Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should The modification of Human genes be continued? [passed]

+5
JeeOh
piramatrix
GsKiki
KMV
Gildarts
9 posters

Go down

Should The modification of Human genes be continued? [passed] Empty Should The modification of Human genes be continued? [passed]

Post by Gildarts 24/7/2014, 6:09 am

Should the modification of human genes be pursued?

research:

What is human genetic engineering?

Human genetic engineering is a process by which scientists and medical professionals alter the genetic makeup, or DNA, in a living human cell.

What is the use of human genetic engineering?

- Fixing defective genes that cause diseases and other genetic complications.
- Building better athletes with gene doping.
- Creating designer babies.
- Testing for traits unrelated to disease.

How is it done?

A new gene is insert into a virus-like organism. This organism is then allowed to enter the cells and insert the new gene into the genome.

source: my brain (Piramatrix's)

Last edited by Kid on 2/8/2014, 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Gildarts
Gildarts
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Should The modification of Human genes be continued? [passed] Empty Re: Should The modification of Human genes be continued? [passed]

Post by KMV 25/7/2014, 8:32 am

Then once that virus spreads thats how we arrive to the movie known as "I am Legend".

No, but seriously that shits creepy. You also have to imagine this right now things like that aren't standard or obtainable easily but, in 40 - 50 years from now that could very well be the wave the Internet, Computers, Cocaine, and flat screen TV's are to us now. I wouldn't want to instantly change off some engineered virus.

KMV
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Should The modification of Human genes be continued? [passed] Empty Re: Should The modification of Human genes be continued? [passed]

Post by GsKiki 25/7/2014, 9:53 am

Being genetic science freak as I am (xD) my answer is pretty simple. Yes, but extremely controlled and specific.

Genetic research can help us understand and cure some diseases that before we could only dream off. It would allow us to specifically treat cause differently for every person.
Now people usually get it wrong with thinking that genetic researches are for creating babies, doping and stuff like that. Of course, like in any other science skill there are some of them who are delusional and would like to use something so amazing for something extremely unethical.

Which is why I think rules and laws about it should be stricter. But it should definitely be continued...Think of the possibilities... Smile
GsKiki
GsKiki
Forum Addict (750 posts)
Forum Addict (750 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by piramatrix 25/7/2014, 11:29 am

i'm also pro gene manipulation. we could make humans resistant to any known desease. only way someone would become sick would be when there is a new unknow decease. but yeah i think it should be mointored very closely. yes there will be miss use of gene manipulation but i think the pro's outway the cons.
piramatrix
piramatrix
Forum Master (1500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by JeeOh 25/7/2014, 5:09 pm

I agree with the above. It's up to the people who disagree with it to provide a reason why not.
JeeOh
JeeOh
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by RedRaven 25/7/2014, 6:57 pm

GsKiki wrote:Being genetic science freak as I am (xD) my answer is pretty simple. Yes, but extremely controlled and specific.

Genetic research can help us understand and cure some diseases that before we could only dream off. It would allow us to specifically treat cause differently for every person.
Now people usually get it wrong with thinking that genetic researches are for creating babies, doping and stuff like that. Of course, like in any other science skill there are some of them who are delusional and would like to use something so amazing for something extremely unethical.

Which is why I think rules and laws about it should be stricter. But it should definitely be continued...Think of the possibilities... Smile

^this, I also totally agree that the governments should make it more stricter to ensure that there is no abuse or malicious harm done. I feel it should continue as current times and future it will help us cure unknown/known diseases and perhaps expand the human life span. Smile
RedRaven
RedRaven
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by gunmage8 25/7/2014, 8:15 pm

As the saying goes, we shouldn't be playing god. I would love to have the cure for all the diseases but think about how expensive it would be. Only the rich would be able to afford it even many years after it has been safely tested. I feel as though it would be a huge problem later on.
gunmage8
gunmage8
Forum Addict (750 posts)
Forum Addict (750 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by piramatrix 25/7/2014, 8:30 pm

actually this is already being used on a small scale. scientist are modifying certain bacteria so that the produce insuline. before the mayority of insuline was ectacted out of the stomach of pigs if i remember corretly. by modifying the bacteria they can create cleaner and cheaper insuline. this insuline is used to treat people who have diabetes. money would not really be the problem, the biggest problem is the amount of research it would take to find a cure for every disease before it can be moded into the human dna.
piramatrix
piramatrix

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms. Santa 27/7/2014, 4:21 am

I'm not really sure how I feel on this topic as it has the potential to save countless lives but it also
has the problem to seriously get out of hand. I guess if it was on a very limited scale then it would be okay but even then there is no real way to control it when it gets to a very advanced stage. I'm just iffy on the subject.
Ms. Santa
Ms. Santa
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Skrillex 27/7/2014, 9:19 am

Ms. Santa wrote:I'm not really sure how I feel on this topic as it has the potential to save countless lives but it also
has the problem to seriously get out of hand. I guess if it was on a very limited scale then it would be okay but even then there is no real way to control it when it gets to a very advanced stage. I'm just iffy on the subject.

Yea, I agree with based santa. Definitely a lot of potential for good and so it should be embraced but also held to a certain ethical standard.
Skrillex
Skrillex
Grandmaster (2000 posts)
Grandmaster (2000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by piramatrix 27/7/2014, 11:43 am

of course there should be some ethical regulations. but there will always be people who will use this for the wrong reasons. same story now with medication, its helps to save millions of life, but still some people take it for the sole purpose of getting high.
piramatrix
piramatrix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down