Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is LoL a sport?

+17
KMV
Julian
Fuhai
Kelly
Smugleaf
gunmage8
Zombeh
WisdomStar
Upskirt
Daba
Venom
Broeder
Aezure
lil_me
celeritas0
Blood
Heartstop123
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

League of legends a sport?

Is LoL a sport? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap46%Is LoL a sport? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 46% 
[ 13 ]
Is LoL a sport? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap54%Is LoL a sport? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 54% 
[ 15 ]
Is LoL a sport? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%Is LoL a sport? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 28

Is LoL a sport? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is LoL a sport?

Post by Fuhai 21/6/2014, 12:28 pm

As long they organise world championships for this game with such hype I think you can call it a sport. As Upskirt said, it takes a lot effort and practice to become a professional LoL player.
Fuhai
Fuhai
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Julian 22/6/2014, 2:23 pm

It's under "sports" on youtube so yea, it's a sport lol
Julian
Julian
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heartstop123 22/6/2014, 3:36 pm

wow, i am surprised how close the votes are. I didn't expect that many people to consider LoL a sport.  Shocked 
Heartstop123
Heartstop123
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Julian 22/6/2014, 5:32 pm

I didn't expect this many people to not lol
Julian
Julian
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by KMV 22/6/2014, 5:35 pm

lil_me wrote:
Upskirt wrote:How is it not a sport. There is no need for physical activity in a sport. A sport is a competition between parties who practice their skill to try and beat one another. Being a professional LoL player takes lots of hand eye coordination and lots of practice and awareness. I see no problem with calling it a sport.

while I agree with that I've never seen a hockey game where they had to pause because someone's equipment ran out of batteries. Or him being there but suddenly disappearing because he disconnected.
Ok except NO LCS/OGN/LPL/GPL team uses wireless equipment and if the lights go out its no different then how the power goes out in some football stadiums in the past.

KMV
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by fishingman71 28/6/2014, 7:10 am

I feel like it is a sport, being that it takes tons of practice, talent and time to become professional at it. Why not?
fishingman71
fishingman71
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Broeder 28/6/2014, 9:16 am

That also applies to cooking, carpenting and working in general depending on your definition of professional
Broeder
Broeder
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Yaoi 28/6/2014, 2:29 pm

League of legends is a sport, I don't think it's exactly necessary nowadays to have physical exertion with so many competitive games , I believe taking to too literal is the problem, in league there's more teamwork and synergy needed, split second decision making and talking going on. It requires attention to many different things , the map, your health and mana, your experience till level to pop that ult the second you get it. It's really a lot when you think of it and we do it all while the other opponent is doing his best to counter it.
Yaoi
Yaoi
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Frekwency 30/6/2014, 5:01 pm

Upskirt wrote:How is it not a sport. There is no need for physical activity in a sport. A sport is a competition between parties who practice their skill to try and beat one another. Being a professional LoL player takes lots of hand eye coordination and lots of practice and awareness. I see no problem with calling it a sport.

Unfortunately, you can't just decide what words mean. There are rules. The rules can be changed, but for now, League Of Legends is NOT a sport. It's an eSport.

Sport
noun
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
Frekwency
Frekwency
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly 30/6/2014, 6:43 pm

Frekwency wrote:

Unfortunately, you can't just decide what words mean. There are rules. The rules can be changed, but for now, League Of Legends is NOT a sport. It's an eSport.

Sport
noun
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Agreed. It falls under an eSport and/or competitive online activity Smile.

Kelly
Kelly
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by celeritas0 30/6/2014, 7:17 pm

Frekwency posted a dictionary definition, but that's not the last word on the matter, as there is no bureau of official English definitions. If you were looking for the definition of a technical scientific term, a well-regarded paper on the subject would provide a much more authoritative definition than a generic dictionary. Likewise, as Zombeh posted, SportAccord provides a more authoritative definition of "sport."
celeritas0
celeritas0
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by KMV 30/6/2014, 10:37 pm

Frekwency wrote:

Sport
noun

Ok by that logic some of those teams practice as much as 15 hours a day and it is physically exerting from all the yelling over the comes to all the muscles in your face.

