Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can alternative energy effectively replace fossil fuels? [passed]

+5
RedRaven
Ms. Santa
Kelly
JeeOh
piramatrix
9 posters

Go down

Can alternative energy effectively replace fossil fuels? [passed] Empty Can alternative energy effectively replace fossil fuels? [passed]

Post by piramatrix 16/7/2014, 5:01 am

Can alternative energy effectively replace fossil fuels?

Whether alternative energy sources such as biofuels, hydrogen, solar, geothermal, or nuclear energy can meet energy demands better than finite fossil fuels such as oil and coal remains hotly debated.

pro's:

Proponents of alternative energy argue that fossil fuels are inefficient, unsustainable, environmentally destructive, and the primary contributor to global climate change. They say renewable energies are a viable and immediately needed alternative to fossil fuel use that could boost the US economy and reduce reliance on foreign energy sources.

cons:

Opponents contend that many technological hurdles have to be overcome before alternative energy can replace even a small portion of the power provided by fossil fuels. They say that fossil fuels will last hundreds of years longer, be made increasingly efficient, remain the most economical choice, and that reliance on inefficient alternative energies will hurt the economy.

aditional info can be found here:
clicky:
piramatrix
piramatrix
Forum Master (1500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Can alternative energy effectively replace fossil fuels? [passed] Empty Re: Can alternative energy effectively replace fossil fuels? [passed]

Post by JeeOh 17/7/2014, 2:59 pm

Obviously the answer is yes, just a matter of when.

Nuclear power ftw.
JeeOh
JeeOh
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Can alternative energy effectively replace fossil fuels? [passed] Empty Re: Can alternative energy effectively replace fossil fuels? [passed]

Post by Kelly 18/7/2014, 5:56 pm

I feel as time continues it grows more and more necessary for us to find alternative energy consumptions, besides fossil fuels. Long-term we consume more fossil fuels than we have available to use, so regardless we're going to end up running out. "Fossil fuels are non-renewable and take a long time to form through natural processes.1"

In addition to us simply running out of fossil fuels, it's overall much better for the environment if we continue to seek out more permanent alternative solutions, and over the last decade or two we have made leaps and strides in the direction of doing so. The problem we face moving forward, however, is simply the cost in which it takes to use said alternative solutions, as opposed to simply opting for fossil fuels.
Kelly
Kelly
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms. Santa 18/7/2014, 10:58 pm

The amount of land needed for solar panels to power the world, european nations, and Denmark respectively:
Can alternative energy effectively replace fossil fuels? [passed] Solar-thermal-power-bb001

Really thats not viable?
Ms. Santa
Ms. Santa
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by RedRaven 19/7/2014, 5:29 am

Kelly pretty much summed up my thoughts, as technology advances it will hopefully give more options to. As the world population increases we will use up more fossils quicker and one day run out unless an alternative can be found
RedRaven
RedRaven
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gildarts 21/7/2014, 10:36 am

Well.... where to begin lol

I disagree that we will ever be able to replace fossil fuels with alternative means of energy, Can you imagine a electric powered airplane?.. No that's because its pretty much impossible to develop the amount of energy kerosene can with electricity, however electric cars are possible with one big downfall which is speed, that is a major issue in our day and age seeing as we need to get to places fast, further more even if we where to develop enough power from batteries to make a car travel the same speed as a petrol powered car, they will be extremely heavy meaning again it is slow.
Considering the time and money it will take for us to even develop something as useful as Crude Oil, i highly dough any government will invest in it.

I have more to say but ill wait for a reply first Razz

Gildarts
Gildarts
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Natsu 21/7/2014, 10:54 am

Kid wrote:Well.... where to begin lol

I disagree that we will ever be able to replace fossil fuels with alternative means of energy, Can you imagine a electric powered airplane?.. No that's because its pretty much impossible to develop the amount of energy kerosene can with electricity, however electric cars are possible with one big downfall which is speed, that is a major issue in our day and age seeing as we need to get to places fast, further more even if we where to develop enough power from batteries to make a car travel the same speed as a petrol powered car, they will be extremely heavy meaning again it is slow.
Considering the time and money it will take for us to even develop something as useful as Crude Oil, i highly dough any government will invest in it.

I have more to say but ill wait for a reply first Razz

100 years back this would have been the very same argument given against possibly developing something like a car or even a light bulb. At the rate that humans are advancing in technology I would say that those problems are at most very small issues.
Also, it is very much possible atm to live completely off of alternative energy although it is just rather expensive.
Natsu
Natsu
Event Demon

Back to top Go down

Post by [ADMIN] Billious 21/7/2014, 12:58 pm

The answer is a definite yes. Not only is it possible but in many situations it's possible right now.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/roundworld-solarpowered-plane-solar-impulse-2-completes-first-test-flight-in-switzerland/story-fnjww1r5-1226941374693
The electric plane, for example, already exists, it's just real slow. However it can fly nonstop for 120 hours and is scheduled to fly completely around the world in one trip next year. A lot of work needs to be done before it could be considered for commercial flight, but it has other applications such as a low orbit satellite system.
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/08/almost-orbital-solar-powered-drone-offered-as-atmospheric-satellite/

As for completely living off alternative energy being too expensive, I can set up a house on solar power for around $6,000 aud which is not much at all in the end for never having another power bill. However designing a house to never need heating/cooling, recycling water etc does cost a lot more. But over 25 years (a basic minimum lifespan for a house) it's cheaper since there are no power and limited water bills etc over that time.
http://www.infiniteenergy.com.au/case-studies/residential/joshs-house

And if your still not convinced then check out the 2006 documentary "Who killed the electric car" which is based around a production vehicle from the mid 90's. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489037/
[ADMIN] Billious
[ADMIN] Billious
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by KMV 21/7/2014, 8:47 pm

Actually there are sports car electric vehicles. You see the eco-friendly celebrities and rich folk around here drive one and promote it. It cost roughly $4 in electricity for 170 Miles. Sure its not as fast as your standard Lambo or Ferrari but, its a lot cheaper to use then 5 Miles to the Gallon.

KMV
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by piramatrix 22/7/2014, 3:36 am

i'm pretty sure it will happen fossil fuels will be replaced someday, just not in the near future. a big problem are the big oil corporations and oil lords. they have to much money and power and they are not willing to lose it. they are making deals with multiple presidents to keep using oil and not fund any reaserch towards new alternative energy's in trade for massive fundings for their election campaigns. this is a huge setback to any mayor renewable energy project.

something i myself am very intrested in is the reasearch towards nuclear fusion. it had an enormous energy potential and unlike nuclear fission it doesn't leave any radioactive waste.
for those who don't know what nuclear fusion is:
clicky:
piramatrix
piramatrix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down