Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Computer!

4 posters

Go down

Custom Computer! Empty Custom Computer!

Post by Shlong_Flap 13/7/2013, 12:57 pm

Hey, guys!
At the moment I'm trying to make my own computer! I've so far made it as I think I'd like it, if you see any comparability errors, or any faults i've made in general just let me know and it'd be vastly appreciated! If you can suggest anything just let me know and i'll look into it! I'm willing to spend 1.7-1.8k. (Currently $1,741.)
My current build:
pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=168839&action=wish_lists
Shlong_Flap
Shlong_Flap
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Custom Computer! Empty Re: Custom Computer!

Post by Wutz 13/7/2013, 1:26 pm

You should upgrade to a hashwell processor instead Smile
Wutz
Wutz
Forum Addict (750 posts)
Forum Addict (750 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Shlong_Flap 13/7/2013, 1:32 pm

Just curious, what's a hashwell processor?
Shlong_Flap
Shlong_Flap
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by attk master 13/7/2013, 9:04 pm

Shlong_Flap wrote:Just curious, what's a hashwell processor?

A "Haswell" processor is the latest of the Intel processors, it's the newer 4th gen. They are a tick upgrade to that means they change some of the inner working and what not, this generation of processors majorly benefits laptops rather than desktops though as they have major power saving improvements. The next generation will be a tock upgrade which is where they change the lithography of the processor.

As for the configuration

$140 USD for 1600mhz ram is outrageous, consider this instead http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186_218_1125&products_id=23124 (make sure your motherboard can handle 2133mhz. Consider a lite-on iHAS dvd drive, they tend to be better and cheaper. Also you should get a 4th gen i5-4670k, it's $10 AUD more, you will also need a different motherboard as it's an LGA1150 socket rather than LGA1155.
attk master
attk master
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Shlong_Flap 14/7/2013, 1:05 pm

I've written this message out 4 times now and it's not posting. >Sad

I'm not really worried about the power saving options to be quite honest, it'll be off most nights and not on all day, so I won't need to worry about that as much.

The trouble with getting the 8GB ram over the 16 is the fact i'll basically just need more than 8 to run programs.. If I plan on playing BF3 i'm going to need more than 8GB, if I want to render video's i'll probably need upto 8, although.. would having a higher speed ram decrease the need of having such high amount? eg: would 8GB of 2133 Mhz, be almost equal to 16GB of 1600? (I'm a bit new Razz)

If I were to add on a new processor, i'd have to swap over the mother board to fit in with the ram and 1150 socket, which would most likely exceed the $1,800 limit i'd assume.

Also, if I were to get a new mobo would I need to worry about going into the site and looking for compatible ram, or would I simply just see if the speed is compatible? Eg: I went into the ASRock site specifically to check the ram compatible with the motherboard, then chose the one which had 16gb, 1600MHZ, the ram I was originally going to get wasn't on the compatible list.. Is that just a suggestion of the ram to use, or is that the ONLY ram you can use with the mother board? Smile
I went to this site to check mine: asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z77%20Professional/?cat=Memory

Also, I just had a look at some of the 1150 chip set boards, basically all of them are Micro Atx boards? Could they come in regular ATX? I was just worried something might not fit in.
Shlong_Flap
Shlong_Flap
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Minato 14/7/2013, 5:09 pm

Yes you can run the ram, but it will be downclocked.

Minato
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Shlong_Flap 15/7/2013, 1:16 am

mina951 wrote:Yes you can run the ram, but it will be downclocked.

What do you mean, downclocked? It will be downclocked because it's not on that specific list?

My motherboard itself supports up to 2800(OC)'d ram, so, if it's not Overclocked it will only allow upto 1600? I'll link you to my motherboard you can take a better look, but i'm assuming it's meaning unless I oc my 1600MHZ ram it won't allow any higher? Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Motherboard:
pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=19869
Ram:
pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=23124
Shlong_Flap
Shlong_Flap
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Minato 15/7/2013, 2:45 pm

Shlong_Flap wrote:
Also, if I were to get a new mobo would I need to worry about going into the site and looking for compatible ram, or would I simply just see if the speed is compatible?
...1600MHZ, the ram I was originally going to get wasn't on the compatible list..

I just meant that you do not need worry about looking for another RAM. If your Motherborad can handle for example 1333MHz MAX and you put in 1600MHz then it is going to be downclocked to 1333MHz. Just make sure you use DDR3 not DDR2 or DDR RAM. Trollface 

Your current RAM and Motherboard are compatible as far as I see although I do not claim to be all knowing.

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc <---- Check it out and post your build. Planning on building a computer but need some advice? This is the place to ask!

Minato
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by attk master 15/7/2013, 7:40 pm

Shlong_Flap wrote:I've written this message out 4 times now and it's not posting. >Sad

I'm not really worried about the power saving options to be quite honest, it'll be off most nights and not on all day, so I won't need to worry about that as much.

