Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OSRS Merching

+2
Phileep
hammer man25
6 posters

Go down

OSRS Merching Empty OSRS Merching

Post by wizardian20 9/4/2015, 3:14 am

Hey

I'm pining to get back into merching, but on OSRS, and I have had little success, though I am not mems as of yet and have only looked at items I flipped in a different era.

Any tips tailored specifically for the OSRS grand exchange merchant? Item suggestions even?

I am working with betwen 2.5m and just over 1b depending on the number of accounts I get involved.

Thanks
Wiz
wizardian20
wizardian20
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

OSRS Merching Empty Re: OSRS Merching

Post by hammer man25 9/4/2015, 4:08 am

Take a look at the site we have 07flip.info It has a lot of useful limits on it.
hammer man25
hammer man25
Forum Master (1500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by wizardian20 9/4/2015, 4:45 am

Unless im missing something this forum is relatively weak for OSRS flipping, I searched just about every conceivable location and can count the logs (let alone guides, tips, mentorships, etc.) for 07 on one hand, including after a search for the criteria you suggested.

Any suggestions?

If no program exists I would be willing myself to use the general flipping edu. I got here a while back and a general understanding of economics to spearhead a 07 program overhaul (or foundation of such, rather), though I imagine this would not appeal to those in power here.

Since posting I noodled around with the alphabet and have had much greater success in regions I would never have expected.

However, as above, still looking for suggestions.

Thanks
wizardian20
wizardian20
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by hammer man25 9/4/2015, 4:47 am

wizardian20 wrote:Unless im missing something this forum is relatively weak for OSRS flipping, I searched just about every conceivable location and can count the logs (let alone guides, tips, mentorships, etc.) for 07 on one hand, including after a search for the criteria you suggested.

Any suggestions?

If no program exists I would be willing myself to use the general flipping edu. I got here a while back and a general understanding of economics to spearhead a 07 program overhaul (or foundation of such, rather), though I imagine this would not appeal to those in power here.

Since posting I noodled around with the alphabet and have had much greater success in regions I would never have expected.

However, as above, still looking for suggestions.

Thanks

There is nothing specific to 07 merching, besides the limits. It's just that not many people post their logs from 2007. All the guides from EOC apply to 07, just with new limits.
hammer man25
hammer man25

Back to top Go down

Post by Phileep 9/4/2015, 6:33 am

You should also notice that you can count the number of active Rs3 logs with your free hand. Razz

As to your concern with the lack of guidance... as hammer man said, most of what is taught in rs3 is applicable to 07, so the creation of an entire program is, no doubt, superfluous. Highly specific guides could be created, I suppose, but I think they would run an extreme risk of being outdated very quickly. I just find it hard to see a general (and thus useful) guide being created that will only work in 07, when the mechanics between the two Ges are so similar, and if anything rs3 has more options available to it.
Phileep
Phileep
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by piramatrix 9/4/2015, 6:34 am

like hamerman said, all guides are basicly the same for OSRS. the reason there are so few 07 log here is prob. because 07 merching is still relatively new, and people are still trying to keep their best flips secret, in time i'm sure more will be posted. but if you really want to check out some logs take a look at to oldschool logs from merchz.com . and if you have any question related to merchanting, feel free to pop in at the in game cc "07 flip"
piramatrix
piramatrix

Back to top Go down

Post by wizardian20 9/4/2015, 3:10 pm

Very good points made here friends!

I recognize that the immediately apparent mechanics of the 07 game are very similar to those of RS3 but I do not believe that the games and thus the game point systems or game economies are close enough to be grouped together.

Let me explain in short, and I recognize it would be fallacious to present this one example as indicitave of any sort of general trend but perhaps you will see my logic at least and perhaps agree the games are NOT the same though appearing as such:

I have a friend that bots 24/7 on a desktop made for programming (botting for ex.) such that said friend is able to run upwards of hundreds of accounts at the same time, accounting for large portions of the production of certain in-game points (not directly gold, but runite, for instance). For various different factors of course almost all items will be worth different amounts across the two games, but runite ores remain roughly constant. One might suggest that this is because it is not markedly easier to mine runite in RS3 than in 07. This is assuredly not so given the ludicrous new tools and locations etc. in RS3. One begins to wonder why, with demands likely roughly the same proportional to supplies across the two platforms, and with one platform's version of the point being easier to accumulate, why the prices remain the same, instead of the 07 runite ore being worth as much more as it is harder to accumulate?

The ban rate, gentlemen, is your answer.

I firmly believe that runescape's economy is largely automatic, based largely off of the work of said bots and botters as I have mentioned, and as such, a much higher ban rate in rs3 for said mainstream goldfarming elite botters would garnish the noticed trend. While it is far easier/more efficient to mine runite in RS3 as a human, it is much more difficult to do on a large scale as a legion of bots which is necessary to determine/set the pricing (for this item and all bottable items thus our entire economy).

