Index
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[PASSED]Should democracy be imposed?[PASSED]

4 posters

Go down

[PASSED]Should democracy be imposed?[PASSED] Empty [PASSED]Should democracy be imposed?[PASSED]

Post by piramatrix 8/9/2014, 8:48 am

Should democraty be imposed?

[PASSED]Should democracy be imposed?[PASSED] Debate11
in this topic we asks ourselfs the question of the value of democracy as opposed to other systems, and whether democracy is so important that it ought to be required. Although hypothetically the motion could be interpreted as a government imposing democracy on its own country, recent history points to what is probably a more reasonable interpretation: whether governments ought to impose democracy on other nations. The use of the verb "impose" suggests that such nations would be at least somewhat opposed to this.

pro's:
- Interventions can be successful given the right conditions.
- Imposing democracy can be a way to support individuals unable to fight for democracy themselves.
- Promoting democracy promotes peace.
- Because democracy is the best form of government, it is not wrong-- and indeed may even be our obligation-- to bring it to those who do not have it.

con's:
- Democracy by its very nature cannot be imposed.
- The desire for, and fight for, democracy must come from within or else democratic government will not be sustainable.
- Unilateral action is burdensome, and dangerous.
- The imposition of democracy violates national sovereignty.
- Attempting to impose democracy may escalate conflict.

Last edited by Gildarts on 13/9/2014, 10:21 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Added banner in :))
piramatrix
piramatrix
Forum Master (1500 posts)
Forum Master (1500 posts)

Back to top Go down

[PASSED]Should democracy be imposed?[PASSED] Empty Re: [PASSED]Should democracy be imposed?[PASSED]

Post by Gecko 8/9/2014, 5:22 pm

I would have to disagree... Democracy is not that best form of government, as it is an ideal and as such is purely based on opinion, therefore saying one opinion is better than another would be inaccurate. Should it be imposed? No... people govern themselves, one power rises as another falls and as such is, has and will always be the direction of life. Imposing democracy would be like asking someone which is better, Apple, or Orange? They answer with orange and you force them to eat the apple.
Gecko
Gecko
Tier 4 (500 posts)
Tier 4 (500 posts)

Back to top Go down

[PASSED]Should democracy be imposed?[PASSED] Empty Re: [PASSED]Should democracy be imposed?[PASSED]

Post by Gildarts 11/9/2014, 11:04 am

I think it can actually do good look at some world leaders that pretty much screw over and economy and then get voted off, imposing a democracy in the UK probably the best idea seeing as there is soon much rivalry between conservatives and lib dems, and the rising thread of parties such a BNP which promote nothing but stupidness basically.

However democracy = corruption, i know for a fact anyone would take $10,000 to just support a side.

Buut all in all i agree
Gildarts
Gildarts
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)
Forum Fanatic (1000 posts)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason6Mason 11/9/2014, 8:00 pm

Democracy, democracy, democracy... democracy. Is there such thing as democracy???

Well I believe you have deduced from this that I do not believe democracy exists.

Why you ask... well that's easy. Democracy as phrased by the great late Lincoln states that it is a 'rule by the people, for the people' and the rest.

I mean if you can truly tell me you live in a democratic country/state etc then tell me this; who actually makes the decisions...? If it was some you chose to represent you then have they really represented your true needs? NO! so why ask the stupid question... Just stop! OK!

Jason6Mason
Tier 1 (Registered)
Tier 1 (Registered)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down