Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How To Find Return From Investment Banks (Both Compounded & Non-Compounded)

+27
crispy kush
Amar14
Dazicle
KetchupFTW
Rider Skillz
Ayzhin
D00d69
gettxp1
NubCake
jokerman
dgrock104
Im Smarticle
Zammyslave
syprs
IdkWhatsRc
Kelly
Black
Snow
krakenbul
Phizzledawg
Attempt 9
Google
barrowdragon
Cald
SmokinCats
Daba
Lucky
31 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How To Find Return From Investment Banks (Both Compounded & Non-Compounded) Empty How To Find Return From Investment Banks (Both Compounded & Non-Compounded)

Post by Lucky 30/12/2011, 6:21 am

~`~`~How To Find Return From Investment Banks!~`~`~

Alrighty, I've been asked a a few times the past few days on how to figure out return from interest with investment banks and things similar in nature, so here is how I figure those problems out

A note before reading, this thread is full of colors.... literally there was some intense color coding going on when I wrote this up... Each color means the same thing throughout the entire thread so if the color orange represents the amount paid, any other orange text is showing where the initial amount paid would go when calculating your return.

~~~Non-Compounded Interest~~~

Non-Compounded Interest - Is a constant return from the interest rate on the initial amount no matter how long.... so 10% per day non-compounded of 100m would be 10m each day for however long and it adds 10M everyday no more or less

The formulas!

(Amount Paid){1+(interest rate)}^(Number of days)

Example

100m for 3 days at 10% interest

(100m){1+.1}^(3)=130M returned

Or easier way...

(Amount paid)(Interest rate)=X
X(Number of days)=Y
Y+(Amount paid)=Amount returned

Same Example

(100m)(.1)=10M
10M(3days)=30M
(30M)+100m=130M returned

~~~Compounded Interest~~~

Compounded Interest - This is when the return from the interest rate adds onto itself thus increasing the return with every day, so 10% compounded of 100m for 2 days.... the first day it's 10% of 100m so 10m is added... meaning 110m would be returned... for the 2nd day you would take 10% of 110m which is 11m and then the 3rd day you take 10% of 100M+10m+11m=121M which is 12.1M added etc etc

The Formulas!

Day 1: (Amount Paid){Interest Rate}=A
Day 2: (Amount Paid+A){Interest Rate}=B
Day 3: (Amount Paid+A+B){Interest Rate}=C
Return After 3 Days = (Amount Paid+A+B+C)
And so on until you reach the final day of investment

This is the most work intensive way but provided you don't do any rounding it is the most exact way.

So lets say this example..

100M for 3 days at 10%

Day 1: (100M){.1}=10M
Day 2: (100M+10M){.1}=11M
Day 3: (100M+10M+11M){.1}=12.1M
Return After 3 Days = (100M+10M+11M+12.1M)=133.1M

Note these next 2 ways are approximations only, NOT EXACT ANSWERS

(Amount Paid){1+(Interest Rate/Number of days)}^(Number of days*Number of days)

Notes on my simplifications:
This Color={Interest Rate/Number of days}
This Color={Number of days*Number of days}
This Color={1+Answer for this color}^Answer for this color

So using the same example...

(100M){1+(.1/3)}^(3*3)=
(100M){1+.0333333333333333}^(9)=
(100M){1.34327}=
~134.327M
(I rounded a bit... for more exact answers don't round at all Razz)

Or....

Note in this formula I use the constant "e" which has a value of ~2.71828182845905
(Amount Paid)e^{Interest Rate*Number of days}

Notes on my simplifications:
This Color={Interest Rate*Number of days}
This Color=e^Answer for this color

So using the same example...

(100M)e^{.1*3}=
(100M)e^{.3}=
(100M){1.35}=
~135M

The issue with this method is that it isn't as exact as the first method because of the constant "e" as well as other factors that would take much much longer to explain in detail for everyone to understand.

(I am sorry for the ludicrous amount of color coding here... it took forever due to the sheer volume >.<)
Lucky
Lucky
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

How To Find Return From Investment Banks (Both Compounded & Non-Compounded) Empty Re: How To Find Return From Investment Banks (Both Compounded & Non-Compounded)

Post by Daba 30/12/2011, 6:23 am

You get brownie points for all that color coding.
Daba
Daba
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

How To Find Return From Investment Banks (Both Compounded & Non-Compounded) Empty Re: How To Find Return From Investment Banks (Both Compounded & Non-Compounded)

Post by SmokinCats 30/12/2011, 6:25 am

You get migrane points from me! Very Happy Good job!
SmokinCats
SmokinCats
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cald 30/12/2011, 6:25 am

I've stickied this thread as I'm sure it will be of great use to people who are about to start up an investment bank.
Cald
Cald
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky 30/12/2011, 6:35 am

Daba wrote:You get brownie points for all that color coding.

Thank you I suppose Daba Razz

SmokinCats wrote:You get migrane points from me! Very Happy Good job!

You wonder how coding all this was xD

Cald wrote:I've stickied this thread as I'm sure it will be of great use to people who are about to start up an investment bank.

Cheers Cald Very Happy
Lucky
Lucky
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 30/12/2011, 7:38 am

I added this to my favorites. I will definitely use these ways.