As such a difference remains, the two games and thus the two economies remain dissimilar enough to warrant separate but equal treatment.

Many of you have also recognized the larger trend across the two games/platforms which is something of a parallel to the ethnocentric anthro. argument for the superior intelligence of the aboriginee peoples of New Guinea compared to that of the average American. In short the idea is that such a pop. was/is too small for mass epidemic, which is the primary arbiter/cause of natural (random) selection in humans, as in the West, but instead mass homicide (cultural) remains the cause of mass death-- homicide which is more easily avoided by the superior intellect, yielding a survival of the smartest instead of the randomly lucky enough to have the right genetic coding for the right proteins to block the certain epidemics. A bastardization but essentially the same, the average joe does not play 07 because he is not the elite of runescape. I am not suggesting the contrapositive, that 07 players are the elite of runescape, merely that there is correlation, it tends toward the more die-hard and thus presumably more successful players which tend toward having certain character traits (prone to addiction), thus different populous for the two games thus different games/economies further...

VERY farfetched I will admit but I am selling my theoretical program.

wizardian20
wizardian20
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by hammer man25 9/4/2015, 4:45 pm

wizardian20 wrote:Very good points made here friends!

I recognize that the immediately apparent mechanics of the 07 game are very similar to those of RS3 but I do not believe that the games and thus the game point systems or game economies are close enough to be grouped together.

Let me explain in short, and I recognize it would be fallacious to present this one example as indicitave of any sort of general trend but perhaps you will see my logic at least and perhaps agree the games are NOT the same though appearing as such:

I have a friend that bots 24/7 on a desktop made for programming (botting for ex.) such that said friend is able to run upwards of hundreds of accounts at the same time, accounting for large portions of the production of certain in-game points (not directly gold, but runite, for instance). For various different factors of course almost all items will be worth different amounts across the two games, but runite ores remain roughly constant. One might suggest that this is because it is not markedly easier to mine runite in RS3 than in 07. This is assuredly not so given the ludicrous new tools and locations etc. in RS3. One begins to wonder why, with demands likely roughly the same proportional to supplies across the two platforms, and with one platform's version of the point being easier to accumulate, why the prices remain the same, instead of the 07 runite ore being worth as much more as it is harder to accumulate?

The ban rate, gentlemen, is your answer.

I firmly believe that runescape's economy is largely automatic, based largely off of the work of said bots and botters as I have mentioned, and as such, a much higher ban rate in rs3 for said mainstream goldfarming elite botters would garnish the noticed trend. While it is far easier/more efficient to mine runite in RS3 as a human, it is much more difficult to do on a large scale as a legion of bots which is necessary to determine/set the pricing (for this item and all bottable items thus our entire economy).

As such a difference remains, the two games and thus the two economies remain dissimilar enough to warrant separate but equal treatment.

Many of you have also recognized the larger trend across the two games/platforms which is something of a parallel to the ethnocentric anthro. argument for the superior intelligence of the aboriginee peoples of New Guinea compared to that of the average American. In short the idea is that such a pop. was/is too small for mass epidemic, which is the primary arbiter/cause of natural (random) selection in humans, as in the West, but instead mass homicide (cultural) remains the cause of mass death-- homicide which is more easily avoided by the superior intellect, yielding a survival of the smartest instead of the randomly lucky enough to have the right genetic coding for the right proteins to block the certain epidemics. A bastardization but essentially the same, the average joe does not play 07 because he is not the elite of runescape. I am not suggesting the contrapositive, that 07 players are the elite of runescape, merely that there is correlation, it tends toward the more die-hard and thus presumably more successful players which tend toward having certain character traits (prone to addiction), thus different populous for the two games thus different games/economies further...

VERY farfetched I will admit but I am selling my theoretical program.

You're also looking at this in the light as if none of us take botting/cheating in general into account, which I always take into account (gotta know what I'll be making before I start). While there are a lot more supplies in RS3, you have to realize that there are also a lot more demands for said item. As of my time of posting, in rs2007 there are 2469 people that are able to smith Runite ore, and in rs3 there are currently 130425 people with the skill to use Runeite ore. Yes, I realize not everyone with the ability to use it will, but again, just one example. That's nearly a 53/1 ratio. This can be seen with nearly any skill. So while production is higher in RS3, so is the demand, and it just happens to be scaled to the point where the 2 markets are similar enough to use the same mechanics.
hammer man25
hammer man25

Back to top Go down

Post by wizardian20 9/4/2015, 5:22 pm

I don't think you're seeing my point, I assume I was not clear.

