Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[New Champion] Gnar Discussion Thread!

+5
Julian
Smugleaf
Brutal Swede
piramatrix
Kelly
9 posters

Go down

[New Champion] Gnar Discussion Thread! Empty [New Champion] Gnar Discussion Thread!

Post by Julian 14/8/2014, 6:52 am

[New Champion] Gnar Discussion Thread! League_of_legends_gnar_splash_thumb

What are your thoughts on the new champion Gnar, the Missing Link? Below I'll post an IRC log of me and Connor talking about his viability. It should give you a good idea of how I feel about him after a game playing him (I know, I plan on playing many more to give a very good idea on his viability in this meta.

IRC Log:
Julian
Julian
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

[New Champion] Gnar Discussion Thread! Empty Re: [New Champion] Gnar Discussion Thread!

Post by Kelly 14/8/2014, 7:10 am

Waiting for roughly six-seven months worth of updates to install for my League client, but very eager to try him as well as the other newer Support champ (for the life of me can't think of his name, starts with a B I believe)

Also, y'all discussed Gnar as top or ADC, but what about med lane? Humor me I'm slightly out of the loop still Razz 
Kelly
Kelly
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

[New Champion] Gnar Discussion Thread! Empty Re: [New Champion] Gnar Discussion Thread!

Post by Julian 14/8/2014, 7:14 am

Braum

I'm not sure how he would do Mid. I'd have to try it before being sure, but I'd assume he would could get poked out by most bursty champs since he is so squishy early and in Mini Gnar form. If you play safe and catch your q's, I'm sure you could not get sh*t on Wink
Julian
Julian
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly 14/8/2014, 7:32 am

Braum,yes that's it!! God was wracking my brain.. ;_;

True, best options probably to treat em like an ADC. He'd get wrecked up top by heavy duty camps, and probably be unlikely for med with so so possible vsing med laners, though if experienced enough can probably make it.
Kelly
Kelly
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by piramatrix 14/8/2014, 7:35 am

well he looks kinda cute :p i'll try him out as soon as i have the time to play some LOL
piramatrix
piramatrix
Forum Master (1500 posts)
Forum Master (1500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heartstop123 14/8/2014, 10:24 am

Haven't played In at least a week, I have been getting back into 07. But I saw that he came out, I heard he is actually very balanced and he is only good if played by someone who knows how to play him. I also heard botrk is the only item you NEED for damage but most builds  I have seen are straight damage rather than bruiser / tank

EDIT: just played a game with gnar in it. he just afk farmed the whole game. literally, didn't even go to teamfights.. they still beat us though Mad

Last edited by Heartstop123 on 14/8/2014, 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Heartstop123
Heartstop123
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Brutal Swede 14/8/2014, 3:33 pm

I haven't played him myself but from what ive seen he seems like a pretty bad champion, or maybe its just because people havent learned how to play him yet Razz
Brutal Swede
Brutal Swede
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Woah Rand 14/8/2014, 4:59 pm

In my personal view gnar is not a strong champ. Right now he/she/it is pretty balanced but is not with the current meta. The current meta is bruiser tank and gnar fits tht if u start bork then full tank after but the dmg compared to a nid or mao or irelia just doesnt match. Then tank wise gnar is pretty good but i just think he is not a priority pick in a game. Or i might just b saying this cause i suck as gnar but i could not win lane as him

Last edited by Woah Rand on 14/8/2014, 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Woah Rand
Woah Rand
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Smugleaf 14/8/2014, 5:01 pm

Not sure what to think of him yet. However from what i've heard he has base defensive as mini gnar are comparable to that of sona along with pretty bad range (400 that scales up to 500 I believe?) I'd imagine he'd get dumped on top lane to most "Meta" ranged tops. Particularly ryze because I don't believe he has any MR per lvl. However I never played him before (although i do plan to buy him and play him nonstop.)

Regarding him being in other roles that aren't top i'd imagine his weaknesses would be VERY apparent in other lanes. Mid/adc he'd be massively outranged, that and he has to melee which is very bad for a carry. Jungle, his low base defensive stats as mini gnar and lack of innate sustain would probably mean he would get shit on by the camps and his ganks would be unreliable unless certain very specific situations were met. As for support I find he would be too vulnerable to all ins. If they all in him/his adc as mini gnar he has no cc to do anything. There's always mega gnar but I doubt a lot of people would want to get in melee range of that thing.

On another note he's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Smugleaf
Smugleaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Julian 14/8/2014, 5:45 pm

For those who say "he's not in the meta" or "he's a bad champ" think about Lucian. When he first came out, he was considered useless, then someone realized he's not. I think Gnar has HUGE potential if you build him right. I think bork is kinda not that needed. I agree the life steal is a bonus, but I'd go vamp if i really need extra ls. Ie is SO strong on him its not even funny.
Julian
Julian
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by KMV 14/8/2014, 10:16 pm

Julian wrote:For those who say "he's not in the meta" or "he's a bad champ" think about Lucian. When he first came out, he was considered useless, then someone realized he's not. I think Gnar has HUGE potential if you build him right. I think bork is kinda not that needed. I agree the life steal is a bonus, but I'd go vamp if i really need extra ls. Ie is SO strong on him its not even funny.

Tank Gnar will 100% be played in the LCS or at least attempted to be run by someone. He has very good enhanced damage and to be honest I think all you really need on that champion is a bork and then straight tank. Hes like a Nidalee and Shyvanna combined merely because of how versital Gnar is. As for some of the item builds, IE on Gnar sure he can do ok with it in range for but, in melee form that item is essentially dead weight as his movespeed sucks and he will get kited and IE on champions that get kited is not worth because of cost. I do agree with Triforce being good on him because, his melee form needs the MS. By far I think the 1 Lifesteal Item + straight tank is best for actual team play but, in solo queue you can get away with going straight damage.

