Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is LoL a sport?

+17
KMV
Julian
Fuhai
Kelly
Smugleaf
gunmage8
Zombeh
WisdomStar
Upskirt
Daba
Venom
Broeder
Aezure
lil_me
celeritas0
Blood
Heartstop123
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

League of legends a sport?

Is LoL a sport? I_vote_lcap46%Is LoL a sport? I_vote_rcap 46% 
[ 13 ]
Is LoL a sport? I_vote_lcap54%Is LoL a sport? I_vote_rcap 54% 
[ 15 ]
Is LoL a sport? I_vote_lcap0%Is LoL a sport? I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 28

Is LoL a sport? Empty Is LoL a sport?

Post by Heartstop123 19/6/2014, 10:00 pm

Recovered Morris University just became the firstuniversity to make League of legends a part of their collegiate athletics department. Do you think LoL is a sport yes or no?

http://community.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/riot-official/MY0XlKAK-the-beginnings-of-leagues-first-varsity-team
Heartstop123
Heartstop123
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Is LoL a sport? Empty Re: Is LoL a sport?

Post by Blood 19/6/2014, 10:06 pm

Lacks physical exertion so no. Would be like saying the Mathletes team is a sport.
Blood
Blood
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by celeritas0 19/6/2014, 10:56 pm

LoL, from what I know of it, is a mental sport. There are other games in this category too, like Go, Chess, and Starcraft.

Certainly the competitive aspects of these and other mental sports are on par with "conventional" ones. Of course, as Blood said, one type is physical and one is not, but to me the above activities fit a more modern definition of "sports." Perhaps not the usual usage of the word, but I imagine in the future it will be.
celeritas0
celeritas0
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by lil_me 19/6/2014, 11:07 pm

maybe not a sport, but the word competition seems more fitting.
lil_me
lil_me
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Blood 20/6/2014, 12:38 am

celeritas0 wrote:LoL, from what I know of it, is a mental sport. There are other games in this category too, like Go, Chess, and Starcraft.

Certainly the competitive aspects of these and other mental sports are on par with "conventional" ones. Of course, as Blood said, one type is physical and one is not, but to me the above activities fit a more modern definition of "sports." Perhaps not the usual usage of the word, but I imagine in the future it will be.

This is the difference for me, I am an old man for my young age. I dislike how the term "sport" is used/defined and what all is included in the modern day under said term.
Blood
Blood
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by celeritas0 20/6/2014, 1:16 am

For what reason?
celeritas0
celeritas0
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Aezure 20/6/2014, 12:09 pm

No it's a competition, of which types include sports, esports, board games, etc...

Honestly it doesn't matter what you call it, just treat it like anything else with competitiveness (saying this as my old school's former Warhammer 40k Captain Razz).
Aezure
Aezure
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

http://5jungle.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Broeder 20/6/2014, 1:33 pm

There's a word for it, its called esport. It exists for a reason Smile
Broeder
Broeder
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by celeritas0 20/6/2014, 2:57 pm

I'm not sure I agree Aezure. It's not the same as anything with competitiveness. Certainly you wouldn't say LoL should be grouped with Tetris.

True Broeder, which is a subcategory of sport to my mind Razz More properly, I should have grouped LoL and Starcraft as esports, and Go and Chess as mind sports.
celeritas0
celeritas0
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Broeder 20/6/2014, 3:08 pm

If esport is a subcategory of sport, than define football and basketball etc as physical sports. But since you see those as just 'sports', its hard to see esports as a sport.

Same goes for mental sports
Broeder
Broeder
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Venom 20/6/2014, 3:30 pm

Whilst I would personally say that LoL is a sport because I view it as competing against people for an objective of winning.

The dictionary sort of says differently : an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
Taking the dictionary definition of sport I don't really count clicking buttons as physical exertion and in such case if that is the final definition of sport, then I will admit that LoL is in-fact not a sport.

However having said this, I think that perhaps the definition of sport may need to be redefined, that definition was probably introduced before there was even the possibility of competing on competitive level with electronic medium.

Finally I'd have to relate to a previous point about chess not being a sport which I don't agree with, as it is putting your own mental ability against someone else's and I don't believe the idea of sport is supposed to be limited to purely physical attributes.

Therefore based purely on my own opinion , I would classify LoL as a sport however I would also classify anything where you put your, or team's, ( As long as numbers are constant on both sides) own skill against another in a competitive manner as a sport.

