Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Timezones Affect Merchanting -- RS Player Logger II

+32
spookyman166
Kitty Alex
austint16
stakes20
armadylian
Peters
MinhZor
ChevChelios
cornears
luckprism
wllen1
trscene
dawson
chaostank88
RohitJ2307
ITIint
Hunter7_4_6
D avy
czerny8
johnblue2222
Wiggles
Aiiight
-=Tubinater=-
tzhaar125
Cototo
iSMOOTH
Hunter Clan0
Daxaal
Lucky
Magic Pixel
mypet tr0ll
bs merchants
36 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How Timezones Affect Merchanting -- RS Player Logger II Empty How Timezones Affect Merchanting -- RS Player Logger II

Post by bs merchants 26/5/2012, 1:42 pm

For those of you who have VIP Tier 2 Guides access, cross-referencing to Snow's thread http://www.smokinelite.com/t47773-tier-two-s-time-of-day-vs-investing-dumping-flipping-and-manipulation-guide may prove useful.

Runescape has always been affected by the number of players currently online; whether it be minigames, pking, skilling, PvM or merchanting. I remember back in my newbie days how Castle Wars on world 24 always had a good 300+ players when all the american kids got back from school and logged on, but the place was nearly deserted earlier on. Recently in the IRC, Boltions mentioned how cool it would be to have a program that logged the number of players playing RS through time in an attempt to draw conclusions on when the best time for various stages of merchanting would be. It seemed like a nice task to do so I brushed off my PHP and VB skills and put this logger together.

How Timezones Affect Merchanting -- RS Player Logger II ClickHereAnimated-1

What is this?
This is a website which hosts a graphical representation of the number of players online playing Runescape at any one point in time. I have a script running nearly 24/7 on my home PC taking recordings every 10 minutes, uploading the data it collects each time.

All times are currently in GMT+1, however I plan to make this adaptable for all timezones.

There are a few nice uses for this system.
  • It is very useful for anyone that isn't sure when is best to buy and sell for semi inactive flips. When flipping or just buying/selling things on the grand exchange the number of players makes a difference to the prices. For instance if there is a lot of players playing then there will be a greater supply of things like dragon bones/hides and other drops. This lowers the prices slightly at these peak times. When there is very few players playing there is less supply of the items so the price rises, the average players will buy items for whatever it takes to get the item, so it is best to sell when few players are online.
  • It will be interesting to see returns of Bots/Optimus. By now most of the major bots have returned so it will be interesting to see when those bots are active or updating to combat the latest update so we can see what percentage of the Runescape population are legitimate players.

The site has only been up for a week now and has already begun to demonstrate a typical full 24 hour cycle. We can also see an increase of ~25,000 online players on a weekend compared to a weekday.

Please take minute to look at the site and give some feedback on my work:)

On a side note: I am currently trying to collect data on how much the margins and prices of a typical, stable item fluctuates within a 24-48 hour period to see if there are any strong correlations with how many online players there were.
bs merchants
bs merchants
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

Back to top Go down

How Timezones Affect Merchanting -- RS Player Logger II Empty Re: How Timezones Affect Merchanting -- RS Player Logger II

Post by mypet tr0ll 26/5/2012, 1:49 pm

This is 100% safe guys and is one of the best tools you can have as a merchant.

Been using it for a while now, thanks and +repped.
mypet tr0ll
mypet tr0ll
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

How Timezones Affect Merchanting -- RS Player Logger II Empty Re: How Timezones Affect Merchanting -- RS Player Logger II

Post by Magic Pixel 26/5/2012, 2:05 pm

Wow this tool is super useful! I'll try to flip when there are less players on Smile for bigger margins. Anyways +rep!
Magic Pixel
Magic Pixel
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky 26/5/2012, 4:07 pm

Moved as requested
Lucky
Lucky
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Daxaal 27/5/2012, 1:50 am

Very useful =D I finally have an answer to finding the low peaks of population on runescape and at what time

Thank you so much for the graph
Daxaal
Daxaal
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunter Clan0 27/5/2012, 11:17 am

Excellent tool Very Happy +rep

Hunter Clan0
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by iSMOOTH 27/5/2012, 3:29 pm

So helpfull, i can't thank you enough!

iSMOOTH
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Daxaal 28/5/2012, 1:45 pm

But wait wouldn't it be better to Buy items when hardly anyone is one because the demand for those items would be less and it would be easier to buy compared to the times when there are a lot of players that are wanting thse items in high demand causing them to go up in price? Or why do you believe it's the other way around?
Daxaal
Daxaal
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by bs merchants 28/5/2012, 7:48 pm

Daxaal wrote:But wait wouldn't it be better to Buy items when hardly anyone is one because the demand for those items would be less and it would be easier to buy compared to the times when there are a lot of players that are wanting thse items in high demand causing them to go up in price? Or why do you believe it's the other way around?

The margins are generally larger when less players are on, but the price fluctuates too. This is an interesting point that I (and others) have been debating for some time now. When I get enough time, I plan to record the margins on a few fairly stable items over 48 hours to see just what affect (if any) the current number of online players has on them.
bs merchants
bs merchants

Back to top Go down

Post by Cototo 29/5/2012, 9:14 pm

really cool my friend, ill take ur tool forever Smile

Cototo
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by tzhaar125 30/5/2012, 5:59 pm

incredibly helpful +rep
tzhaar125
tzhaar125
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by -=Tubinater=- 31/5/2012, 5:18 am

Tanks:) thet site is very useful! tanks agin:Wink Very Happy

-=Tubinater=-
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Aiiight 3/6/2012, 12:42 am

this seems really nice, im going to use it +rep

Aiiight
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Wiggles 4/6/2012, 8:16 am

I just started flipping so I don't really know how to use this to my advantage yet, but thanks for the tool that may help in the future.

I'm going to experiment and see what changes when less people are online.

Wiggles
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by johnblue2222 6/6/2012, 9:56 pm

Thank you! Great website and a great tool, so helpful Very Happy

johnblue2222
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by czerny8 8/6/2012, 1:06 am

thanks heaps man!

czerny8
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by D avy 16/6/2012, 12:08 pm

+rep, amazing tool, have been thinking about that but never could figure out what were crowded and uncrowded times, truly amazing Very Happy
D avy
D avy
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunter7_4_6 16/6/2012, 1:41 pm

intresting diddent think of this
Hunter7_4_6
Hunter7_4_6
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

http://www.threadbombing.com/tiles.php?image=5522

Back to top Go down

Post by ITIint 26/6/2012, 10:37 am

This is brilliant, I have always wandered if anyone was documenting this, but have never found anything. This will help for staking, because I can go on at peak times.

+rep
ITIint
ITIint
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by RohitJ2307 26/6/2012, 10:18 pm

that really does affect flipping :O
thanks Smile

RohitJ2307
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by chaostank88 26/6/2012, 10:54 pm

Never really thought about this, good tip.

chaostank88
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by dawson 30/6/2012, 6:00 pm

Cool it looks like any time from 10-13 aclock is when less players are on

dawson
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by trscene 1/7/2012, 12:16 pm

Wow really useful already added the link to favorites, going to use it everytime.I will be marching, thnx sir. Repped*
trscene
trscene
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by wllen1 23/7/2012, 3:03 pm

this is weird, but I dont think that the timezone has a link with price....

You see, the morning price is lower than the one in the afternoon.

wllen1
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by luckprism 23/7/2012, 10:31 pm

damn most uncroded times is between 2-3 am for me ._.
atleast between 1-4pm is its still pretty uncrowded but not like 2-3 am :/
luckprism
luckprism
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next