Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help choosing a laptop

+4
Dr_Dragonoid
Magic Pixels
Minato
Arch Serene
8 posters

Go down

Need help choosing a laptop  Empty Need help choosing a laptop

Post by Arch Serene 20/3/2014, 10:54 pm

Hey guys,

I am really bad with choosing anything related to technology, I am usually like - oo it looks nice and is cheapish, then would go an buy that aha.

I am going to go college to do a course in business (then plan on going uni to do business and finance), so I would need a laptop which will last a few years.
Here are a few stats i would like my laptop to have;

1. High resolution HD screen + good Graphics Card, (I know for business related courses you wouldnt think that would matter but my eyes have been spoilt in the last few years  Razz)
  2. Decent RAM, RS would probably be the only game I play but for smoother performance of the pc on the whole
  3. I am not too fussed on HardDrive (preferably over 500GB, but I will probably buy an external HDD)
  4. A good SoundCard  Very Happy  Laughing 

Also my budget is around £1000 (according to Google that is equivalent to $1650.30)

I can't think of anything else but feel free to ask Very Happy

Thanks for any help

Jay.

Last edited by The Baby on 21/3/2014, 12:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Arch Serene
Arch Serene
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Need help choosing a laptop  Empty Re: Need help choosing a laptop

Post by Minato 20/3/2014, 11:36 pm

Where will you be buying it as in what websites?

Last edited by Minato on 21/3/2014, 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Minato
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Magic Pixels 20/3/2014, 11:57 pm

Hi I know I'm new and all but I'll weigh in on this :p.
If a desktop replacement is what you're looking for I would recommend a Lenovo Y510p
It would be ideal for gaming ( with the dual GT 755m which beats a 770m at a low price). The screen is 1080p and based on my experience with it, the screen is decent too. Again, this is only if you're looking for a desktop replacement though as the battery life for this thing is shit ( 3 hours max).
For a general purpose laptop to carry around , I would personally go with a 1080p ultrabook with a Intel Haswell processor and integrated graphics which are honestly more than enough for RS. You might also want to look at custom laptops such as the Clevo made ones as they are pretty cheap and they have a huge range of options.

Magic Pixels
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Arch Serene 21/3/2014, 12:08 am

Minato wrote:Where will you be buying it as in what websites?

I guess that would depend on the laptop and where it is available (UK sites preferably though).

Magic Pixels wrote:Hi I know I'm new and all but I'll weigh in on this :p.
If a desktop replacement is what you're looking for I would recommend a Lenovo Y510p
It would be ideal for gaming ( with the dual GT 755m which beats a 770m at a low price). The screen is 1080p and based on my experience with it, the screen is decent too. Again, this is only if you're looking for a desktop replacement though as the battery life for this thing is shit ( 3 hours max).
For a general purpose laptop to carry around , I would personally go with a 1080p ultrabook with a Intel Haswell processor and integrated graphics which are honestly more than enough for RS. You might also want to look at custom laptops such as the Clevo made ones as they are pretty cheap and they have a huge range of options.

Thanks for your reply Pix (if its alright for me to call you that). It would be a laptop, my room can barely fit my bed in atm aha. I will be looking at you suggestions too Very Happy

Thanks

Jay.

Arch Serene
Arch Serene
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Magic Pixels 21/3/2014, 3:30 am

The Baby wrote:
Minato wrote:Where will you be buying it as in what websites?

I guess that would depend on the laptop and where it is available (UK sites preferably though).

Magic Pixels wrote:Hi I know I'm new and all but I'll weigh in on this :p.

Thanks for your reply Pix (if its alright for me to call you that). It would be a laptop, my room can barely fit my bed in atm aha. I will be looking at you suggestions too Very Happy

Thanks

Jay.

Same, I can barely fit anything where I live. Just to add some more info about the Y510P, if you are considering this laptop just remember that the touchpad that Lenovo uses for this laptop is pretty bad so be prepared to use an external mouse if you are considering this laptop.

Magic Pixels
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr_Dragonoid 21/3/2014, 9:10 am

Have you thought about macbook pro?
or
Lenovo thinkpad ( i use it) even fits your requirements

Regards
Dragonoid
Dr_Dragonoid
Dr_Dragonoid
Tier 3 (300 posts)
Tier 3 (300 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Arch Serene 22/3/2014, 12:22 am

Pix, is what way is the touch pad bad? Design wise or by its performance?

