they can be powerful tools.
This isn't really a rebuttal of what Isen said because it's a personal anecdote. Isen did not cite anything, and neither did you. As far as I'm concerned, this is a lot of conjecture and no substance.

attk master wrote:imo we over-consume too much, destroying our planet to fuel our "needs".
Is this something the average person does? Can you cite something to explain that? Or are you going to just continue to prove my point that this thread is almost entirely useless to actually prove anything.

Guys you're doing show and tell without the tell. You can't just come in, give your answer, and then be done with it. If you're not going to explain, then don't bother posting.
JIGL0JAY
JIGL0JAY
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly 16/5/2013, 2:54 am

I tend to actually avoid this section a bit, as Clifford you don't really debate... You tend to question everything for the sake of a question which I feel makes you a critical thinker, but can also cause redundant arguments Neutral

But I feel rather strongly on this one...

I feel that the most casual thing that "we" do on a daily basis that is bad for us not getting enough sleep. I'm defining "WE" as Americans in particular, as I live in America and am exposed to the daily lifestyle of an American as apposed to other countries.

"Over 40 million American workers do not get enough sleep every night, which is about 30% of civilian workforce." The source of this is CBS, which was accumulated from the CDC. [source].

Now most likely the question incoming will be "how is this harmful?" Well, according to WebMD, here are 10 effects to lack of sleep [source]:
  1. Increases the likelihood of accidents.
  2. Impairs critical thinking and learning.
  3. Sleep deprivation can lead to serious health problems.
  4. Kills your sex drive.
  5. Can contribute to symptoms of depression.
  6. Ages your skin.
  7. Makes you forgetful.
  8. Can cause you to gain weight.
  9. May increase risks of death.
  10. Impairs judgement, especially about sleep.

Ultimately the moral of the story is get good sleep!
Kelly
Kelly
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by JIGL0JAY 16/5/2013, 3:36 am

Kelly wrote:I tend to actually avoid this section a bit, as Clifford you don't really debate... You tend to question everything for the sake of a question which I feel makes you a critical thinker, but can also cause redundant arguments Neutral

I feel that the most casual thing that "we" do on a daily basis that is bad for us not getting enough sleep. I'm defining "WE" as Americans in particular, as I live in America and am exposed to the daily lifestyle of an American as apposed to other countries.

"Over 40 million American workers do not get enough sleep every night, which is about 30% of civilian workforce." The source of this is CBS, which was accumulated from the CDC. [source].

Now most likely the question incoming will be "how is this harmful?" Well, according to WebMD, here are 10 effects to lack of sleep [source]:
  4. Kills your sex drive.
  6. Ages your skin.
  7. Makes you forgetful.

Can we please get more arguments like this and what Daba was starting? I think it would make this section a million times better. This is a perfect response to the question.

Since I suppose I can't actually convince anyone of the futility of debating points such as this, I will take the side of Kelly on this debate as she has a larger statistic (30%), has sources, and the problems faced by lack of sleep are pretty much all listed.
JIGL0JAY
JIGL0JAY
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly 16/5/2013, 4:07 am

JIGL0JAY wrote:
Kelly wrote:I tend to actually avoid this section a bit, as Clifford you don't really debate... You tend to question everything for the sake of a question which I feel makes you a critical thinker, but can also cause redundant arguments Neutral

4. Kills your sex drive.
  6. Ages your skin.
  7. Makes you forgetful.

Can we please get more arguments like this and what Daba was starting? I think it would make this section a million times better. This is a perfect response to the question.

Since I suppose I can't actually convince anyone of the futility of debating points such as this, I will take the side of Kelly on this debate as she has a larger statistic (30%), has sources, and the problems faced by lack of sleep are pretty much all listed.

This may sound hilarious, so get your laughs out now...
But maybe you should make a guide/suggestion/tips on debating Razz
Some people may just not understand the art of debating or what makes a good debate?

Kelly
Kelly
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Owner Tank 17/5/2013, 12:21 am

Kelly wrote:
JIGL0JAY wrote:

4. Kills your sex drive.
  6. Ages your skin.
  7. Makes you forgetful.

Some people may just not understand the art of debating or what makes a good debate?

1.Get sources
2.Know what you are actually talking debating about before debating
3.Make sense.
Owner Tank
Owner Tank
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by wizardian20 17/5/2013, 1:09 am

Jiglojay, would you dane to allow me a reply on the topic, the way I see fit, or would that be too much to ask? Please remember when making your decision that, for the benefit of both yourself and my own, I have little reputable education on the subject and my simpleton logic allows me few leisures such as to adjust this hindering detail. I should only think it fair that by this criterion I alone meet you would accept my request to comment even if only to ascertain a motley of potentially rant-worthy fodder 'pieces.'
wizardian20
wizardian20
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly 17/5/2013, 7:42 am

Owner Tank wrote:
Kelly wrote:
JIGL0JAY wrote:

4. Kills your sex drive.
  6. Ages your skin.
  7. Makes you forgetful.

1.Get sources
2.Know what you are actually talking debating about before debating
3.Make sense.

Yes, logically that's the way it works.
However, in a 'real life' debate, often times one does not have direct access to the interwebz to look things up, as they do here.
But to counteract that, most debates IRL are pre-decided as far as a topic is concerned, so parties all gather information ahead of time.
One of those in a rock and a hard place situations, I reckon.

wizardian20 wrote:Jiglojay, would you dane to allow me a reply on the topic, the way I see fit, or would that be too much to ask? Please remember when making your decision that, for the benefit of both yourself and my own, I have little reputable education on the subject and my simpleton logic allows me few leisures such as to adjust this hindering detail. I should only think it fair that by this criterion I alone meet you would accept my request to comment even if only to ascertain a motley of potentially rant-worthy fodder 'pieces.'

He doesn't own the section Razz
I would recommend, though, trying to find some sources to back you up.
Google is not just a Moderator on the forum, but a fantastic search engine lol!

Kelly
Kelly
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next