Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about RAM

4 posters

Go down

Question about RAM Empty Question about RAM

Post by uwilldie169 17/12/2012, 12:05 am

Should i buy 4 gb of ram for my computer i only have 2 at the moment and will it make my computer faster?

uwilldie169
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Question about RAM Empty Re: Question about RAM

Post by Bom 17/12/2012, 12:23 am

RAM doesn't really affect performance but with 2GB I'd certainly recommend upgrading to 4GB, and if you're willing to spend slightly more, 8GB. 2GB is very low.
Bom
Bom
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by uwilldie169 17/12/2012, 12:26 am

Bom wrote:RAM doesn't really affect performance but with 2GB I'd certainly recommend upgrading to 4GB, and if you're willing to spend slightly more, 8GB. 2GB is very low.
if i get the 4 gb i will have a total of 6gb is that good?
what will make my computer the fastest?

uwilldie169
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Bom 17/12/2012, 9:47 am

uwilldie169 wrote:
Bom wrote:RAM doesn't really affect performance but with 2GB I'd certainly recommend upgrading to 4GB, and if you're willing to spend slightly more, 8GB. 2GB is very low.

Make sure you RAM is compatible with the motherboard & processor of your Computer to ensure it works.

If it were me, I'd get 8GB of RAM. For speed, you want to change the processor, and perhaps change the Graphics card as well. There are plenty of options out there, it all depends how much you're willing to spend.
Bom
Bom
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by uwilldie169 17/12/2012, 4:55 pm

Bom wrote:
uwilldie169 wrote:

Make sure you RAM is compatible with the motherboard & processor of your Computer to ensure it works.

If it were me, I'd get 8GB of RAM. For speed, you want to change the processor, and perhaps change the Graphics card as well. There are plenty of options out there, it all depends how much you're willing to spend.

Is there a certain graphic card i could need for my computer? also how much are they usually.
How much was a new processor be?

uwilldie169
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by cntr 18/12/2012, 4:54 am

graphics cards range from $50 to over $1000 most in the range of about 100-400 and that is about the same as processors but u need to make sure that u have enough ram slots first of all if u are upgrading ram and second depending on what you are doing that will only improve certain things.
cntr
cntr
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by uwilldie169 18/12/2012, 2:23 pm

cntr wrote:graphics cards range from $50 to over $1000 most in the range of about 100-400 and that is about the same as processors but u need to make sure that u have enough ram slots first of all if u are upgrading ram and second depending on what you are doing that will only improve certain things.
Currently i had 4 ram slots and i am using two of them both have 1GB in them

uwilldie169
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by attk master 19/12/2012, 3:21 am

RAM is for handling the switching of programs, it is temporary memory for programs, when you switch from your browser to itunes for example the ram will work to switch that as fast as it can. as you have 4 slots you should be able to support up to 32gb, i'd recommend at least 6gb, use this tool to find some:

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

a new CPU will speed up your computer, this is not an easy thing to replace, you've got to strip your computer down to the motherboard and take of the cooler and or heatsink (if laptop it's much harder and not recommended if you're not tech savvy, on a desktop it's easy but you should be careful)

you must have a compatible CPU for it to work, if you have a desktop then you must ask the manufacturer of your motherboard or ask another person that knows what CPU is compatible, if you have a laptop you must ask the manufacturer, if you have a laptop and its toshiba you can forget about that if you don't want to call tech support.

if you decide to replace the CPU then you must watch a video, and a special compound called thermal grease is needed to put on the top of the metal cover to disperse heat, replacing the CPU is a complex process.

the graphics card is much more simple if you have a desktop, you just have to find one that will fit in your case and that is compatible with your motherboard, if it's a laptop you're going to have an extremely hard time finding a mobile GPU for sale, even then it's not guaranteed that it will have a port for one. the graphics card is for handling games and movies and what not, the better it is the higher frame rate you'll have and the higher resolution you can have it at, depending on your GPU it can speed your computer up as for the gaming aspect, if you have intel HD 3000 upgrading to anything recent is better. but if you have just that then you most likely don't have a GPU port. and replacing the GPU is as complex as replacing the CPU.

sorry for the wall of info :p
attk master
attk master
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down