The issue is not about a difference in supply/demand as you are correct they are similar proportionately but I addressed that. Just as there is 1 in 07 for every 53 in RS3 there is also 1 runite bar smelter and 1 rune platebody smither for every 53 in RS3 respectively, if you catch my drift.

The only tangible difference is in ban rate and this is not speculative or something that is simply accounted for or factored in, it makes the two games separate. However you may end up being correct as early as the time I write this, as I can only imagine Jagex would wish to balance its ban rates to limit an issue I am referring to, which allows easier cheating/earning/manipulating of a points/currency that is in lower supply with relatively the same demand.

Also, is no credit being afforded the simple fact that 07 players rate of change of skill levels, albeit self-reported data thus not totally reliable but consistent across the two games, is much higher, suggesting the increased 'elite'ism of the 07 populous? It would be like if there were two runescapes, 1 called RS3 for the new player, and 1 called 07 for a returning vet or the occasional new player who wishes to add challenge (else why as a new player use 07??). Wait, that is the case. Smile
wizardian20
wizardian20
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Phileep 9/4/2015, 6:29 pm

I agree that there are fundamental difference in the two economies, but I don't believe that that fundamentally changes flipping. You could, indeed, make a case that investing in the two economies is different, but honestly that isn't much different from making a case that investing in one item is different from investing in another item—when investing you have to consider all the nuances of the item and economy in question anyway. I still don't see the necessity of the guides you're envisioning.
Phileep
Phileep
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by wizardian20 9/4/2015, 9:31 pm

Fair, i'm grasping for straws at this point...

Will all you kind fellas join me in starting a decent number of actively updated OSRS flipping and investing logs with a variety of items? We could even make a smokinmils challenge (im sure they mustve done this already) such that each person starts with 1m or 10m and by the honor system are held to only flip/invest and then various awards at the end of a month or something? Like most efficient, most total profit, etc.
wizardian20
wizardian20
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by hammer man25 10/4/2015, 1:05 am

wizardian20 wrote:Fair, i'm grasping for straws at this point...

Will all you kind fellas join me in starting a decent number of actively updated OSRS flipping and investing logs with a variety of items? We could even make a smokinmils challenge (im sure they mustve done this already) such that each person starts with 1m or 10m and by the honor system are held to only flip/invest and then various awards at the end of a month or something? Like most efficient, most total profit, etc.

I would be willing to do this as my time allows. As it is currently, my flips tend to be a bit more automated if you catch my drift, and those overnights/investments of mine I keep close at hand.
hammer man25
hammer man25

Back to top Go down

Post by Phileep 10/4/2015, 3:12 am

I've been working on making some improvements to contests behind the scenes, but sadly my work has been essentially confined to Rs3. Even so, the kind of "start with x go to y" contest that you're talking about should be fairly easily to arrange, but as hammer man's response may have hinted toward I think a lot of merchants here are trying to keep their "aces in the hole" hidden for now. Mmm... I'd give it a shot, of course, if we were to attract enough contestants.
Phileep
Phileep
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by wizardian20 11/4/2015, 1:51 am

Should be interesting to get this going, though I have no idea how to set up a contest. Shall I PM a mod or something?

EDIT: As for the items people wish to keep secret... the contest is honor-based, meaning already there are a lot of unknowns, so it would not be unreasonable to assume for the time being a category in spoiler-fashion on the log that says miscellanious items and has the names and quantities blacked out or something... has to be a way.

Thanks
wizardian20
wizardian20
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by piramatrix 12/4/2015, 1:14 pm

did anyone call for a mod?? jk

hadn't noticed there where new messages on this thread the yesterday so excuse me for the late reply, but ig you want i could have a word with the appropriate managers /admin and hear what their take on the subject is
piramatrix
piramatrix

Back to top Go down

Post by Structures 1/6/2015, 1:34 pm

I find the main difference between rs3 and rs07 is the item limits. which means i tend to do more inactive flips, still nice profits though. Also you should check out rsbuddy graphs if you are going to merch seriously in osrs, they give at least an indicator of some accuracy to the movement of an items price., since jagex have not implemented this yet..

Structures
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by MerchTilIDie 2/6/2015, 9:15 pm

I haven't noticed a big difference between 07 and rs3 merching. I started with 1m when GE came out on 07 and now I'm at 30m. Flipping unf potions and herbs is relatively impossible considering every one and their mother tries to flip them and you will be under and overcut within 5 minutes of placing an offer in. People are satisfied with much smaller profit margins on so many items it gets ridiculous, so you pretty much have to find an item that not many people know about or think to flip if you want to make a good amount of money. That, or you can go with short term investing and update investing, which is a lot harder on 07 considering there aren't any graphs or a database to rely on, and for update investing you have to tune into the streams for a lot of the opportunities.
MerchTilIDie
MerchTilIDie
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down