Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warning! New type of scam!

+2
Phileep
Vallaquenta
6 posters

Go down

Warning! New type of scam! Empty Warning! New type of scam!

Post by Vallaquenta 1/11/2013, 6:22 pm

I've just encountered this scam twice today. Basically what happens is, when buying rares/high valuables is the following:

You're buying item X, for example a Santa hat. Person Y will trade you and will agree with your offer. Person Y is typing a lot in trade so you lose focus of the trade screen. He'll decline a few times. At this point I started to get cautious already. Then when he trade me a last time I put in the money for item X and he gave me 2 teleport tablets claiming "the item is on my main". First time I almost fell for it.

So once again; be cautious when trading. This is one of the more thought out scams I've seen lately.
Vallaquenta
Vallaquenta
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Warning! New type of scam! Empty Re: Warning! New type of scam!

Post by Phileep 1/11/2013, 7:24 pm

It's called a tab scam, and it's not new at all. My suggestion for avoiding it is to never leave the ge, or consider offers of a similar nature.

(P.S. You sure post a lot...)
Phileep
Phileep
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by [ADMIN] Mr J 1/11/2013, 8:02 pm

Thanks for the info Vallaquenta. Knowing about the scams out there is always useful
[ADMIN] Mr J
[ADMIN] Mr J
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Vallaquenta 1/11/2013, 8:28 pm

Phileep wrote:It's called a tab scam, and it's not new at all. My suggestion for avoiding it is to never leave the ge, or consider offers of a similar nature.

(P.S. You sure post a lot...)
Well, I've been away from a long time (WoW actually has a very interesting market mechanic as well) Razz

And well, I didn't really know that it was new. In the past few weeks I've been back I've never seen it before Surprised
Vallaquenta
Vallaquenta
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Oxodium 2/11/2013, 1:00 pm

This scam is going on in W2 rare trading spot alot, they trade the rare, you offer cash, then they start talking in the chat, so you lose concentration on the trade window, then they will trade back, do the same thing, only add two camelot/falador teleport tabs and attempt to accept the trade. Thanks for posting this, though, it will help users who haven't seen/heard of this scam to not fall for it.

Oxodium
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rrezz 2/11/2013, 1:10 pm

I don't know how you can fall for this?

They clearly SHOW you that they have the rare in the first trade.

After they decline they say it's on there main...??

I don't think to many people would fall for this.

I think things like Maple logs instead of yew, big bones instead of D bones etc, have a much higher success rate of scamming somebody.

But either way thanks for sharing.

Rrezz
Rrezz
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Yamiteh 2/11/2013, 1:21 pm

Happened to me a while ago.
Some guy came in 90weaps pc friend chat and started spamming buying 90 weaps cheap quitting pm me.
I pmed him, even though I knew it's probably scam and he told me to come his world.
Once I got there he opened a trade window and didn't offer up cash, but I offered my Off hand Drygore mace.
Then he started talking about how he made bills staking on his main and told me to meet his main in fally and offered fally teletab.

He hoped I would forgot my rare item is still up on the trade and would accept.. Similar to "free glories show inventory so I can see how many to give" scam.
Yamiteh
Yamiteh
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

http://www.smokinelite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down