Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting Change in Clause for PayPal

4 posters

Go down

Interesting Change in Clause for PayPal Empty Interesting Change in Clause for PayPal

Post by Snow 13/1/2014, 5:13 pm

Some of you might find it interesting that PayPal's policy has recently changed and they are cracking down on virtual currencies. You may NOT use paypal to facilitate any virtual currency/forex transfer or sale.

This is mostly to combat Bitcoin and other crypto-currencies it seems, as these are the people they appear to be targeting with locks... but that'll spill over I am sure. I wonder if they'll start giving overstock.com a hard time since they accept Bitcoin payments and Paypal. Sounds like a nerve has been struck.

Here's an image regarding someone's paypal:
Interesting Change in Clause for PayPal 9KYZVnu2

Later, PayPal slightly recanted, saying the sale of mining equipment is alright... Which is incredibly obvious that is a must, since people use graphics cards pretty heavily for mining, or any computer at all could be considered a mining rig.

You still absolutely cannot transact with virtual currencies.

Here's a statement from their president and a response from someone, maybe you'll have a direct answer regarding video game gold:
Interesting Change in Clause for PayPal Paypalisstupidlamederpswhoarehypocritalnoobs
Snow
Snow
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Interesting Change in Clause for PayPal Empty Re: Interesting Change in Clause for PayPal

Post by chocolatnave 13/1/2014, 5:25 pm

I thought you weren't allowed to use paypal to sell/buy virtual currency, items, or anything really, unless I'm wrong on that
chocolatnave
chocolatnave
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Interesting Change in Clause for PayPal Empty Re: Interesting Change in Clause for PayPal

Post by Inhaps 13/1/2014, 5:35 pm

chocolatnave wrote:I thought you weren't allowed to use paypal to sell/buy virtual currency, items, or anything really, unless I'm wrong on that

Paypal rules haven't had anything against the sale of virtual goods. Virtual currency is different to goods.
Inhaps
Inhaps
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Snow 13/1/2014, 5:41 pm

In the past, I have been able to tell paypal that I was buying and selling virtual currency. Any time they had a question about my account. That was never a problem, now it is. You should refer to the gold as nothing more than virtual goods, or virtual "items" .. even game items is good. If you tell them it's virtual gold/money/game money now you're boned.
Snow
Snow
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly 14/1/2014, 3:00 am

Snow wrote:In the past, I have been able to tell paypal that I was buying and selling virtual currency. Any time they had a question about my account. That was never a problem, now it is. You should refer to the gold as nothing more than virtual goods, or virtual "items" .. even game items is good. If you tell them it's virtual gold/money/game money now you're boned.

Yikes. Well, thank you for the heads up on that specifically. Ironically, most of the problematic situations I've encountered in the past were revolved around using Moneypak from my Paypal as opposed to Paypal itself. Nevertheless, it pays off to be informed.

More on the topic, I suppose something similar to this was bound to occur, was it not?
Kelly
Kelly
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down