I was considering macbook pro, but I just don't like the OS design. But again I hated IOS initially.

Thanks for your help guys.

Jay.
Arch Serene
Arch Serene
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironic 22/3/2014, 12:39 am

If you're looking for a decent Laptop, i would pick the Macbook Pro, having one myself it is all you need, never had a problem with it...
Ironic
Ironic
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Magic Pixels 22/3/2014, 1:16 am

Ironic wrote:If you're looking for a decent Laptop, i would pick the Macbook Pro, having one myself it is all you need, never had a problem with it...
Could be a good option. I used to have a Macbook Pro but I bootcamped Windows off it. Didn't really like OSX.

Magic Pixels
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by I like turtles 22/3/2014, 9:55 pm

It all depends on what you are going to use it for.

Anything media related I'd say get a mac or buy a laptop with superior specs and put mac OS on it. Other than that I wouldn't get one, I know it's a fairly re-used and old argument, mac has no game.

If you don't buy a MBP, then don't scimp on the extra few quid for the better processor or graphics card as it will increase the life span.

I'd have a look at sony vaio's or anything that has a number pad on the keyboard first at this would be a bit helpful assuming that you would be doing a lot of number work in a business course (I do drama, aka colouring in, don't judge me)

OR if your lazy like me, just go to any of the following brands websites and check out their laptops for business or gaming, they should have a good life span.

Dell
Hp
ACER
Lenovo
Asus

I like turtles
I like turtles
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Daxaal 23/3/2014, 12:42 am

A hp laptop that sort of fits your requirements would be this laptop

HP ENVY 17-j111tx Notebook PC
http://h20386.www2.hp.com/AustraliaStore/Product.aspx?pdetail=P323141&

i7 quad core processor
8gb ram (can upgrade to max ram of 16gb)
1tb storage
Dedicated 2gb graphics card
17.3 inch display, 1600px x 900px
Beats audio (4 speakers and 2 subwoofers)

Fingerprint scanner, no longer need to enter passwords just use your fingerprint if you want to Razz? Somewhat a bonus if you would like to use it

In Australia this laptop costs about $1500 Australian dollars which should be about 990 euros according to Google. Also depending on where you buy the laptop you can negotiate a price and possibly lower the price even more.
Daxaal
Daxaal
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Magic Pixels 23/3/2014, 4:14 am

The Baby wrote:Pix, is what way is the touch pad bad? Design wise or by its performance?

I was considering macbook pro, but I just don't like the OS design. But again I hated IOS initially.

Thanks for your help guys.

Jay.
I came from a macbook pro so honestly any windows laptop touchpad is pretty bad in comparison lol. Its mainly just the performance. The trackpad is a bit how do I put it .. a bit inaccurate for gaming at least. Its good enough for everyday use and honestly for gaming I use a mouse anyways.

Magic Pixels
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Roberto1 26/3/2014, 9:15 pm

I'm of the disposition that, if anyone wants a laptop and you don't pander to the usual notion that "you get what you pay for" - what do you get in what you pay £1700 I7 or I7 4*** mac, that you don't in what you pay £900 for? - or in my instance, i bought my brother in-law a laptop it was a Eurocom laptop, one of their insanely powerful machines - for £1100

Pros: -

Very powerful, the processing speed doesn't fluctuate, maintained well
can be upgraded with near to no experience with upgrading laptops, after market.
Cost, for me - £400 less than a Apple mac
Can run a "virtual Desktop" or parallel desktop as any windows/apple computer can, but with the added benefit of considerably better performance than the current high tier mac book pro. however it is harder to get Macintosh to work on windows ¬¬...
It is compatible with most games, which is the point of a gaming laptop

Cons:-

it weighs a tonne as compared to the mac. 4 kilos of tonnage in fact.
Its a windows or Linux computer - everyone hates Microsoft, not sure about the general idea of Linux, only ever used mac/windows
Doesn't have use of apples "Thunderbolt" hardware, but I'm sure there's an external device for such instances.
It is not a mac, to some - this is a dire choice maker - is it mac? no? well Fuu im not getting it
3 less hours battery life than apple, unless you upgrade.

