Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beware of new 07 trade trick/scam! Quite smart actually!

3 posters

Go down

Beware of new 07 trade trick/scam! Quite smart actually! Empty Beware of new 07 trade trick/scam! Quite smart actually!

Post by Pharcyde 14/5/2013, 3:31 am

So all of us know about trade swappers, who try giving you 1669 rather than 1.69m in trade swaps. Scamming by that requires you to get a very clueless or tired seller/merchant. But this new method is quite interesting and unorthodox.

What happened: I have been merchanting flax literally all day. A good 100k+ flax has passed through my hands today with a 1m stack. I started getting tired and lazy with my trades because I just figured I could unonciously catch a flip with my eye (with double checking math and all).

I had been getting strange trade events all day. People would trade me, put up the correct value, accept to the second trade screen then the second I accepted, they would just randomly reject and walk away. I noticed the same guy do this to me 3-4 times and it started irritating me because I thought he was trolling.

But what happened on my last trade was I made a error and actually had to cancel out of trade and re-enter trade. The scammer THEN flipped the price to the 1k offer that looks like 1m. I was not paying attention at all since it was my error and the person previously offered a valid price and went through most of the trade. Thank god I noticed it by the skin of my teeth and rejected. I was about a second away from accepting before I noticed.

So in short - Scammers will randomly trade players offering valid prices until one of the sellers eventually makes an error. They then capitalize on the opportunity and offer a modified price/item that will most likely go unnoticed because the seller is too busy correcting their error and ensuring it doesn't happen again.

This is one of the more unique and cleaver scamming methods I have seen, and can easily be fallen for if you have been merchanting all day and your head just starts to see numbers.

Be careful guys and remember to triple check your trades at all times! It is very easy to forget to do so when you make an error within trade.
Pharcyde
Pharcyde
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Beware of new 07 trade trick/scam! Quite smart actually! Empty Re: Beware of new 07 trade trick/scam! Quite smart actually!

Post by Heartstop123 14/5/2013, 4:08 am

this is probably the oldest most well known scam ever.
Heartstop123
Heartstop123
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Beware of new 07 trade trick/scam! Quite smart actually! Empty Re: Beware of new 07 trade trick/scam! Quite smart actually!

Post by Pharcyde 14/5/2013, 4:15 am

Even in this situation? I've never had players only try to do it when I made a mistake. I've had a lot try accidentally clicking out of trade then doing the scam.
Pharcyde
Pharcyde
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Timpoppel 8/6/2013, 12:16 pm

ID fall for it to probably if i was tired

Timpoppel
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down