My final definition of sport would be : an activity involving physical or mental exertion  and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
Venom
Venom

Back to top Go down

Post by Daba 20/6/2014, 3:31 pm

Blood wrote:Lacks physical exertion so no. Would be like saying the Mathletes team is a sport.
Daba
Daba
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Venom 20/6/2014, 3:33 pm

Daba wrote:
Blood wrote:Lacks physical exertion so no. Would be like saying the Mathletes team is a sport.
I only have a vague idea of what a mathlete is, fill me in? UK noob here
Venom
Venom

Back to top Go down

Post by celeritas0 20/6/2014, 3:54 pm

People that compete in mathematics competitions. Generally trying to solve problems quicker and more accurately than the other people.
celeritas0
celeritas0
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Upskirt 20/6/2014, 4:53 pm

How is it not a sport. There is no need for physical activity in a sport. A sport is a competition between parties who practice their skill to try and beat one another. Being a professional LoL player takes lots of hand eye coordination and lots of practice and awareness. I see no problem with calling it a sport.

Upskirt
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by lil_me 20/6/2014, 5:11 pm

Upskirt wrote:How is it not a sport. There is no need for physical activity in a sport. A sport is a competition between parties who practice their skill to try and beat one another. Being a professional LoL player takes lots of hand eye coordination and lots of practice and awareness. I see no problem with calling it a sport.

while I agree with that I've never seen a hockey game where they had to pause because someone's equipment ran out of batteries. Or him being there but suddenly disappearing because he disconnected.
lil_me
lil_me
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by celeritas0 20/6/2014, 6:09 pm

lil_me wrote:
Upskirt wrote:How is it not a sport. There is no need for physical activity in a sport. A sport is a competition between parties who practice their skill to try and beat one another. Being a professional LoL player takes lots of hand eye coordination and lots of practice and awareness. I see no problem with calling it a sport.

while I agree with that I've never seen a hockey game where they had to pause because someone's equipment ran out of batteries. Or him being there but suddenly disappearing because he disconnected.

Sure you have, people get injured all the time Razz Not to mention equipment breaks in lots of sports.
celeritas0
celeritas0
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by lil_me 20/6/2014, 8:33 pm

celeritas0 wrote:
lil_me wrote:

Sure you have, people get injured all the time Razz Not to mention equipment breaks in lots of sports.

ya and then you sub in a new player while the equipment is fixed. and what if a player couldnt make it to the stadium because his "internet was crap".
lil_me
lil_me
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by WisdomStar 20/6/2014, 8:56 pm

it is sport... it is e-sport Very Happy
WisdomStar
WisdomStar
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Zombeh 20/6/2014, 9:28 pm

lil_me wrote:
celeritas0 wrote:
lil_me wrote:

ya and then you sub in a new player while the equipment is fixed. and what if a player couldnt make it to the stadium because his "internet was crap".

most big events are done on lan servers not online
Zombeh
Zombeh
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

http://www.smokinelite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gunmage8 21/6/2014, 12:03 am

wisdomstar brings up a good point, what is the difference between sport and e-sport then?
gunmage8
gunmage8
Forum Addict (750 posts)
Forum Addict (750 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by celeritas0 21/6/2014, 12:20 am

gunmage8 wrote:wisdomstar brings up a good point, what is the difference between sport and e-sport then?

Not all sports require computers, but all e-sports do.
celeritas0
celeritas0
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Smugleaf 21/6/2014, 1:29 am

Typically if we're going by the definition of sport then no since there isn't much physical activity in hitting buttons sitting in a chair and clicking a mouse. However I do think that it can go under something like e-sport or mental sports since its a competitive environment, there's a large difference between the good and the great, and, it is, in a way a job. I'm going to be honest though if they want to consider it a full blown sport then let them. I'm curious to see where this goes.
Smugleaf
Smugleaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly 21/6/2014, 4:01 am

No, I do not think it's a sport.

Is LoL a sport? 4da55e62da67a1acea35ce45e397afa1

However, I feel besides the physical exertion, it has the capabilities of a sport: requiring teamwork, coordination, practice, and such. I feel League of Legends would be better classed as a competition of sort. Though, I can see the debate in it, though. Just like the debate of 'is chess considered a sport?' that has been a large controversy for a long time.

Just my opinion.
Kelly
Kelly
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Zombeh 21/6/2014, 4:44 am

SportAccord uses the following criteria, determining that a sport should

have an element of competition
   be in no way harmful to any living creature
   not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier (excluding proprietary games such as arena football)
   not rely on any "luck" element specifically designed into the sport

Wiki says it's a sport wiki knows all /thread
Zombeh
Zombeh
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

http://www.smokinelite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next