KMV
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Woah Rand 15/8/2014, 12:45 am

KMV wrote:
Julian wrote:For those who say "he's not in the meta" or "he's a bad champ" think about Lucian. When he first came out, he was considered useless, then someone realized he's not. I think Gnar has HUGE potential if you build him right. I think bork is kinda not that needed. I agree the life steal is a bonus, but I'd go vamp if i really need extra ls. Ie is SO strong on him its not even funny.

Tank Gnar will 100% be played in the LCS or at least attempted to be run by someone. He has very good enhanced damage and to be honest I think all you really need on that champion is a bork and then straight tank. Hes like a Nidalee and Shyvanna combined merely because of how versital Gnar is. As for some of the item builds, IE on Gnar sure he can do ok with it in range for but, in melee form that item is essentially dead weight as his movespeed sucks and he will get kited and IE on champions that get kited is not worth because of cost. I do agree with Triforce being good on him because, his melee form needs the MS. By far I think the 1 Lifesteal Item + straight tank is best for actual team play but, in solo queue you can get away with going straight damage.
Not in the 2014 lcs, mayb one of the asian teams will try it out but i dont c na or eu using gnar, after playing him more i feel he can be viable if you get mobile like u said, triforce i think would be good but hard to use as its a very expensive item and if u fall behind early u will have 0 tank and b in the middle of triforce. I think the classic sunfire cape would be good as a first item and triforce 3rd item or maby just get phage for movement. Also i was just attempted bloodthirster on gnar and tht seemed to work out better than bork, it worked pretty well with the shield gotten from the range attacks. And str8 attack in soloq i tried when my team fell behind to carry but it didnt work out tht well. Gnar is very very strong all dmg but not hyper carry power.
Woah Rand
Woah Rand

Back to top Go down

Post by KMV 15/8/2014, 2:36 am

Woah Rand wrote:
KMV wrote:

Not in the 2014 lcs, mayb one of the asian teams will try it out but i dont c na or eu using gnar, after playing him more i feel he can be viable if you get mobile like u said, triforce i think would be good but hard to use as its a very expensive item and if u fall behind early u will have 0 tank and b in the middle of triforce. I think the classic sunfire cape would be good as a first item and triforce 3rd item or maby just get phage for movement. Also i was just attempted bloodthirster on gnar and tht seemed to work out better than bork, it worked pretty  well with the shield gotten from the range attacks. And str8 attack in soloq i tried when my team fell behind to carry but it didnt work out tht well. Gnar is very very strong all dmg but not hyper carry power.

Gnar will be enabled by the group stages of worlds so teams can plan to use him for that. If it is found he is more viable in the jungle then sure straight tank all the way. If it is top lane 95% will get at least 1 damage item 1st whether it be bork, triforce, and possibly even static shiv like Korean nidalees and top lane alistars seen in competitive.

KMV
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by fishingman71 17/8/2014, 3:56 am

I personally feel that gnar has a lot of potential, but at the same time I dont know wether to build his tanky, or damagy? If you build him damage, he isnt as usefull in mega gnar form. If you build tanky, he isnt very useful in little gnar form
fishingman71
fishingman71
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heartstop123 17/8/2014, 7:35 am

So gnar has the lowest win rate this month and one of the highest pick rates... So ban gnar if you want to win
Heartstop123
Heartstop123
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by KMV 17/8/2014, 7:41 am

fishingman71 wrote:I personally feel that gnar has a lot of potential, but at the same time I dont know wether to build his tanky, or damagy? If you build him damage, he isnt as usefull in mega gnar form. If you build tanky, he isnt very useful in little gnar form

Let me put it this way if you go 2 damage items and you aren't abolsutely shitting on your lane you are pretty useless mid game. Also, on a side note Gnars win rate is at a 38.5% win rate which is even lower then Vel'koz's win rate in his 1st couple days. If it were possible to stay in his range form you very well could build straight damage and do fine. As far as I'm concerned either no one in NA has any idea how to play this champion and have to wait for the Koreans to show people how to play it right or he is just isn't OP.

KMV
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heartstop123 17/8/2014, 3:56 pm

I think the key to playing this champ well is positioning. You build 2/3 damage items and the rest tank items and try to stay back until you about to transform then vault in and wreck havoc on their back line while big
Heartstop123
Heartstop123
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by KMV 17/8/2014, 7:49 pm

Heartstop123 wrote:I think the key to playing this champ well is positioning. You build 2/3 damage items and the rest tank items and try to stay back until you about to transform then vault in and wreck havoc on their back line while big

It would be easier for a Darius to do that then Mega Gnar. His MS is so bad in his mega form any adc with half a brain could easily kite it out.

KMV
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heartstop123 18/8/2014, 3:47 am

KMV wrote:
Heartstop123 wrote:I think the key to playing this champ well is positioning. You build 2/3 damage items and the rest tank items and try to stay back until you about to transform then vault in and wreck havoc on their back line while big

It would be easier for a Darius to do that then Mega Gnar. His MS is so bad in his mega form any adc with half a brain could easily kite it out.
true, but if mega gnar lands in front of your adc then it's stun ult throw-a-house auto dead. He has cc for days and that is something Darius just doesn't have
Heartstop123
Heartstop123
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down