The trouble with getting the 8GB ram over the 16 is the fact i'll basically just need more than 8 to run programs.. If I plan on playing BF3 i'm going to need more than 8GB, if I want to render video's i'll probably need upto 8, although.. would having a higher speed ram decrease the need of having such high amount? eg: would 8GB of 2133 Mhz, be almost equal to 16GB of 1600? (I'm a bit new Razz)

If I were to add on a new processor, i'd have to swap over the mother board to fit in with the ram and 1150 socket, which would most likely exceed the $1,800 limit i'd assume.

Also, if I were to get a new mobo would I need to worry about going into the site and looking for compatible ram, or would I simply just see if the speed is compatible? Eg: I went into the ASRock site specifically to check the ram compatible with the motherboard, then chose the one which had 16gb, 1600MHZ, the ram I was originally going to get wasn't on the compatible list.. Is that just a suggestion of the ram to use, or is that the ONLY ram you can use with the mother board? Smile
I went to this site to check mine: asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z77%20Professional/?cat=Memory

Also, I just had a look at some of the 1150 chip set boards, basically all of them are Micro Atx boards? Could they come in regular ATX? I was just worried something might not fit in.

A higher RAM frequency means better performance from the ram. Unless it's like 16gb 1333mhz vs 8gb 2800mhz I don't think a higher frequency will do too much use, but I haven't been able to test this myself so I am not sure. I know dominator platinum is one of the best, if not the best RAM out there though and it will perform nicely, if you can find 1600/1888mhz RAM (try for corsair vengeance) then maybe go with that. The motherboard manufacturer has a list of compatible ram at higher frequencies, I don't think you need to worry about it if it's a lower frequency, just make sure it can handle that frequency and the specs work with the motherboard, it's best to find the motherboard 1st then find the ram as it's just easier. As for ATX vs MATX the difference is mainly size, the MATX board will have less PCI slots because of the smaller size. Whatever the case specifies it supports will fit best int he case, although you can find some nice MATX cases if you're willing to switch.
attk master
attk master
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Shlong_Flap 16/7/2013, 1:45 am

mina951 wrote:
Shlong_Flap wrote:
Also, if I were to get a new mobo would I need to worry about going into the site and looking for compatible ram, or would I simply just see if the speed is compatible?
...1600MHZ, the ram I was originally going to get wasn't on the compatible list..

I just meant that you do not need worry about looking for another RAM. If your Motherborad can handle for example 1333MHz MAX and you put in 1600MHz then it is going to be downclocked to 1333MHz. Just make sure you use DDR3 not DDR2 or DDR RAM. Trollface 

Your current RAM and Motherboard are compatible as far as I see although I do not claim to be all knowing.

[url=http:/reddit.com/r/buildapc]http:/reddit.com/r/buildapc[/url] <---- Check it out and post your build. Planning on building a computer but need some advice? This is the place to ask!

Aaah! Now I get it! :DThanks for clearing it up!
Shlong_Flap
Shlong_Flap
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Shlong_Flap 16/7/2013, 1:47 am

attk master wrote:
Shlong_Flap wrote:I've written this message out 4 times now and it's not posting. >Sad

A higher RAM frequency means better performance from the ram. Unless it's like 16gb 1333mhz vs 8gb 2800mhz I don't think a higher frequency will do too much use, but I haven't been able to test this myself so I am not sure. I know dominator platinum is one of the best, if not the best RAM out there though and it will perform nicely, if you can find 1600/1888mhz RAM (try for corsair vengeance) then maybe go with that. The motherboard manufacturer has a list of compatible ram at higher frequencies, I don't think you need to worry about it if it's a lower frequency, just make sure it can handle that frequency and the specs work with the motherboard, it's best to find the motherboard 1st then find the ram as it's just easier. As for ATX vs MATX the difference is mainly size, the MATX board will have less PCI slots because of the smaller size. Whatever the case specifies it supports will fit best int he case, although you can find some nice MATX cases if you're willing to switch.  

Aha! I see! So, the difference between 8gb of 2133 and 16gb of 1600, the 1600 would most likely come out ontop purely from the quantity?

Oh, alright, so everything would fit perfectly fine in there, eg; graphics card, sound card, etc. My case can handle both MATX and ATX, so I don't think it will really matter Razz
Shlong_Flap
Shlong_Flap
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Shlong_Flap 16/7/2013, 1:50 am

attk master wrote:

Aha! I see! So, the difference between 8gb of 2133 and 16gb of 1600, the 1600 would most likely come out ontop purely from the quantity?

Oh, alright, so everything would fit perfectly fine in there, eg; graphics card, sound card, etc. My case can handle both MATX and ATX, so I don't think it will really matter Razz
Shlong_Flap
Shlong_Flap
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down