KMV
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Broeder 30/6/2014, 10:50 pm

Everything is physical, definitions are simply not perfect and thats why we can have this discussion. Because the definition isnt air tight, theres room for your own opinion and thus no answer to this question.

Luckily we have a word that completely negates the discussion, as mentioned before. But hey, acknowledging that would make this discussion irrelevant and we wouldnt want that would we
Broeder
Broeder
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by celeritas0 30/6/2014, 11:14 pm

I thought the discussion was already "irrelevant" Razz We're not exactly going to take action depending on the result of this debate.

esport being accurate doesn't mean sport is inaccurate.
celeritas0
celeritas0
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Broeder 30/6/2014, 11:17 pm

the existence of esport being a word makes sport inaccurate Smile
and irrelevant might not be the best word, but couldnt come up with a better one
Broeder
Broeder
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heartstop123 30/6/2014, 11:35 pm

Broeder wrote:the existence of esport being a word makes sport inaccurate Smile
and irrelevant might not be the best word, but couldnt come up with a better one
I disagree, many different words have the same or very similar meanings.
Heartstop123
Heartstop123
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by celeritas0 1/7/2014, 1:09 am

I would think the opposite even, that people feeling "esport" is appropriate is an indication (and a strong one at that) to LoL being a sport. One wouldn't say macro-economics, despite being a specific field, is not economics. It's far more common for that sort of addition to indicate specificity within the broader category, than for it to indicate a completely different category.
celeritas0
celeritas0
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Broeder 1/7/2014, 7:40 am

Heartstop123 wrote:
That is certainly true, but is it true for esport and sport? Would you ever think about calling basketball an esport? Or football or baseball? Because if not then sport is an inaccurate word for esports
Broeder
Broeder
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by celeritas0 1/7/2014, 3:35 pm

Broeder wrote:
Heartstop123 wrote:
That is certainly true, but is it true for esport and sport? Would you ever think about calling basketball an esport? Or football or baseball? Because if not then sport is an inaccurate word for esports

No, you're right, you wouldn't. Apparently tennis and racquetball, being racquet sports, are not sports either. Actually it seems that most sports then aren't sports. Good to know Razz
celeritas0
celeritas0
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Broeder 1/7/2014, 3:51 pm

I dont follow?
Broeder
Broeder
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by celeritas0 1/7/2014, 4:32 pm

I don't follow you either. You wouldn't call basketball or baseball or football an esport, but how does that make any difference? You wouldn't call them racquet sports either, so does that mean sport is an inaccurate word for racquet sports?
celeritas0
celeritas0
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Broeder 1/7/2014, 4:35 pm

Since we have the word esport, sport is no longer the best fit for LoL and other electronical sports and as such sports isnt the most accurate definition anymore.

Whereas the difference with racquet sports is that, since you use 2 words, its sementically seen as a subclass of sports (giving more information) whereas esport isnt.
Broeder
Broeder
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by celeritas0 1/7/2014, 5:11 pm

Anymore? Are you saying they were sports until someone came up with the word esport?

Macroeconomics is a subclass of economics. One word.
celeritas0
celeritas0
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Broeder 1/7/2014, 6:51 pm

Im purely talking sementically, Esports is more accurate of a description than just sport. Since we got the word esports, sports is no longer the most accurate word to describe LoL etc. Im not saying they werent sports before or arent sports now just that before we had the word esports this discussion was worthwhile but since we have the word this discussion doesnt make sense Smile
Broeder
Broeder
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms. Santa 1/7/2014, 7:11 pm

Well, esports would classify under sports by that logic. Therefore anything classified under an esport (e.g. League) would be classified as an esport primarily, and then more broadly just a sport. The same as Tennis would be classified as a raquet sport, and then more broadly just a sport. Having the classification of an esport does not make the term sport irrelevant.

I'm sure thats what this topic is focused on. I'm sure nobody would deny that League is considered an esport. The real question however is an esport a sport? I would say yes.
Ms. Santa
Ms. Santa
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next