Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Debate Topic: Communism -VS- Capitalism [PAST]

2 posters

Go down

Debate Topic: Communism -VS- Capitalism [PAST] Empty Debate Topic: Communism -VS- Capitalism [PAST]

Post by Frekwency 23/5/2014, 4:35 pm

Debate Topic: Communism -VS- Capitalism [PAST] 0d2a6f2f170173bdf39d3707acab94e4

DEBATE TOPIC

Communism -VS- Capitalism

TOPIC LEADER

Kid Rampage5

RESEARCH

(provided by Topic Leader)

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/communism

\"Kid Rampage5 wrote:Yes, indeed it is. Communism (at least how I see it) fights corruption, apathetic behavior, and encourages work ethic to increase. I know that Communism has failed in the past several times, but I still believe it to be the best government for a Society.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/capitalism?q=capitalism

\"Kid Rampage5 wrote:The way communism is said, or heard, makes it very regarding to every body. The problem is, that the communistic governments never actually accomplished the equal distribution method. However, the leaders of that particular country have a lot more money than the people. Also, the equal range is the range which puts people into poverty. The government itself runs practically everything, which makes them have a lot more power over people.

(provided by Frekwency)

Differences between Capitalism and Communism:

Capitalism

• System of government is democratic
  • Property is privately owned
  • Driven by free enterprise
  • Wealth distributed unevenly
  • Education and health care provided by private entities
  • Freedom of the press Class distinctions: upper class, middle class and working class
  • Focus is on the individual and his/her own progress in life

Communism

• System of government is totalitarian
  • Property is owned by the state
  • No free enterprise is allowed
  • Wealth distributed equally
  • Education and health care provided by the state
  • Press controlled and owned by the state
  • Classless society: all members of society are considered to be equal
  • Focus is on the progress of the community as a whole

The ideology of capitalism

• People need freedom
  • When people compete against one another, they achieve greater things
  • Some people have more than others because they make better use of their abilities
  • Governments should not interfere with the rights of individuals to make their own living
  • The government should interfere in the economy as little as possible

The ideology of communism

• People need one another
  • When people work together as equals, they achieve greater things
  • No-one should have more than anyone else - everybody's needs are equally important
  • Governments should make sure that everyone's needs are being met
  • There is central control of the economy

Source: http://www.sahistory.org.za/article/capitalism-vs-communism-and-russian-revolution-grade-11

DEBATE

(provided by Topic Leader)

Kid Rampage5 wrote: Yes I do believe communism is better due to the fact that everybody in the ruled nation are treated as equals, consequently this can lead to a lower crime rate, it also allows the economy to be a more stable as government spending is reduced by a lot meaning the money can be put to other use.

(provided by Frekwency)

Capitalism. Please note that politics are my weakest point. I do however firmly believe that Capitalism is FAR better than Communism. The biggest reason is competition. With Communism, there's basically no reason to excel in life when everyone is going to be paid the same. With Capitalism, you get competition. You must earn everything you have. That drives people to be the very best.

I do think Capitalism comes with it's own issues, such as lying, stealing, and the list goes on. I am not an expert on this, so I don't really know all the downfalls. Please enlighten me.

So, what do you all think? Is Communism better than Capitalism? Why or why not?

[CLICK HERE =>] SUBMIT YOUR OWN TOPIC FOR DEBATE [<=CLICK HERE]
Frekwency
Frekwency
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Debate Topic: Communism -VS- Capitalism [PAST] Empty Re: Debate Topic: Communism -VS- Capitalism [PAST]

Post by Frekwency 26/5/2014, 6:14 am

Hmmm... Well this is a tough one, frek! As a completely different person than you, frekwency, I obviously have differing views. Here are those different views:

Communism is the bees knees hands down. Best in town. Why? Well you listed them already, Frekwency! Just for clarification, I'll reiterate them:

• People need one another

- Gosh darn right! Communism so thoughtful! Sometimes, when my provider cannot provide, I must reach out for a helping hand.

• When people work together as equals, they achieve greater things

- Equality! That's just screaming peace and harmony! If you try and pick up a log, you may think - Ow! Heavy log! Throw in another guy and together you may think - Wow! That logs weight was evenly distributed between both of us, effectively making it half as heavy! Throw that kind of thinking into the government and strap on a few billion people, you've got yourself one damn light log!

• No-one should have more than anyone else - everybody's needs are equally important

- Equality! No one person is better than another! So, why should Jim be getting more money?! I mean, he is doing all the work and coming up with all the ideas.. But just because I like to nap all day doesn't mean he's better! In the end, my family needs food too! Someone should tell Jim this is a communist land and he needs to work harder so we can all afford to live the same lives!

• Governments should make sure that everyone's needs are being met

- That's what government stands for right? Govern "rule" ment "everything and make sure it's fair".

• There is central control of the economy

Yikes! Could you imagine the world without complete control?! Things would be up for debate and that means change! Good thing our leader has our best interests in mind!

Hmm.. Well I think that sums up my completely different point of view, Frekwency.

I wonder...... is there a possibility that communism ISN'T the best? Probably not! I guess I'll just keep the exact same thought process. Hopefully nobody comes in here with a different opinion!

different =/= equal
Frekwency
Frekwency
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Debate Topic: Communism -VS- Capitalism [PAST] Empty Re: Debate Topic: Communism -VS- Capitalism [PAST]

Post by Cald 26/5/2014, 11:34 am

Fundamentally the idea of Communism that Karl Marx presented is superior to any for of capitalism that we have ever had, however his proposed ideals are essentially achievable. As you've stated above there is no true reason to work harder than anyone else, or to bother trying to excel, because no matter what you'll make the same amount of money and live the same life as every other person; why should someone train to be a doctor for ~6 years only to make as much money as the man making coffee, why should anyone do anything more than what they are expected to do?

Whilst it is true that a degree of equality is required in society, ultimately all people are not equal and that is something that is harsh, but has to be accepted. There are always those who are going to be smarter, stronger, and simply more impressive than their counterpart, and as such they require the recognition for their efforts; a society cannot survive in an indulgence of mediocrity. Hence in this way capitalism is superior, people have motivation to surpass others, there are reasons to exert your capabilities rather than just doing the bare minimum.

The notion that "when people work together as equals, they achieve greater things" is not entirely true. One of the most notorious examples of communism is undeniably the Soviet Union, and whilst it can and is argued that the nation prospered under this regime of 'equality' presented by Joseph Stalin it was ultimately however not a great improvement upon what was already in place. The 'greater things' that this example presents was the increase in production of goods such as grain to allow for the acquisition of industrial advancement, however it came at a great cost. These peasants worked together to achieve what on the outside seemed to be a prosperous economy, but what was in reality an extermination. These people despite their inequality were all equally forced to work themselves to death, giving away all their food, and facing harsh famines.

Essentially the issues with communism stem from the one crucial fact, that for it to work, everyone must support it, and when this means that the wealthy will need to give up their wealth for equality to be achieved, the change will be met with harsh opposition. Capitalism does have its faults, but its the best option that we've got.
Cald
Cald
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down