+rep

Back to top Go down

Post by barrowdragon 30/12/2011, 7:50 am

Holy crap... thats a lot of words
barrowdragon
barrowdragon
Forum Master (1500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Google 30/12/2011, 10:01 am

Ah the wonders of mathematics... Razz

Yeah, I can see how this guide would be useful, and the colour coding is really nice too. Wink
Google
Google
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

https://soundcloud.com/theruse

Back to top Go down

Post by Attempt 9 30/12/2011, 11:26 am

+rep to you, nice in depth guide and it looks like you put a lot of time and effort into it as well Smile
Attempt 9
Attempt 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Phizzledawg 30/12/2011, 12:53 pm

Good work. I found non-compounded easy enough when I opened my lending thread but compounded is just a mind fuck to think about!

Pretty colours too Razz
Phizzledawg
Phizzledawg
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by krakenbul 30/12/2011, 1:13 pm

I didn't even bother to read it, lol. That's partly because I know how it works and because this seems "overexplained" to me, lol. I'm currently working on my own project to create a calculator for this (the application is coded in C++ and I suck at C++).
krakenbul
krakenbul
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Snow 30/12/2011, 2:47 pm

OoOoO pretty.

I usually just pull numbers off the top of my head... but I guess I could try a formula every now and then.
Snow
Snow
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky 30/12/2011, 3:57 pm

krakenbul wrote:I didn't even bother to read it, lol. That's partly because I know how it works and because this seems "overexplained" to me, lol. I'm currently working on my own project to create a calculator for this (the application is coded in C++ and I suck at C++).

Better overexplained than underexplained Razz

Snow wrote:OoOoO pretty.

I usually just pull numbers off the top of my head... but I guess I could try a formula every now and then.

I don't know why but I got a good laugh from this one.....

For those noting all the colors.... yes I put a decent amount time into it... xD ~1.5hours of coding.. xD I wasn't 100% focused but still Razz
Lucky
Lucky
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Black 30/12/2011, 4:49 pm

i still hate maths but +rep for the help
Black
Black
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly 30/12/2011, 5:01 pm

VERY colorful and VERY helpful! Thanks for the information, Lucky Very Happy
Kelly
Kelly
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by IdkWhatsRc 5/1/2012, 6:44 pm

Lucky wrote:

The formulas!

(Amount Paid){1+(interest rate)}^(Number of days)

Example

100m for 3 days at 10% interest

(100m){1+.1}^(3)=130M returned

I think there's a mistake there.

If you try your example, 100M (1+0.1)^3 = 100M * 1,331 = 133.1M
Which doesn't work.

Shouldn't it be : Amount Paid(1+(interest rate*Number of days))

If you use that forumal, it works: 100M (1+ (0.1*3)) = 100M (1.3) = 130M

+rep if it helped Very Happy
IdkWhatsRc
IdkWhatsRc
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by syprs 9/1/2012, 4:40 am

Not sure where the term non-compounded is from; there is Compounded Interest and Simple Interest.

A=Investment
i=Interest rate (as a decimal, 10% = 0.10)
n=# of days

Simple Interest:
Profit = A*i*n
Total Return = A(1+i*n)
Source/Calculator

Compound Interest:
Profit = A*(1+i)^n - A
Total Return = A*(1+i)^n
Source/Calculator

The calculator assumes the interest rate is given as interest per year, which is why the compound is annual as oppose to daily

syprs
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Zammyslave 9/1/2012, 1:51 pm

This is good to know. Easy maths, but still. Thank you for your contribution.
Zammyslave
Zammyslave
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

How To Find Return From Investment Banks (Both Compounded & Non-Compounded) Empty Where and how?

Post by Im Smarticle 4/2/2012, 9:55 pm

Hey, im new to this forum, where do i invest into people and how? also is it safe? Surprised
Im Smarticle
Im Smarticle
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

How To Find Return From Investment Banks (Both Compounded & Non-Compounded) Empty Where and how?

Post by Im Smarticle 4/2/2012, 10:02 pm

Hey, im new to this forum, where do i invest into people and how? also is it safe? Surprised
Im Smarticle
Im Smarticle
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by IdkWhatsRc 4/2/2012, 10:08 pm

Im Smarticle wrote:Hey, im new to this forum, where do i invest into people and how? also is it safe? Surprised

You better read this:
http://www.smokinelite.com/t42715-rules-for-this-section
http://www.smokinelite.com/t38255-how-to-stay-safe
IdkWhatsRc
IdkWhatsRc
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by dgrock104 8/2/2012, 6:50 am

so is this an alternate money making method for the lender(s)?

dgrock104
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by jokerman 28/2/2012, 11:51 am

SO COOL now i just have to get rid of my headace amd try
jokerman
jokerman
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by NubCake 28/2/2012, 1:06 pm

Or this version, with your example:

NON-COMPOUNDED:
-To find the amount of money you'll be getting every day, multiply the interest rate times the amount paid. (.1*100=10)
-Multiply your answer by the number of days in the investment to get to get the total amount that you will gain. (10*3=30)
-Add this on to the amount paid to get what the banker should give back. (30+100=130)

COMPOUNDED:
1. Multiply the amount of money paid by the investment rate, then add your answer back to the amount paid. (100*.1=10. 10+100=110)
2. Now, for the second day, it will be as if you had invested 110m with the same interest rate. Repeat step 1. (110*.1=11. 11+110=121)
3. Repeat this process for as many days as are in the investment. (3rd day: 121*.1=12.1. 12.1+121=133.1)

NubCake
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by gettxp1 2/3/2012, 6:18 am

I think I mist invest this way... cuz I don't know if I can do flipping...
gettxp1
gettxp1
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next