Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should Capital Punishment be abolished all together? [PASSED]

4 posters

Go down

Should Capital Punishment be abolished all together? [PASSED]  Empty Should Capital Punishment be abolished all together? [PASSED]

Post by Gildarts 2/8/2014, 1:01 am

Should Capital Punishment be abolished all together? [PASSED]  Debate10

DEBATE TOPIC
Law: Should the death penalty be abolished all together?

TOPIC LEADER(S)
Kid

RESARCH
More opinion based none needed.

DEBATE

I have a short opinion on this and it is yes it should be, this is because we go against our own rules when carrying such a sentence out, punishing murder with murder is as stupid as trying to put fire out with fire.

What are your thoughts on the topic at hand?
Do you also agree with me or do you believe that it should still be available?

~ Want to suggest a topic for a debate? Submit suggestions here (clicky)!! ~

Last edited by Kid on 8/8/2014, 5:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gildarts
Gildarts
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Should Capital Punishment be abolished all together? [PASSED]  Empty Re: Should Capital Punishment be abolished all together? [PASSED]

Post by piramatrix 2/8/2014, 10:49 am

if have mixed feelings about this, i feel like some people definitely deserve the death sentence. but then again if we kill the criminals, doesn't that make as just as bad as them?? also maybe death is just the easy way out for the criminal, and they deserve to be punished harder.
piramatrix
piramatrix
Forum Master (1500 posts)
Forum Master (1500 posts)

Back to top Go down

Should Capital Punishment be abolished all together? [PASSED]  Empty Re: Should Capital Punishment be abolished all together? [PASSED]

Post by Gildarts 2/8/2014, 12:29 pm

TBH in a certain aspect the actual criminal on death row could find it worse, just because of the mental trauma they are being put through (sitting there for a few days knowing they will die), how ever in my personal opinion even if someone has killed another no ones life should be taken as a reaction to the initial event, i believe a life sentence in prion is just as dab either way they are going to die just one method saves more money than the other.
Gildarts
Gildarts

Back to top Go down

Post by Clan_List 2/8/2014, 7:36 pm

Personally i think it should be removed since on several occasions in the usa ppl who were sentenced to death later on were found not guilty of the charges based off new findings or evidence. Due to this i feel that it does more harm as once someone is dead the action cannot be reversed if they are later found innocent..to it also puts their family in trauma and suffering if they later learn that a loved one is found innocent.

The below quote i have taken from a site which shows some cases of the above happening..i have taken a quote of one innocent man which was sentenced to death but later found innocent.

Carlos DeLuna Texas Conviction: 1983, Executed: 1989
A Chicago Tribune investigation released in 2006 revealed groundbreaking evidence that Texas may have executed an innocent man in 1989. The defendant, Carlos DeLuna, was executed for the fatal stabbing of Texas convenience store clerk Wanda Lopez in 1983. New evidence uncovered by reporters Maurice Possley and Steve Mills casts doubt on DeLuna’s guilt and points towards another man, Carlos Hernandez, who had a record of similar crimes and repeatedly confessed to the murder. A news piece aired on ABC’s "World News Tonight” also covered this story.

information in quote was taken from deathpenaltyinfo.org, i do not take credits nor claim the information as my own but information which belongs to this source.

Some criminals to also see death as an escape , plus killing them does it make us any better then them or the same level? I would rather see a murderer behind bars for life knowing that they are doing the time they deserve rather then being sentenced to death if they wanted it...this is just my thoughts i may add more later on. <3

~Dee Very Happy Smile Razz

]EDIT: i have modified the source link, if it still is not allowed to be mentioned i will omit it from my post. It was only added to back up that i do not take credit for the information that was provided in the quote.
Clan_List
Clan_List
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Bashfluff 2/8/2014, 8:45 pm

Articles are in the news daily about how corrupt the system is. Police killing people and getting away with it, judges ignoring evidence to get convictions when political dissonants are on trial, and a depressing amount of people being made to admit guilt even when evidence proves them innocent.

Is this the system that you trust to make sure that we only kill the people who deserve it? It doesn't matter how many rules we have to protect the innocent if people don't follow those rules in trivial matters. If we had confidence in our justice system to the point where we felt that they'd only want to execute the guilty, I could see it, but that's not a system that we have. It might not be a system we ever have. That's why we must have a way to reverse any and all judgement. Death is the one punishment we can't reverse.

Now, let's assume that a person who gets the death penalty is guilty. Crimes that result in death do require some sort of mental issues, do they not? I mean, few people in their right mind do what would earn the death penalty. Why shouldn't we focus on treating them, learning from them so that we can prevent these heinous situations from occurring? They're still people with mental problems they had no control over. Don't we treat the sick? We should! We should always strive to do that above all else.

There's no reason why capital punishment exists as a punishment. It's revenge, plain and simple. It's a barbaric embodiment of our desire to lash out and hurt people that have hurt us. That should not be what drives justice ever.

Bashfluff
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down