All computers perform to the degree that you let it - if you can get the maximum performance from a computer and the maximum lifespan fantastic! but if you are one of those people who suffer from the seemingly inevitable cache dump windows suffers from (mac does too, to a lower degree, it just handles these things better and takes longer for a noticeable drop of performance) *which severely hindered performance over time unless, like me, you clear it and maintain your computer regularly (MSCONFIG, DEFRAG, FAN CLEAN)- by maintain i also mean upgrade* then obviously you are going to steer towards the seeming aspect that apple products are more reliable. Reliability isn't worth the additional cost of an apple mac.
for the additional cost you can buy additional things for your laptop and learn in a week, yes a week on how to do basic maintenance. Lets say you buy a generic £900 laptop same spec as the mac pro, you can find one, just might be a refirb, good enough - mine is a refirb, works brilliantly.

A cheap laptop - broken laptop - you can usually get "for spare parts" on e*ay - basically so you can break it apart and look inside for the makings etc - I got mine for £11 but I'm a genius. with a similar make up to yours <<i don't actually think so just so you know...
An external 500Gig Harddrive with as many replacement cables for it to make it work. and please don't put a coffee cup on it. but this sets you back for £50 - not required since you can access your hard drive with a little know how even when your laptop is screwed.- but its always nice to have peace of mind knowing you can access your important files even if your laptop dies on you
A back up DVD CD - which you can make yourself
Learn how to remove a virus without using virus software, it is actually quite easy buy a really cheap £50 laptop (you're saving £700 on a mac so another £50 for a laptop you are going to use maybe 4 times is no big deal) using the other laptop to root out and destroy viruses, is pretty much what I've been doing for the past... 10 yrs of using a computer, I learnt how when i was 13, the joys of being home schooled and being surrounded by technology
Windows 8 is ugly IMO - i don't like it, also isn't compatible with many predated software additions and games - Microsoft suck. simple as. and I'm an Xbox fan, simply because of gears of war. SO Win7 cheap OS 64x bit A back up and reusable with any laptop sets you back £50 - 95 - usually a laptop has its own product code - be it on the bottom of the laptop or within control panel - its there, record it and keep it safe.
a laptop keyboard and fan clean kit - varies
An additional Cooling fan for your laptop - just in case it gets a little too toasty on your lap. good *quiet* *non fan ones* cost about £40
The laptop Manual- The how tos and what nots when it comes to your laptop - usually shows you how to open your laptop -
**-A crash course on how to repair, maintain and clean a laptop - usually self taught nightly course you can do in spare time. at home. this will show you how to open your laptop without all the fan components flying at you and other stuff you need to know and for the unemployed college student, it is also a step towards employment if you so require it.
**-How to maintain performance to reduce amount of times required for a complete restart of the computer OS.
oh and personal pref... a mouse...

a crash course is free btw - they are online tuts - which you can find - where there's a will there's a way - if it saves you money, why not?

£320 give or take additional spend for your laptop - space permitting not that any of the above takes space - just needs to be kept tidily and safe. - Admittedly i have the knowledge of this sort of stuff, not everyone does, people opt for simplicity, gotta learn how to do things yourself otherwise if the matter of money is involved in repair be it for apple mac or a laptop, you're forced to take the payout option. hell people even get paid for the above knowledge. you know the people who charge you £50 for the privilege of rooting around your private files, they are in the back room knocking one out to the private convos you have, it doesn't take 2 days to fix a laptop. (or even 14 days..)
Passionate about DIY and marginally to much cheaper options, the genius bar Apple have are good, they just don't have a place EVERYWHERE - and you don't have to wait for bookings if you DIY Smile

my essays....basically to summarize the entire post - mac isn't worth the additional $$ - its nice and they run smooth and they look good - but for what it is and for simply "gaming, websurfing and word processing" it doesnt justify the price of a single unit. my brother in law is a networker - cisco etc, the additional processing power the laptop i provided was required for the amount of work that is requested of him. a mac didnt meet the requirements of the lab environment.

i dont like touch pads... i have a gaming mouse with my laptop - if I'm in bed with my laptop... giggity - i have a piece of wood - giggity - sat next to my laptop with a mouse mat on it, and use that. - i dont like touch pads.
Roberto1
Roberto1
Tier 2 (100 posts)
Tier 2 (100 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down